“Another Great Stay”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Tampa
“Another Great Stay”
Reviewed January 21, 2011

This was our third visit/stay and was even better than before. Great food, great beach, super friendly staff, and excellent roomt

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,417)
West Midlands
Reviewed January 21, 2011

We stayed at the Island Grand resort at the start of January. I was attending a conference there but had some leisure time there too. The hotel has everything you could need for a short, relaxing stay, a good range of places to eat, coffee bar, pools, beach, hotel transport so you can explore the area etc etc. With no exception every member of staff we came into contact with during our week stay was very friendly and really helpful and that really made our stay enjoyable.
Our room was one that had been redecorated in the Jacoranda building with a tropical view and it was very clean and spacious.
Overall I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a laid back, relaxing break and a bit of winter sun!

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My husband and I traveled here for a weekend getaway and had a nice time at this resort. It was busy with lots of families and Christmas work parties when we stayed there - and NO parking! - but overall, a nice place. Our room was terrible.. on the corner, with two sides of the walls open (on a corner), so lets just say the 12am crowd was LOUD.. They did have a cute hammock on the beach that was fun, but overall the resort is definitely a four star property/quality. If your going with your spouse, I'd stay at the Don Cesar, not this hotel. OR Grand Hyatt in Tampa as its much nicer! (And where we should've gone like we did the last 3 years!)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I have stayed at the TradeWinds Island Grande twice now, both to attend a conference. This past visit, I brought my husband along.

This is a beautiful resort - I strongly suggest a gulf-view, balcony room. The view was gorgeous. Steps away to the beach. The hotel and grounds are spotless.

I ate the best Italian food I've had in YEARS at the lobby restaurant - Palm Court. There are plenty of options to eat at the resort - we never left the resort during the 5 days, and didn't get bored with the food.

On both stays, the service was impressive. Servers, bartenders, hospitality services, etc were friendly and helpful. You absolutely must check out Karaoke Night with Kevin and Frank.

We are going again next year!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
winnipeg
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Overall, I was happy with our experience at the Island Grand. Our room was bigger than I thought, the kitchenette/sitting area came in handy when travelling with our one year old. Housekeeping kept it very clean. There were two t.v's, one in the bedroom and one in the sitting room; the one in the sitting room's volume was broken and sounded fuzzy (a minor detail but it really bugged my partner). The staff overall was very friendly and helpful. The location was central, convenient for doing excursions to other places. The resort was pretty quiet, except for a convention, and it felt like we had the place to ourselves which was nice and relaxing. I really liked the pair of swans swimming in the canal, and paddleboating was fun!
We're used to taking transit at home, we took the trolley to Pass-a-Grille one day, and walked up and down Gulf Boulevard and ate at restaurants. We rented a car for one day and went to Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa which was awesome. We also took a taxi to Tyrone Mall to do some shopping.
The weather was a little chilly, definitely not lay on the beach weather, but I was expecting that from forecasts and other reviews. We were still happy because it's -35 C where we live!
The only negative we found was the $25 resort fee and little charges; I was expecting this fee from reading reviews so it was no surprise, but when I examined on their brochure what this included, I really think that most of the services should be included in a standard hotel stay. No one likes the feeling of charges when you leave a hotel so they should just include it in the price. I would recommend checking your charges the day before you leave (as when you're checking out you won't have time to haggle over charges). I did this and found they double charged me by accident and took a while to sort it out.
I would still recommend this hotel for people with young children or pets for that matter; very family friendly, and lots to do in and around the resort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed January 10, 2011

First, the positives. Most of the staff are friendly and accommodating. The public areas are very attractive and well-maintained. The rooms have attractive decor. The hotel is very environmentally friendly (FL Green Lodging Certified). The beach is really nice. Not as nice: most guests pay a significant resort fee. Although not unique by any means to the TradeWInds, it is still an annoyance to have this charged separately from the rate. The quality of the rooms is variable. I've had wonderful rooms and I've had ones that were just ordinary. (And at their adjacent Sandpiper, I once had a truly awful room, with no response to my complaint). This stay was in the Breckinridge Building, which is pretty good, but showing its age. The bed was sagging, the door showed light from the hallway on three sides, the bathroom door had some damage, and the shower control was a little grungy. In fairness, it appeared that rooms here were being remodeled; I could see mattresses propped up against the windows in some rooms, suggesting they were being replaced. All in all, I do recommend this hotel, and think that with a little more effort, it could be outstanding.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Comfortable hotel, but looking in need of some TLC in places. Some old fashioned fittings, e.g. TV, windows, taps, shower etc - below par for the US compared with the major chains. But nice welcoming decor, very friendly and accommodating (and numerous) staff, and all round a great relaxed feel, no airs and graces. Shame about overpriced eating and drinking options on site, with so much choice outside the hotel. Evening entertainment options were not very family oriented, though there were kid friendly activities during the day (at extra cost). Easy access to St Pete, gulf coast towns and Tampa Bay area for excursions. Clearwater Marine Aquarium worth a visit, give St Pete Pier a miss (but visit the area for shopping/eating), try Johns Pass in nearby Madeira Beach for touristy but nice waterside eating.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
#14 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Beach House Suites by The Don CeSar

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!