“Tales Of The Tradewinds”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
pa
“Tales Of The Tradewinds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2006

great place to relax. people are friendly. if you like the beach,you wiil love the tradewinds. go for a long weekend, and you will wish you had stayed for a week.
great hotel!!
regards
harry checchio

• Liked — beach and pool
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank matcoharry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,363)
Lancashire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Tradewinds Grand Resort for a week in October. The hotel is very nice and clean. We booked a one bedroom gulf view room which was very large, and had a beautiful view.

They are the only nice things I can say about this hotel , we arrived on a Thursday the hotel was busy but not so that you could not get to the pool, but that soon changed.

Over a weekend we witnessed 7 weddings and two conferences, now I love a nice wedding as much as the next person but 7 in two days is a bit much. Large areas of the hotel were closed off to accommodate the functions . Every corner you turned a wedding party were eating or dancing and by Sunday you couldn’t even get by the pools which were very very small.

My husband assured me that this was just weekend traffic and by Monday it would be quieter, and by Monday evening it was. The only downside was the one bit of entertainment that was under $20 which my son enjoyed was the pool table outside b-r cudas bar but by Monday night this had been removed for some reason?

We were then informed that one of the restaurants would be closed for breakfast the next day as they had a conference starting. On Tuesday morning I arrived in reception and found 300 men in suits stood around discussing pensions and half of the hotel was closed off, this is not want you want when you have travelled 4000 plus miles, I got straight on to my travel agents who arranged for us to move hotels within an hour.

This hotel is also very expensive and the staff are not the most helpful you would wish to meet, they conveniently forgot to issue us with our discount voucher, also did not inform us you can save money by purchasing refill mugs, maybe they have sales target to meet..

• Liked — good size room
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — take lots of money and a wedding dress
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank jo8_uk
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2006

My husand and I got married on at the TradeWinds on their absolutely beautiful beach!! The reception was held in one of the ballrooms. Everything was so absolutely perfect! The food and service were so wonderful that I would highly recommend (and did) to anyone who wants to get married at a resort! I actually got to enjoy my wedding.

The rooms were so absolutely beautiful. We had a view of the gulf and the sunsets couldn't be more beautiful. It was so hard to leave there to come back to reality. We plan to spend at least a weekend a year there.

We ate at the Palm Court restaurant on our wedding night and the atmosphere was just fabulous and the food was scrumptous!

The service from checkin to checkout and everything in between made us feel like royalty!!!

• Liked — The service was impecible
  • Disliked — had to leave
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FloridaBride
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2006

Ignore any really negative comments you read about the Tradewinds Island Grand, I think the people who write them are being too picky. The hotel in a whole is absolutely superb. With hundreds of rooms your bound to get maybe 1 or 2 not 100% at any one time, but I'll bet there close to it. My family and I visited in July at the height of the season when it was very busy and I have to say that not only were all the staff fantastic, from the concierge and reception to housekeeping. In fact everyone we spoke to was more than happy to help. The hotel itself was fantastic. We upgraded to a gulf view room and the view was amazing. The room itself was pretty basic but had everything we needed including a small kitchen with a toaster and microwave. The digital safe took a couple of mins to figure out though! If you decide to go to st. pete beach you need to take a walk along the beach at sunset. One word, Amazing! As the sun sets, if you look out onto the gulf watch for the dolphins. What an experience. Also, if you like to watch dolphins take a trip on the Dolphin Screamer. A huge speedboat that speeds across the gulf and dolphins swim and dive in it's wake trying to keep up. Go to St petes and go to Tradewinds Island Grand and you'll have a brilliant time. My 7 year old daughter is still talking about it and that was after 2 weeks in Orlando!!

Stayed October 2006
4 Thank gazbjo
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2006

Just returned home after spending time in Orlando and four nights at the Tradewinds. I booked this hotel way back in January basing my choice on the good reviews on Tripadvisor. Since then I had regularly checked the reviews and on several occasions was slightly perturbed to find some not very good reports and seriously considered cancelling. I am glad I did not! On arrival we upgraded to a gulf view room and the view was beautiful. Lovely white beaches - on one occasion we sat on our balcony and watched a couple getting married on the beach. We did not bother with the resort fee (currently $25 per day) as we did not feel we would make use of all the amenities. There is a childrens club and our two were booked into the Spongebob Squarepants evening. I dropped them off at the activities centre at 6pm and picked them up at 9pm. We took this opportunity to go for a meal at Silas Dents Steakhouse just across the road. The grounds of the hotel are well manicured and we had a go on the paddleboats (it kills the knees - you have been warned). Also liked using the hammocks which were near the beach. For you non-drivers there is a Suncoast Trolley with stops just outside the hotel that go from Pass a Grille all the way up to Clearwater Beach. It costs $1.50 per trip or $3.50 for a Go card that lasts all day. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance and a Publix supermarket with plenty of choice for breakfast/lunch items. All in all a lovely hotel, great location and I would recommend this place to anyone. Take no notice of the bad reviews.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Tips/Secrets — None
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank scenic2
Clermont, Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

We love this resort, this was our second year to book this resort.
There are so many activities for the children even in the off season of September. Any requests I had of the housekeeping staff was responded to immediately.
The restaurants on the property are excellent and for variety there are numerous other restaurants in walking distance.
We hope to return in the future!

• Liked — beach access and beautiful sunsets
  • Disliked — still dealing with the end of Red Tide
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank clermont03
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2006

I believe as a Concierge for over 12 years, I tend to notice a little more about Hotels and Resorts than the regular Guest. My experience at the Tradewinds Resort in St. Pete Beach was nothing short of exceptional. The Doorman, Front Desk Agent and Bellman each welcomed me with a genuine (not fake) smile. They never just went through the "motions" of their duties, they cared about what they were doing.
Although my room did not have a view of the Beach (which was just steps away) it was beautifully appointed, clean and neat. The property's landscaping was very well tended as well as the common areas. Even though there is plenty to do and activity is everywhere, there are still plenty of areas to just sit or layout and relax.
The restaurants and there are several were very good offering all sorts of selections and reasonably priced.
I look forward to my next visit which will be for a longer stay.

• Liked — Clean and neatly appointed rooms with the beach just steps away.
  • Disliked — That my stay was to short.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't hesitate in asking the Staff for advice...they are exceptionally helpful and care that you have a good time.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#22 of 95 in Clearwater
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!