“More than an Excellent Property”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Florida
“More than an Excellent Property”
Reviewed December 17, 2009

My wife and I have been to the Tradewinds at least 4 to 6 times, everytime it gets better. The entire staff at the Tradewinds we came in contact with was courteous and very accomodating to our needs. When we checked in we had a bell boy who remembered on during our entire stay. Last year we went to buffett and the waitress we had was not the greatest. We told this to one of the waiters at the Flying Firsh (Bill) and he made sure we had an excellent waitress this year. Because of last years problem One of the Dining Room Managers gave us a glass of wine on the house. This hotel is great not only for families but for married couples and singles as well.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,428)
Florida
Reviewed December 17, 2009

I went to a conference and had a wonderful experience. The staff was able to put on a great "show" for 700 hundred people with wonderful breakfasts and lunches.
The room was very clean with a great view of the beach in the back and a "Swan Lake" in the front. I was able to watch the Gators vs. Alabama game from a cozy grill with great, huge, Piña Colada. The only bad thing was the Gators' score,

wWll definitley recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit St. Pete.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed December 17, 2009

I booked on Priceline for a decent rate, but was disappointed with the quality of the supposedly 4-star resort and with the ridiculously high $25 a day resort fee (which you're stuck with as an additional charge if you book on Priceline). We enjoyed our stay, but were surprised and disappointed since we were expecting a 4-star resort. This should not be considered a 4-star resort. The public spaces, gardens and pool areas were nice, but the rooms were 3-star level at best. The bedding, linens, soaps and decor were not nice and the facilities seem old and out of style. The public spaces in our building were outdated and had sponge paint (not 4-star quality). I don't think a 4-star resort should have a Pizza Hut Express 20 yards from your room either. For comparison, we booked a 4-start night on Priceline on the same trip and got the Tampa Intercontinental -- a much nicer hotel that legitimately deserves a 4-star rating.

The Tradewinds complex (this is a large place with lots of rooms) is on a nice wide stretch of beach and has loungers on the beach and at the pool (I guess that's where my $25 a day went). The pools and gardens are nice and I had a good but overpriced fish sandwich and $3 bottle of water from one of the bars. Our room had a nice view of the ocean and a patio (ground level), which we enjoyed. There are family activities here if that's what you're looking for, but we were not. The pool was warm and enjoyable and the fitness center was perfectly fine.

The Tradewinds requires a $25 resort fee on top of the room rate, which was too high given the facilities and activities available. I'd consider staying again, but just realize the rooms and public spaces are not what I would consider to be 4 stars.

York, PA
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Just got back from a stay in St Pete Beach at the Tradewinds. I got a 3 night stay off priceline as a blind buy for this hotel. For the super low price I paid I was very pleased with this hotel, but I wouldn't have paid the published rate for it. It's listed as a 4 star and I think it's more in line with a 3 star, but that's just my opinion. The location on the beach is great. The service both at check in and check out were very nice, all the staff was happy and helpful. Our room wasn't wonderful, but it was OK. I couldn't get past the god awful color scheme of the place, it was bright and yellow, and blue and orange... My only true complaint was the shower. Very low pressure and you could feel the old tub under a new insert they put in when renovating it was squishy. Also the shower head was very low on the wall, I'm 5'7" and it was right at my head. I noticed they had signs about being a green resort, so I'm going to assume the water pressure was their way of limiting water use, and I get that, but when I have to spend twice the amount of time in the shower to get the shampoo out of my hair, it's not really conserving anything. Our room had a table with 4 chairs, a mini fridge, micro wave, plates, utensils and a wet bar which was a very nice surprise. The property it's self is very nice, it was clean with many bars, pools and restaurants. The food we had was OK, nothing wonderful, but it was good. They have a load of kids activities, big blow up slide, trampoline, a club area for them, Saturday night they showed a Christmas movie out by one of the pools which I thought was a very nice touch, not sure it that was a weekly occurrence or a special holiday treat. They do charge a 25$ a day resort fee per room, however that covered the WiFi in our room and around the resort, parking, and the cabanas by the beach, I had no issue with that since I've stayed in many hotels where I've had to pay 10$ - 15$ a day for each of those things. The Tradewinds only had one sit down restaurant that served food early, they had a breakfast buffet set up but I was just looking for two eggs, bagel and coffee so we opted to go off site for breakfast. There is a shopping plaza with some shops and a few restaurants across the street, we went to a nice place called Skidders.

Atlanta
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Paid $55 on priceline. They added fees to pay for their parking lot paving, $28, place was empty and still gave worst rooms. Give to a charity of your choice, boycott greedy persons.

Tampa
Reviewed December 13, 2009

Had a super stay after Thanskgiving. Property is impressive, beach is great, restaurants provided excellent service. Resort staff concerned, informative and professional all the way. Only down side was the weather, cold, and probably the only element that Tradewinds could not control. (Only criticism - teach beachside bartenders how to make a Pina Colada ! ) We will be back for sure.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Vermont
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We've been to Florida before but not to St. Pete Beach. We read reviews on the Tradewinds, both good and bad, but found the Island Grand to accommodate our needs nicely. With five heated pools, paddleboats, a gift shop (with typically overpriced trinkets) and a handful of on-site restaurants, the resort made it easy for us to relax and our kids to have a great time. The beach is wide and beautiful. There is a giant waterslide on the beach which looked like fun but there's a charge to use it, per slide, which is ridiculous. The resort does offer beach toys for kids though as well as nice Cabanas at no cost. We just wanted a quick get-away so we went for the lowest cost room; it faced the parking lot and was fine although a bit tight for a family of four. At the risk of sounding cheap, we were disappointed that there was no continental breakfast or at the very least complimentary coffee; this seems to be standard at most hotels. It poured rain one day and the concierge wasn't very helpful; gave us a list of things to do that included getting our photos developed at a local pharmacy but didn't even include the resort's own kid's club. Overall though the resort was very clean and well maintained and allowed us to relax which is just what we needed. The only major downside to us was the surrounding area did not seem safe, especially at night, as we waited for the local trolley. Supermarket and convenience stores are not really within walking distance either. If you want to go to stores or attractions, it's a drive.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Sirata Beach Resort
#13 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!