“Needs updating”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
South Florida
“Needs updating”
Reviewed July 12, 2007

The Tradewinds is a pretty good older hotel on a beautiful beach but there are some issues as follows:
They host very large meetings that sometimes swamp the available facilities.
They have access challenges galore for physically disabled guests including very minimal handicapped access and parking.

On the plus side, they have extremely helpful and friendly staff members- I did not encounter a single unhappy worker so they are doing something right with their people. This aspect really helps to make up for the items listed above.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SFfromNF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,428)
florida
Reviewed July 5, 2007

Our recent stay at the Tradewinds Island Grand did not live up to our expectations for the 4th of July holiday. We stayed in one of the two bedroom suites at the rate of $400 per night - not worth it! I was told the room had a full kitchen which was not the case. The stove top had only two burners and no oven. The refrigerator took 12+ hours to cool (wait before you stock up on groceries)! The table was well worn with only 3 chairs (one looked as if it had been broken and reconstructed poorly). All the furniture in the too small living area was in need of replacement. Our room had a balcony which was too narrow to sit on and turn the pages of the newspaper! The bathrooms had broken faucets and the shower heads were clogged. Family members staying in another building had roaches visiting their room in the middle of the night. When they told the front desk the following day the clerk quipped that "they would not be charged a pet fee" - very funny! Upon check out we were told a cart had to be brought up by an attendant - what I wasn't told was that it would take 45 mins. and my request for 2 carts would be ignored. The 2nd cart would take another 20 mins.

All of these issues (except the roaches) could be overlooked in a hotel charging a fraction of what we paid. But, for a place that is labled "Island Grand Resort" with a grand price tag attached - just not acceptable! Look elsewhere - the beaches are lined with hotels that would love your business.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank tleinbach
Southwest Missouri
Reviewed July 5, 2007

Some of the best service I've ever had at a resort! The accommodations were very nice and the amenities were great.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank worldtraveler045
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 4, 2007

We stayed at the Island Grand for four nights for a wedding in late April. We have two young children and the resort was perfect for them. Plenty of fun to be had in the pool, paddleboats, waterslide and on the beach. There were a couple of different restaurants in the hotel, which gave a range of choices. There was also a deli where we were able to get bagels in the AM, and sandwiches for lunch to eat by the pool. The resort is huge, and there are several different buildings housing rooms. The building on the side closest to the lobby looks to be the newest. I did see a 2 bedroom suite in that building and it was decent, though nothing special. We had a room (which they called a "suite") right off the family pool area. The room was quite small, and would barely qualify as a suite other than the fact that the living area was separated from the bedroom by the bathroom/short hallway. It was TINY. Furniture was a little raggedy and the room was very dark. The toilet went on the fritz several times and two of the lamps in the room were broken. The bedroom had a tiny window and felt more like a cell than a hotel room. On the other hand it was very convenient location-wise with kids, and it was actually not as loud as I thought it would be. I would say the hotel staff is accomodating, though no one really goes out of their way (except for Paddleboat Joe, who was great!). Even though we were there for my brother's wedding and had 125 guests staying at the resort, we definitely felt like just any other guest -- they don't really have the same knack for making people feel special as serious four and five star hotels do. As far as weddings go, they did a great job with that and the food was excellent. I would say that there were four weddings on the Saturday we were there and the staff seemed to go out of there way to make sure brides didn't cross eachother's paths. The place is definitely a real wedding factory, but that's OK, and probably the case at most resorts down there. So, overall, the resort is nice, reasonably clean, and a fine place to stay. Would I go back? Probably not, as there are nicer places, but as I said it was fine for what it was.

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — Tiny, dark room. Generally rough around the edges.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Netsirc
Vancouver
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Charming, Friendly, Efficient: A Fine Hotel

I have been coming to the Trade Winds Island Grande twice a year for the past nine years (as a workshop leader for the Florida League of I.B. Scools) - nine days in June, five days in December. This hotel has always offered a superb experience for the conferences and a delightful atmosphere for relaxation. The hotel is comfortable and attractive; the amenities very good and what location could possibly be better than a sandy beach on the Gulf Coast. Outstanding though is the service and the friendliness of the staff. Everyone is friendly and it is very pleasant to be welcomed and recognized by staff. Margarita is a national treasure and has trained her staff to be both efficient and courteous. She, of course, is a superb role mode. I give workshops all over North America and stay in many glitzier and more expensive hotels. None can match the Trade Winds. Again, thank you for making my stay so pleasant. I look forward to retrning in December.

Pat McIntosh

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank patmac1
work
Reviewed July 1, 2007

My husband and I plus our two kids (ages 10 & 6) stayed at the Tradewinds Island Grand from June 17-22 and had a wonderful time. The place is so well kept and clean, we were really impressed. The staff go out of their way to make you happy, and the food is delicious. Yes, the food is a little pricey, but to me it was worth it, plus their are many other options outside the resort. Crabby Bills is nearby along with a supermarket, package store, etc.. We requested the gulf view and that's what we got. We were on the 5th floor in the Jacoranda building, wouldve liked a real balcony as opposed to the french balcony, but we did not complain, the view is breathtaking. It is definatly a hot time of year in Fl and being from Massachusetts, it was really hot, but bearable. The airconditioner was a relief. We spent one full day at Bush Gardens and I highly reccommend it to everyone, we had so much fun there!!!
I really can't say enough good things about the Tradewinds Island Grand, we will definatly go back.
One thing I should mention, when originally booking a vacation, I was looking at the Atlantis in the Bahamas, had it all priced out, etc. Then I found out about passports being need for our children, and we'd had to pay extra to have them expedited in order to get them on time. Our travel agent reccommend this place, and for nearly half the price plus 2 extra days, we decided
to book it, and we are so happy we did! Don't hesitate, go and enjoy!!!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank aprilwork
wakeman,ohio
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Stayed at the Tradewinds with my husband from June 16-22. Read reviews carefully before we came. Check in: very easy. Got in our room early. I upgraded to a gulf-front parlor over phone before we arrived. Kathy told me a balcony room would be $20 more a night. At check-in Neil told me it would be $33 more a night. I didn't argue since I decided we didn't need it because AAA & Continental hadn't told us resort fee wasn't included in our price. Room: a little smaller than expected especially bathroom!! Shower had a light which is rare. Had problem twice with room not cleaned by 4:00 p.m. Front desk refused to help. Otherwise, room cleaned early & well. Food: did not spend any $ on food or drink there. Went to Publix for drinks & snacks & brought soft-sided cooler to take to pool. Beverly's for breakfast every day. Can't say enough about that. Average $10 for both of us. Early-bird at Snappers & Gigi's great value & excellent food. Rest. prices very high & we didn't need big meals or leftovers we wouln't eat. St. Pete was easy to get around. Enjoyed Dolphin Racer & sunset sail at Dolphin Landing with Richard. In all, a good experience. We usually do Bahamas or Mexico, but waited too late to renew passports. Beach was more shelly(water shoes needed) & water not as clear but we enjoyed it. Many kids but we were not bothered. Don't know if we'll return, but I would recommend it as a nice vacation if you like the beach & want to relax

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small pools, lack of good food on-site
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Sirata Beach Resort
#13 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!