“A Great Value in NE St. Pete”

Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway
Ranked #12 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Tallahassee, Florida
“A Great Value in NE St. Pete”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was my first time at this property and it won't be the last. I choose this hotel based on a combination of price and it's TripAdvisor rating and wasn't disappointed. I spent Labor Day weekend here. The good things started at check-in when I was given a complimentary upgrade to a King Suite. There was hardly anyone else on the third floor so it was very quiet even though I was close to the elevator. You could just about see your reflection in the tile in the public areas.

Two things I always look for are water pressure in the shower (pretty good) and the air conditioning (excellent). The mini-fridge kept things exceptionally cold. Very nice flat-screen TV.

The hot breakfast was good with plenty of choices from cereal to waffles to ultra-hard scrambled eggs and sausage patties.

There was no ice machine on the third floor despite a wall sign pointing to one end of the floor and the room didn't have a complimentary bottle of hair conditioner. This was apparently due to a transition in brands but the weekend desk clerk was clueless about the existence of the old supply in the office behind his station and gave a snipe-hunt story about guests preferring hand lotion over conditioner. The bathrooms are tiny, one person at a time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to contribute to our "Great Rating" her on TripAdvisor! Comfort Inn does not require conditioner but sounds like out front desk agent was able to get their hands on a back room supply to accommodate your request. Regarding Ice we do have those machines on the first and second floor but only soda on the 3rd floor. However, I am glad you enjoyed the impromptu complimentary upgrade to a king suite and were able to relax on our quiet third floor!

Please take the time to LIKE US at Facebook.com/ComfortInnStPete

Regards -

Jeremy Robinson
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Tampa Fl
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The room was nice and clean. The continental breakfast was good and had a variety of things to choose from. The ac unit worked great. The employees were super nice and helpful. Over all a good hotel to stay at.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Kaitlyn F
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hi Kaitlyn-

Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your great experience with the TripAdvisor World. I am glad you enjoyed the many options on our full hot breakfast buffet. Most people rave about the Belgian waffles, scrambled eggs and sausage along with the convenience of yogurt and fruit ;) I am glad the staff was friendly and everything was clean and working condition! Please like us at Facebook.com/ComfortInnStPete and we hope you stay with us again soon!

Sincerely -

Jeremy Robinson
GM
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

There were a lot of great things about this hotel but one disappointing interaction with a staff member spoiled the experience.

I was actually very happy with this hotel at first. The female staff member who checked me in was delightful – friendly, helpful and just a pleasure to deal with. My room was extremely clean and very comfortable and the hotel was conveniently located. I can’t think of anything that I would have changed.

However, the next morning it was as if I woke up in a completely different hotel. After an event the night before that went very late, I slept later than I had intended. It was close to 11:00 and not being certain of the checkout time, I called the front desk to ask. Finding that checkout was at 11:00, I explained that I was not quite ready and asked for a later checkout of noon.

Instead of being accommodated, I was told in the rudest, almost shaming tone I have ever heard from a hotel staff member that they did not do late checkouts. I then got a lecture about always knowing the checkout time of a hotel and I was told that I needed to leave the room immediately. He treated me like more of a freeloader than a guest.

I then apologized about my confusion with the checkout time and explained that I was neither dressed nor packed up. I was then told that I could take a few minutes but that I needed to leave as soon as possible. Which I did - leaving a couple of items behind in my haste, unfortunately.

I understand that no hotel is obligated to accommodate a late checkout request and that despite the apparent emptiness of the hotel the night before that there might have been a good reason that a late checkout could not be given that day. But the nasty way that it was handled was just unacceptable. It’s a shame that a lovely hotel like this one has such inflexible policies and such a rude desk clerk who feels that it is appropriate to shame and embarrass a guest who has a pretty common request.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JennAgain68
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I apologize for the inappropriate tone that you say you received. I assure you that is not tolerated and definitely sounds like a different hotel. However, I did speak with my staff in regards to this issue as we pride ourselves in customer satisfaction. Moreover, checkout time is 11am but we try to accommodate all that we can and Noon is generally the norm but if we had a sold out house the next day or not you should not have to feel that way and for that I apologize.

Sincerely -
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I stay at this string of hotels often due to a discount I get. This by far is the best. Very nice staff. Very clean rooms. Very close to good food and a short 25 min drive to the beach. I dealt with all three shifts at the front desk and they were great. I will return when in the area. Only one flaw is I like a larger breakfast selection. Other comforts seem to have more options.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Nesy76
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your nice review and we look forward to having you back! We are a top ranked hotel! Our hotel is ranked 3rd in the State and is in the top 13% in the Nation and we are on the rise!!!! As you know our breakfast does consist of Belgian Waffles, Scrambled Eggs, Sausage Patties, Fresh Fruit, Yogurt, Cereal, Coffee an assortment of Juices and Muffins and this is all included in your rate!
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed here while working on my move to the area. It was very clean and the staff was very friendly. Breakfast was great with lots of selections. You get a lot for your money and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Matthewatay
Thank you Matthew for the great review! Welcome to St. Petersburg! Whenever friends or family are in town please send them our way! Also, pop in some time and say Hi, I love meeting our guests! I will be sure to share this review with our staff. Thanks again.

- Jeremy Robinson
New York
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Hotel is clean, but in my room I find bugs in bathroom and bathroom is liking, Breakfast is absolutely terrible, nothing is unavailable or just ended. When I ask to ex-stand to check out time(they extend till 12.00 I ask till 2.00 P.M), hotel was empty and reason because cleaning personal want to clean room before 1.00 P.M.Location is very far from downtown, almost in prom zone, this 2.5 stat hotel, and price little high for this property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I saw your stay was during the Fourth of July Holiday where we were actually sold out Also, Check Out time is at 11AM so I am glad they did extend your check out time as a courtesy and I hope in that additional time you were able to enjoy your in room 42" Flat Screen TV! Either way, thank you for your visit to our hotel and for your comments.
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Comfort Inn and Suites on a recent trip to Saint Petersburg. We were completely satisfied with our stay. The interior was clean and modern, and the rooms were both comfortable and nicely decorated. The staff was friendly, and cheerful. Glen (the desk clerk) was very helpful, and went above and beyond to ensure our stay was enjoyable.

We will definitely be back!

Key Largo Visitor

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Gail P
comfortinn947, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Northeast - Gateway, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Comfort Inn & Suites St. Petersburg. We are most pleased that you were so satisfied with your stay here. Glenn certainly does exemplify the standards of customer service that we strive to offer, and I will pass along your compliments to him as well as the rest of the staff. We hope to see you next time you are in St. Petersburg. Sincerely, General Manager