“Had a great time”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
“Had a great time”
Reviewed July 26, 2005

This is my third time staying at the TradeWinds Resort. I was participating in a conference at the resort, so I wasn't on your typical vacation. However, we did find time in the afternoon to enjoy the property. The pools were pretty crowded, but there was red tide at the beach and it smelled terrible and I completely understood why everyone chose the pools, so that didn't really upset me like some of the other reviewers. I was always able to find an empty chair at the pool. I stayed in a one bedroom suite that had a kitchenette, so I did a lot of meals myself to save money. When we did eat out, we chose the Flying Bridge Restaurant. The food was good and reasonably priced, although the service seemed slow sometimes. The past times I've stayed, I've had a suite facing the gulf, and this year I had a suite facing the garden/parking lot. The room was considerable smaller that the gulf view suites, but was still adequate for several people. The staff were all helpful and friendly. The property is beautiful and they have increased the number of onsite activities for children and families to participate in since my first stay. I loved it here and am planning a non-work stay soon.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
Reviewed July 26, 2005

Everything was great, We are staying longer next year July 1st to July 8th
see you all next year.

scott holden

Stayed July 2005
Ireland
Reviewed July 21, 2005

Just returned from a weeks stay in St Petersburg. Had done alot of research into the best hotel in St Petes and had come up with Trade Winds
Grand Isle. When we arrived we thought the foyer looked impressive enough and we checked in and were assigned our room. On our way up to the room I thought the corridors and carpets were dirty. My impression was certainly changing as we made our way to our room. The room I had booked was a two bed suite at USD255 per night. The room we were given was tiny was like a box room with two beds and there was a musty smell.
We complained to the management and they said that we could pay and extra USD80 per night for an upgrade. We agreed to pay the extra and were moved across to the other side of the hotel. The room was much nicer with two seperate bedrooms and a lounge but with a price tag of USD335 per night I though we were being ripped off.
We then went down to the pool area which was dirty and not maintained, there where cigarette butts and dirty cups around.
We then decided that we would check out and find something better.
My overall impression is the hotel has huge potential but it is dirty, run down and in need of much maintance.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank FloridaTraveller
Reviewed July 19, 2005

If you liek loud, packed holiday camps, then this is the place for you. We like quality hotels and thats what we paid for, we just dint get it here. we are not snobs but when you pay for quality you expect it. We arrived, parked your own car if you can find a space, order ocean front room, get a garden view and no help to change it, oh and by the way the rooms were dark, dingey, cloaks that dont work, cupboards that dont shut but it did seem cleanish. Loud music from mid afternoon till very late from the poolside, two cramped pools, no spare sunbeds, untidy, worn & dirty grounds. Order room service, it turns up incorrect oh and cold. You have to leave your trays outside and phone someone to collect them otherwise the seagulls have a fund day. I phoned, they didnt collect and at 6am I was awoken but the birds having their breakfast which just adds to the stains on the carpets on the walkways. Get up, order your starbucks coffee and wait 15 minutes why the very unamused lady makes you a coffee oh and the go to the shops to have to buy your breakfast. Lastly check out 7 days early as your so discussed and the receptionist says hope you enjoyed the stay, obviously she cant work out that staying only one night instead of 7 equates to issues! Pls, save you money, ignore the above average reviews and find something better.

• Stayed April 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 18, 2005

After 2 weeks in Orlando i was more than ready for a beach break. I found the Tradewinds to be clean,friendly and of a high standard.The position was excellent and the Silas Resturant across the road for anyone who wanted good food off the premises.

The only problems i had were:
2nd night found large bugs in room. I reported it to front desk that were intially less than helpful, however this changed when maintenance came up and said "Christ they're big!"

Within mins another room was found and we were moved. Despite having these bugs in room we never saw another one anywhere in the complex.

Another slight niggle was one or two of the staff in the resturants/bars were pretty useless and unhelpful, last but not least, we had free Cocktail vouchers from Virgin but when i tried to use them i was told they were only valid for beer, single house spirits or wine......

The pools were on the small side but be fair, who wants a pool when you have the |Gulf 50 yds away?

We are going back as soon as we can and i'm fussy so you can tell we enjoyed our stay.

palm city,fl
Reviewed July 17, 2005

Just returned from a weeks stay at Island Grand and had to warn people. First, let me pretext this with,we are not snooty or super picky people and were not looking for a palace. The island Grand is not a shabby resort, just a poorly run hotel with very greedy owners. The room we booked(a 1 bedroom suite)was very small(I'm talking barely walking room to get around the beds) and badly overpriced at $170.00 during the week and $255.00 on fri. and sat., but the real problem is the overcrowding. It seems that the resort is working hard to draw in the convention/reunion/wedding groups during the slower summer months,this in itself is not a problem until you get 5 or 6 weddings, 2 class reunions and a corperate function or two all at the same time. The pools were filled past capacity(the pools are very small to start with), you could not get near the outside bar most of the time and the resort blocked off large "chunks" of the common areas surroundig the pools and courtyard for these private events. On the day we checked in, half the lobby was blocked off for a wedding, and on our final evening,all parking lots were filled to overflowing so we were told to just leave our car parked in front of the resort(along with approx. 15 others) and the vallet would park it later as people left and spaces became available. It seems like the resort management needs to decide if they want to be a convention center or a resort, because it does not work the way it is.I have one last warning to prospective guests, be wary of the resorts gift/merchandise certificates sold on the internet. We found upon checkout that they are only good for the cost of the room,this means you can't use them for things such as taxes or any food/beverage charged back to your room.Again,we are not the type of people to complain about much, but as I told the manager there,We Will NEVER be back to this resort again. I do have to say however, the beach was beautiful and for the most part the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank flAe
ohio
Reviewed July 17, 2005

We just returned from seven nights at the Tradewinds Grand. We had a large family group - three generations - and each of us had a great time. We had one-bedroom units with kitchenettes facing the Gulf and thought these were good accommodations for families.

The pools were full but worked well for cooling off and socializing. The adult pool was a refuge for sure, but the other pools were fun and the baby pool was good for our youngest family member. We had no trouble finding chairs at the pools (not always "first row" but there were always chairs) or cabanas at the beach.

Food is reasonably priced if you choose to eat on-site. You can also keep food in the frig in the room which is handy for growing kids.

I thought the staff was exceptionally efficient and kind. Everyone was friendly and our needs were attended to quickly. Housekeeping visited each morning and asked if we were ready for service. If we preferred, they'd return in the afternoon instead.

The grounds were beautiful and the activities for children were great. There were opportunities for the kids to meet others at a teen dance and a "dive-in movie", as well as crafts and contests.

Each year our family vacations together - Disney, national parks, beach, etc. The kids say this one was the most fun ever. And the adults had a good time, too. I had some concerns about the Tradewinds due to reviews I read here, but happily we had an awesome vacation there.

Stayed July 2005
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#25 of 98 in Clearwater
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!