“Love thy Beach”
Review of St. Pete Beach

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
OHIO
4 helpful votes
“Love thy Beach”
Reviewed June 22, 2009

St Pete Beach Florida! Absolutely Awesome! Every day was a great day except for the last day, It rained but that's okay. It was still hot. My daughter and I went to catch up on her being gone with the Marines. We enjoyed the beach so much. I can't stop thinking of it. Loved the water, the white sands, the Pelicans were fabulous! I thought it was just perfect for both of us. Daily and nightly walks, Night time breeeze and the ocean sounds are just out of this world. I want to move there and we saw dolphins! And site seeing on the rocks was fun too. I would live there if I could. In a heart beat. Some day. We saw a wedding on the beach which was so romantic and lot's of birds. It was a great time and we both loved it and want to go back so bad.

Orlando
2 helpful votes
“Egmont Key Snorkel Trip with Big Action Charters Madeira Beach”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We took a trip with bigactioncharters.com to Egmont Key for a shelling and sight seeing trip. We had no idea the snorkeling would be so great at the under water ruins of the old forts. The boat and crew were great. The price was even better for 50 .00 an hour to cover all 6 of us. We are already planning our next trip this summer with Capt Pat at Big Action Charters.

2 Thank Garylovesbeaches
dayton, oh
“Not the best time in Winter”
Reviewed January 25, 2008

My fiance and I wanted to get away from cold Ohio. We chose St. Pete Beach because we had free plane tickets, wanted to go to Florida, and where limited as to where our plane could fly to. The weather was not all that great, the nicest day was when we left. We stayed at the Sirata beach resort which was a really nice place (book online to get the best deal). I'm sure it would have been an awesome trip had we been able to swim or walk on the beach for longer than 2 minutes without freezing our butts off. Overall, we got kind of bored in the area. We rode the trolley a couple of days, went up to John's pass, went and saw some dolphins, and basically rode around the area, almost got in a wreck while on the trolley. Good times.

There weren't too many great places to eat. The dining was ok, I love seafood, but nothing really wowed me. I don't think we'll be visiting the area again. Just wasn't a whole lot to do if you can't swim or spend time on the beach.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Sunset at St. Pete Beach”
Reviewed January 22, 2006

A bit windy on this day but still an enjoyable sunset!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Des Plaines, Illinois
32 helpful votes
“What to do”
Reviewed April 2, 2005

Our family of 4 (2 adults, a teen and a tween) just returned from St. Pete Beach. Before we left I read a lot of reviews and I thought I might add my 2 cents worth. I'll start with restaurants. Based on the reviews I read, we went to the Starlite Diner for breakfast a couple of times. Although the food was good, (my daughter loved the Strawberry Twist waffles), the service was very inconsistent and extremely slow. Plan on spending at least an hour (if they're not busy) for breakfast. The servers are surly, if not quite rude. I don't think I saw a smile the entire time. They seemed to have perfected the art of ignoring their patrons. Their entire clientele seems to be tourists and they make it quite obvious they don't care about repeat business. I would avoid this place unless you have lots of time to kill.
Another disappointment was Gigi's Italian Restaurant. Based on the reviews, I was looking for a great Italian meal. What a letdown. Absolutely mediocre food. Even the bread was boring. I live in the Chicago area and I can go 10 minutes in any direction and find better Italian food. This place makes Olive Garden look like a 5 star restaurant. It's very deceiving because there's always people waiting outside for a table but I think that's because it's very small inside and once again, they rely on the one time tourist. On the bright side, we found what I think is a hidden gem. It's called Skidders (about 5900 Gulf Blvd.), about a mile north of Gigi's. They're open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The service is fast and friendly and the food is delicious. They also have an outside eating area. It's family owned and they've been there 17 years. My only regret is we didn't find this place until our next to last day there.
As for things to do, make sure you go to Fort DeSoto State Park. Wide, empty beaches with great shelling. It reminds me a lot of the Outer Banks in North Carolina. There are picnic areas, campsites and bicycle and tandem rentals available. There's also a gift shop.
We also went to John's Pass, which seemed to me to be nothing more than a marina shopping mall. Bring lots of quarters to feed the parking meters (25 cents for 15 minutes). We drove thru, turned around and left.
In downtown St. Petersburg we went to The Pier. Again, a lot of gift shops and restaurants. If you like fishing, you can rent a pole for the day for $10. Our highlight there was a Segway tour from Whimsical Wheels. For $50. per person we got to ride our own Segways for a 2 hour guided tour of the St. Petersburg waterfront and parks. They only have 2 tours a day (9AM and 2PM) and you have to make your reservations in advance. It was a lot of fun and our guide, Bill, filled us in on a lot of St. Pete's history.
I highly recommend this tour. They also rent 4 and 6 passenger surrey bikes.
My son and I also rented Waverunners from Tierra Verde Boat Rentals
(------------). For $60, we had an hour to cruise the Intercoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico. My 15 year old son hasn't stopped talking about it yet.
We also drove down to Pass-a-Grille which looks much like it did 50 years ago. There is fishing, boat charters and restaurants. Very laid back.
If nothing else, we could have enjoyed ourselves just walking the miles of beach, swimming in the warm Gulf waters, and just lying in the sun.
I would be remiss if I did not mention the brutal, crowded, stressful 1,200 mile drive from my home in the Chicago area. PLEASE, keep to the right if you're not passing!!!!

4 Thank nitzie

Been to St. Pete Beach? Share your experiences!