“Great location, don't need to leave hotel”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location, don't need to leave hotel”
Reviewed May 10, 2009

Rooms could use an update, and perhaps have quieter portions of the resort, but all in all, lots of good restaurants, but surrounded by plenty more great eateries. Beachfront is key and resort ammenity fee is reasonable for what you get. Friendly staff. Had Gulf View Balcony Suite and were pleased. Immediate access to water activities and Concierge was helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chiquita15

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
Gloucester
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I'm so glad I read the reviews before I went with my family because I knew what to expect. I can see why people get mad when they think they're booking a 4 star and vacation here.. It's so not a four star as I've stayed in 4 - 5 star resorts before and it's not even close. That said my family did have a really good time. Here are the pros: the beach is great. The pools while not luxiorious are a lot of fun. The kids had a great time. The big slide on the beach was a hit with our 9 year old son but really should have been included in the resort fee. I read really bad comments about the staff but both my husband and I thought that the staff couldn't have been nicer. The real downfall of the hotel is the rooms. We booked our trip combo air, hotel, car on priceline (standard room) When we checked in the front desk staff said that the standard room is really stuffy and that we could upgrade for $30 per night. We checked out the standard room which was clearly a no-star prison cell room so we upgraded to beachfront but still the bathtub didn't drain, the T.V. didn't work and housekeeping was minimal.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ClarkeVic
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 9, 2009

The staff was always polite and friendly. Everyone was very accomodating. The rooms were cheerful and very clean. Our view of the gulf was beautiful. We enjoy the grounds as they are well kept up. We especially keep returning to the Island Grand because it has an adult pool. There are 4 pools, 3 of which have wonderful activities going on for families, but my husband and I travel to spend time relaxing and having this area that is quiet and serene is extremely important. This is a huge part of why we keep returning to this resort. We enjoy the various restaurants, the pool side bar, the availability of cabanas, and chairs. We have spent our last 3 spring vacations at the Island Grand and hope to go back once again next. year.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maizie9
Beverly, MA
Reviewed May 9, 2009

Traveled with two teenaged girls, loved the layout of the resort. Perfect weather for long beach runs, usually spotted dolphins while I ran. I enjoyed the beach, very relaxing and nice cabanas. The staff was very friendly, and I used the car service a couple times to travel to John's Pass and the airport. We rented a car one day for Busch Gardens, otherwise we pretty much stayed and ate at the resort. It was a very relaxing, comfortable place.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank JoAnnaMooney
St. Pete, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2009

....I'd recommend doing it "right" from the valet parking to late nights at Redbeard's SharktoothTavern - the whole deal is 1st class - and extreme comfort ! Great food and absolutely top-notch associates - the best I have ever experienced. Thanks - Tradewinds - we'll be back soon !

Rusty Garside

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gar1313
Dorset
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We stayed here for 1 week after a 2 week Disney holiday. The idea was to have a relaxing week after 2 hectic weeks. We went through Virgin who said this was their flagship hotel. Its important to clarify what we were expecting as I am fortunate enough to have a very good job , lots of holiday and we spend a fair amount of our hard earned cash on holidays every year and stay in 5* hotels in beautiful resorts. The Disney 2 weeks ( i have written a seperate review for this) was for our children 7 & 5 and this week was our holiday to relax.

We arrived at the hotel and at first glance it looks nothing special. It is not a 5* boutique hotel such as 4 Seasons and is clearly a conference hotel and far more commercial. The food uninteresting fries, fries and more fries and the accomodation was ok but again tired and nothing special. Drinks and Food were not cheap (exchange rate had about 20% to do with this but even without this i think it would be expensive) and where possible we added this to the room for settlement at the end of the holiday.There are only three pools and these are not large , however there is a large inflatable slide on the beach which you can use for a considerable sum ($4 per ride or $50 per day). This seems cheeky as other than this slide (which you have to pay for) the other three pools are 1 for adults only and the remaining 2 quite small and boring. Also during the week you get the corporate` crowd piling through for their seminars and wekend parties and weddings that the hotel can be roped off for private functions.The beach is nice and long and the sand is wonderfully fine. The staff are helpful but in a very insincere have a nice day but don't really mean it kind of way.

Overall when we compare the cost of this beach holiday hotel against others in the same price bracket (S Africa,Asia,Middle East) its not good value at all. The Hyatt and Four Seasons in Sharmel Shekh we found best with great diving, kids pools etc. However when visiting Florida (which is a must as Disney is the attraction) it seems as though the hotels (at the higher end) are not that good.

Finally there are loads of bars in the hotel and you can get T shirts etc for visiting them all. As a family we are not great drinkers and the noise was a bit annoying but in fairness this did not go on to late. We were led to believe this was a great holiday destination (indeed their best in Florida by Virgin) and for a family who like to party with older children this might be right. For us the hotel did not live up to expectations in almost every area.

Lesons learned

1. Don't use Virgin (more sales orientated) use someone like Trailfinders (many of their staff have actually visited the places they talk to you about).

2. If you do use Virgin and get the vouchers etc for 10%,20% off kids club etc you must use them at the time of purchase ie if dining pay for the meal and use the vouchers there and then. quite inconvenient considering most of the time you are in your shorts or trunks you don't really want to carry cash. When it came to the end of our holiday we produced the vouchers at check out and were basically told in a 'have a nice day kind of way' NO.

2. Don't get you hopes up for a luxurious beach holiday after 2 weeks Disney and manage your expectations. Perhaps come home and have a seperate week later and get much better value.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank wgfs
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 7, 2009

I've asked my wife to comment after me, so please be sure to read her thoughts.

This resort has many positive features for families with kids: 4 different pools, a giant slide on the beach, an extensive kids program, kid-friendly food (with all kinds of on-site restaurants), a meandering river through the property you can ply with paddleboats, and lots of beach. My kids had a great time.

Mom and dad were less enthused, particularly mom. Here's why:

1. This is not a new resort. The owners have gone to great lengths to keep it updated and fresh, and most of the public areas are in great shape. But judging by our room, there's only so much that can be done. We had a 2-bedroom, beachfront suite - so I'm guessing ours was one of the property's nicer rooms. But the rooms are small, the bathrooms are small and unglamorous, and we had some physical issues (broken toilet that never got fixed, broken closet door that we never bothered to report).

2. The fitness center is adequate, but the "Spa" was a huge disappointment (instead, check out the spa at the Don Cesar down the road).

3. Non-smokers beware! While smoking is prohibited indoors, there is extensive smoking throughout the property. Nothing beats sitting pool side staring at ashtrays full of spent butts and smelling the sweet aroma of 2nd-hand smoke. Our room had a balcony, but so many of my neighbors were smoking on their balconies, it was really hard to enjoy.

4. The food is nothing to write home about (although, we never made it to the two "upscale" restaurants on property).

5. There is no washer/dryer in the rooms and the kitchenette was sparse.

But, I want to reiterate that the resort is very well-suited for kids, and the staff is pretty darn friendly and responsive. The kids programs in particular were extensive and thoroughly enjoyed by our kids (4 and 6). I really think most families will enjoy their stay here thoroughly. But, now for my wife's take:

Wife Says: The property is pretty tired and could use some deep cleaning. I think my husband makes it sound much better than it really is. The best thing about the property is the beach; it is very spacious and clean and they have nice cabanas. The next best thing is giant water slide on the beach. And finally the KONK (kids only no kidding) Club. None of the restaurants were nice, unless your idea of nice is a smelly sports bar. I had a salad at lunch one day and it tasted like cardboard and had the appearance of cooked spinach-like out of a can. If you are a smoker or enjoy the smell of dirty ashtrays and secondhand smoke, this is your place. If a bit of grime doesn't bother you much, this place is fine for you. I didn't feel comfortable letting my kids sit on the floor in the room after their bath because it was dirty enough to turn their feet black on bottom after walking on the carpeting. I also made them wash their hands after they touched anything; inside and outside the room. Yes I hate germs and I am a clean/neat freak.

Husband says: So there you have it. If you're not suffering OCD and not obessed with cleanliness, you'll probably find this place works just fine - especially if you smoke and like eating cardboard. Happy Traveling!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#24 of 96 in Clearwater
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!