After a room change (see below), this was a very nice stay in the Breckenridge building (nearest the adult pool, where I never saw anyone under the age of 17, and he was mature and quiet.) Spotless housekeeping, roomy accomodations. Also included was a wet bar, refrig, microwave, table/charis, as well as seating area. While this building does not have open-air patios, it has a nice tropical feel, and it is more out of the way of the main building. The pools are smallish, but you can have a decent paddle around, i.e. these are not the tropical oceans as at some newer resorts. However, the long, wide, sandy beach is just outside your door, as are beach chairs with cabana covers. There is a paddle coat canal and other activities for the kiddies, including a pirate activity.
Mark, the bellman, should be put in charge of this place.
Since I was here for a conference, and had been here before for a conference, I mostly ate on-site durig the day. The Flying Bridge open-air bar puts out a nice grouper sandwich, as well as decent cocktails and breezy views. Dinner in the nicer restaurant was pretty good. Starbuck's cafe in the main lobby. The breakfast in Bermudas (in the Breckinridge building) was only okay. The coffee should be stronger; the off-the-menu waffle was dry, but nicely loaded with fruit; the buffet is okay for the price, but the fruit could be nicer. Bagels and muffins available in the deli. Overpriced Pizza Hut on site.
For off-site dinner, HIGHLY recommended are Maritana at the Don Cesar (fine, formal dining) and Snapper's (excellent food at moderate prices, across the street and up a block or two.)
The only thing that detracted from the stay was (1) the first room I was given, and (2) being seated next to wait station in their half-empty fine dining restaurant. Room #7255 (and all ending in 55) seem to be the only rooms that are best described as caves with almost no windows, and smaller than average. Like I say, I've been here before for conferences. Since I arrived a day before the conference began, when the hotel seemed half-empty and would fill with myown conference, I attribute this to my being a single person they could "stick" with the room. I cannot say that it was becuase I was female. A colleague traveling at the same time was similarly given a cave on another floor. When I complained, they readily changed me to a nicer room (on a floor which filled with all my other conference attendees.) MOST hotels I know would leave the few worst rooms 'til last. I also asked for a different table in that half-empty restaurant, and they accomodated, but jsut be aware: single travelers are NOT always given the best treatment.
Yes, the Don Cesar is a nicer stay, but this place is fine, especially if you get a good rate and you need to be here for a conference.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- TradeWinds Island Grand spans 20 lush, tropical acres and boasts a heritage of award-winning service and certification as a Florida Green Lodge. Overlooking the tranquil waters of the Gulf of Mexico, Island Grand is located on the white sand beaches of St. Pete Beach, consistently ranked one of America's Top Beaches by TripAdvisor. Discover 201 things to do with a variety of recreation activities including JetLev flight center, The Floating Water Park, children's programs, paddleboats, tennis, stand-up paddleboards, a three story tall inflatable waterslide and more. Island Grand offers multiple dining and entertainment venues along with sand-in-your-toes beach bars. Pamper yourself with a beachfront massage at Body Works Salon & Spa. Relax on a beach cabana or lounge next to one of 5 heated pools and 2 whirlpools. Our on-site resort transportation and car rental agency makes getting to Island Grand easy and stress free. It's not just a vacation. At TradeWinds, it's a totally immersive experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your TradeWinds Island Grand Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tradewinds Island Grand Beach Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Tradewinds Island Saint Pete Beach
- TradeWinds Island Grand Resort St. Pete Beach, Florida