“Mixed reviews”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

If you have kids and want things to do everyday while your on vacation...This is your resort.

I came here for a conference. They do have a lot of pools and one adult only pool. The room (1508) in the Jarcardia building was first level, next to a tiki bar, and had ocean front views. The room was clean but I did find an insect or two hanging out. However it's Florida and those things happen. The a tiki bar was slightly annoying when I was trying to fall asleep but people where on vacation. My room was also directly across the housekeeping closet so I woke up every morning at 6 am whether I liked it or not.

The resort has plenty of Bars, quick eats and fine dining. They make so that u don't have to leave property at all. Some staff seemed to go out of their way for you while others sprinted by you in hopes you didn't ask a question.

Overall if you need to occupy the little ones...This resort has it all. If your an adult and looking not for kid central... I suggest somewhere else.

Be forewarned the parking is plentiful but the spots are for like scooters... it was hard to get a 4 door sedan in if there were two cars on either side of the parking spot.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Shannon L
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding all the activities for the little ones. However, if your looking for something a little quieter, I'd suggest The Guy Harvey OutPost, our sister property, which is much smaller in size, yet you still have access to all amenities at both properties. I realize how important it is to be well rested and prepared for your conference. I've already forwarded this to several different departments that would have staff in the immediate area of your room to please member to be quite in the early morning hours as some guest may be wanting to sleep in. Hope to see you with your family next time! Thank you. drogers@twresort.com

Write a ReviewReviews (5,564)

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Not a good value for our money. The whole reason we selected this hotel was for the water slides/activities for children on the beach. Out of the 5 days we were there. They only had them out 1 day for 2 hours. Difficult for kids to understand. Our room was only cleaned 2 of the 5 days. When housekeeping came they showed up at 6:00 pm. Other days we were handed towles and told they were busy getting other rooms cleaned for new customers. We called front desk and housekeeping each missed day. Didn't help no one ever came to clean our room. We actually sat at the pool and watched the housekeeper skip our room because we had called and complained. The worst hotel I've ever stayed at. Wouldn't go back even if we had a free week. Staff was not good at communicating and seems every person we spoke to was rude or very unaware of hotel and answering questions. To top it all off there was no parking spots unless we choose valet for an additianl cost. So disappointing!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Robert0211

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. It's unfortunate that the water park was closed due to inclement weather and rough surf conditions / rip current warnings while you were here. The safety of our guest is a top priority and with that is the responsibility that when lightning is within 15 miles of the resort, we have to close all outdoor activities. As you can image, this time of year in Florida does come with the typical afternoon thunderstorms. After which, most activities reopen.
I have attempted to contact you directly so as to determine the multiple calls for service that were missed and have forwarded this to both the front desk and housekeeping departments as well.
We have expanded our services and activities to many new items this year and with the addition of seasonal summer staff, training and proper communication is critical. I stress this in each and every department meeting I attend. If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Our overall trip was great. The activities for the kids kept them engaged and they really had a good time. The room was recently remodeled and in good condition. Wish we had opted for a balcony but will have to do that next time. I had read some complaints about calls regarding their timeshare / travel packages; we were offered a session with some deal when we checked in and we politely just said NO and please do NOT call us. We never received a call or another offer.

The Jet Lev experience was truly awesome. I knew nothing about what I was doing but John, Will and Peter did an excellent job giving me instructions on how to work the Jet Lev. It is a work out so be prepared but overall I would definitely do it again. The key is having good instructors that are patient and work with you to literally have you flying over the water after a 10-15 minute course.

What was great:
The activities on the beach and across the property were great. The pools while smaller had several of them so that wasn't such a concern as we spent most of our time on the beach and only took occasional dips in the pools or showers to cool off as the ocean was warm. The water activities were great. Catch the ocean water park before noon to avoid a crowd. The water slide was least crowded early and around lunch but the line moves faster than you would think. The staff was very attentive and friendly. My kids really enjoyed the craft sessions and digging for sharks teeth to break up the day.

Ideas for improvements:
We've stayed at a Club Med resort and they had more family activities at night. For example the kids trained one day and performed a skit at night to music. Every night they had a family dance party in a bar area for an hour or so. My in-laws and kids really liked this and it would be a good addition to add.

Room Tip: Select a beach front room on the Breckinridge(sp?) side of the resort. We had no noise on the 5th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris U
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

The only reason why this stay was good was because I had 22 family members to spend it with and the weather was good. The hotel service and room cleaning was bad. The beds were uncomfortable and had wood boards to keep firm. The coffee table broken, staff were not well trained. All the free stuff was always canceled but yet the excursions were always open. Not worth the money at allll

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gerri-ann C
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apologies for failing to meet your expectations. I have forwarded this to our housekeeping department managers for further review to see if there were any calls for daily service or if there were any do not disturb rooms improperly documented. This may have resulted in the absence of service on that one day. Regarding the bed board, it's obvious the prior guest had requested additional support. However, it should be noted that later this year when occupancy allows such, we will be replacing all guest rooms mattresses and box springs. About the closing of the activity events, pools and beach, safety of our guest is a top priority. During inclement weather we are require to close these events if lightning is within 15 miles of our location. If not for that, with ongoing winds out of the West, making the Gulf waters too rough for the water park and creating strong currents and rip tides, those are closed for your safety. Thank you for bringing your extended family here to our resort. I'm sorry that you were not completely satisfied with you stay and if I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate tot contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com

Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Don't know where to start. How about day one.

Get into our room to fine the coffee table about to lose a leg along with the table on the balcony.

One of our four beds had a piece of plywood underneath the mattress due to a broken box spring.

Then I pulled out our ironing board to find out it was bent to where it wouldn't function. Pretty hard to miss if you do an inspection of the room after each guess. So we called down to get it replaced and a 1/2 hour later they drop it off without taking the broken one. Had to wait yet again.

Then the housekeeping missed our room two days in a row. I mean we had nine people staying with us so between the toiletries going fast we had to call yet again.

We talked with a manager and they did give is a days credit towards our stay. So that helped ease the pain a little bit.

Now if you know Florida at all it rains and it stops. But with all their late night activities if they got a a hint of rain or lighting everything got canceled. I mean with all the indoor space to rent rooms for conferences or receptions they didn't have a backup for anything.

Sorry for the rant but if you would ask if I would recommend or stay here again, I would have to say no.

Just wasn't what they make it out to be.

Now the next two day

Stayed: July 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apologies. It was a pleasure to meet you just prior to your departure. As per our conversation, each of your concerns were addressed and I've forwarded it on to the proper department managers for further review. I also took time to explain our policy regarding inclement weather and the priority of guest safety. If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com

Reviewed July 15, 2014

My family and I stayed here recently while attending a week long conference. While the conference facilities have much to be desired, the resort itself was nice and the amenities were great for the family. The rooms have been updated and the beds are nice. We took advantage of the Cabana reservation program (included in stay) and had some great days at the beach! We also enjoyed the huge slide, pool, activity building, and paddle boats. The on-site restaurants have good food and atmosphere. The prices were in-line with expectations.

The only real disappointment was that EVERYTHING shut down if lighting was spotted within 100 miles. For example, we were sunbathing on the beach with beautiful blue skies and hot sun when an air raid horn sounded. We looked to see what was going on and saw employees scrambling to close the pools, slide, and any other activities, except for the beach. We asked what was going on and were told that lightning had been sighted in the area. I sarcastically asked if they saw it in Miami Beach, because there were no thunderstorms in sight!!!! They said it was for safety. I appreciate that, but I was not in Elementary School where someone needed to tell me when to get off the playground! Yes, they might be liable if someone got struck...NOT, you can't be held liable for acts of god unless they started parasailing in the middle of a thunderstorm. I digress, the bottom line is let adults make the decision on whether they want to swim in the pools or other activities that the resort employees don't have to be exposed to. It will be a more enjoyable experience for patrons paying a lot of money for the fun.

Room Tip: Beach view rooms are great!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank R B
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here for our family reunion and were very disappointed. Rooms were not what we were promised, the staff was not pleasant and there was a roach in the kitchen! This place is too overpriced for the service!

Room Tip: Make sure they know what you mean by beach view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Nilejustice

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. We take all guest concerns seriously and take even extra precautions when made aware of insects or other pest situations. We have a third party outside contractor who is on call and responds to each individual case regarding insects in guest rooms. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com