“Relaxing Getaway with the Kids”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Relaxing Getaway with the Kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2005

I just spent a enjoyable, relaxing 5 days at the Tradewind Grand Resort. I have to say I was pretty anxious prior to arriving based on scathing reviews I'd read on tridpadvisor, after I'd booked the vacation, especially regarding cleanliness and size of the rooms. However, I have to report that I was pleasantly suprised to find a very clean tropical view room in the Jacaranda Building with a balcony that also had views of the beach. I have to admit the room was on the small side, but confortable enough and like I said very clean. Also, the microwave, half fridge and toaster are an added bonus for late night and early morning snacks. The supermarket Publix is right up the street if you want to fill the fridge. All of the staff are very friendly and helpful. The surroundings, including the canal around the resort with the swans, ducks and beautiful fish is very serene. The Flying Bridge Restaurant which is adjacent the the pools and very close the beach is in perfect location for hungry kids who've spent most of the morning playing at the beach and pool has great frozen drinks and lunch selections that are affordable. The food comes out quick, hot and tasty. There are other restaurants on site including Pizza Hut and an ice cream station. Overall, I'd have to say I had wonderful time at the Tradewind Grand resort and would come again.

• Stayed January 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,364)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2004

Conference facility was under renovations, but very accomodating under the circumstances of the season Florida had experienced. Resort setting was great for family attending. Accomodations, leisure activities, beach, pools, landscaping, paddle boats, on site restaurants including Pizza Hut for the kids or a fast meal all combined for an excellant experience. Recommend to one and all.

Norfolk, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2004

I was sent to the Tradewinds on business, and I absolutely loved it. The accommodations were great, the food was fantastic, and the people were friendly. I would recommend the resort to anyone!

1 Thank WDWfan13
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2004

Need a quiet get away? Tired of the endless work week at home and/or at work? After too many long hours of getting up and going to work and worrying about paying the bills and "getting ahead," I decided to take my family for a little "quality time" to the beach. So close in distance, yet so far from relevance, I decided to think out of my normal "box" and take advantage of the beautiful state in which I live. I booked a 2 night 3 day stay at the Tradewinds Island Grand Beach Resort.
With activities for my 13 and 17 year old to enjoy, my husband and I had a wonderful time. Just knowing that the kids were with us and having a good time we were able to relax, ourselves. The restaurants were fabulous as was the service. They, too, helped to support the relaxing atmosphere. We can't wait to go back!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2004

All around great family resort. Excellent rooms overlooking senic St. Pete Beach. Very good selection of family orientated restaurants with competative pricing and good food. Very courteous and professional staff. Highly recommended!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
West Greenwich, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2004

My friend & I booked our trip on Hotwire, so we didn't know what we were going to get until after purchase. Frankly, after I checked the reviews on Tripadvisor I was really concerned... they were very critical, especially of the cleanliness and there were several "family friendly" comments (we're 2 single 30-somethings with no kids). Turns out the place was great. Our room was spotless and very cute. There were many families there but the kids were under control and generally stuck to the "kiddie" areas. We weren't bothered at all. It's pretty self contained (beach, pool, bars, etc.) and although the nightlife in town is a little lacking, we found a couple of fun spots. All in all it was a great long weekend away from the cold!

3 Thank Nikki074
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2004

After endless discussion on where to spend our 10 yr wedding anniversary with our 2 kids (5yrs and 13 mos), we decided on TradeWinds (first week of Aug 04). We managed to get a deal (through Family Circle Magazine....50% off a suite) on a 1 bedroom suite in the Jacaranda Building, overlooking the pool area but high enough to have a view of the ocean. Pool noise did not bother us at all. Our suite had a balcony, which was nice but small. The suite was decent size...we especially appreciated having a kitchenette area (full size fridge, stove, toaster). There was a sofa bed in the living room which desperately needed to be replaced...no way anyone could be comfortable sleeping there. The biggest problem was housekeeping. The bathtub was cleaned only once in the 7 days we were there....and as anyone knows who has small kids, you need a clean bathtub for bathtime!! I called everyday to have the tub scrubbed, but to no avail. Other than the bathroom issue, all other houseskeeping issues were just ok.

The highlight of our trip was our twice daily visits to Fort DeSoto beach, ranked the #2 beach in the US (#1 is in Hawaii). Ft. DeSoto is breath taking...extremely clean, gorgeous water, endless beaches. The beachfront property at Tradewinds is not worth going to when you have Ft. DeSoto beach a few miles away (you'll need a car). Speaking of renting a car....well worth the money so that you can get groceries from the Publix down the street, go to Ft. DeSoto and get dinner from the numerous restaurants up and down the street around the Resort.

Overall impression...happy we only spent $149 night for the 1 bedroom suite. Would never dream of spending full price..it would not be worth it. This isn't a "resort"....just a reasonable place to stay if you're willing to put up with poor quality housekeeping and ok restaurants.

Wanda in reservations was extremely helpful and very , very nice!

• Stayed July 2004, traveled on business
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#23 of 96 in Clearwater
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!