“Perfect Staycation”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Tampa, Florida
“Perfect Staycation”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We decided last minute to have a nice staycation last weekend at the Tradewinds and had such a wonderful time. We booked through Hotwire 4 star for $170, so we had a feeling it was probably the Tradewinds. From the moment we drove up Makar greeted us and asked what the reason for our visit was. We told him our anniversary and immediately he made sure we were sent a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Then we checked in and Aiden made sure to give us two complimentary drink tickets This really kicked off our stay on the right foot. The Tradewinds is a wonderful resort to stay at whether your visiting from afar or driving over from Tampa. You don't need to leave the resort for anything. They have multiple pools, restaurants, bars, and activities going on. I even saw that they do yoga on the beach in the morning (will remember this for next time). The room was nice. Had a faint smell but once we got the AC on it went away. They have a mini-fridge with drink and snack, plus another fridge, and they also have utensils etc. This was great, I love not having to use a plastic fork. The balcony was teeny tiny, but we didn't stay in the room much, so this didn't really matter to us. We had a wonderful visit and will be sure to go back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarlyM24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,428)
Lisle, IL
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I brought our 3 kids (9, 7 and 3). Hands-down the best part about this place is the service. Reminded me of Four Seasons or Ritz. EVERYONE was friendly, authentic and on-the-ball. Management: whatever you are doing to train, retain and reward your team--please keep it up.

Overall, the resort met my expectations and was perfect for our family. The pools are nothing special but perfect for my kids. The shaded pool kept my little guy out of the sun and my bigger kids just need water to have fun. I liked how close everything was (rooms--pools--beach--food), very easy to get around and I wasn't exhausted at the thought of running back to the room or the beach for a forgotten item. And it was so easy for us to split up while staying close to each other if we needed to do a kid swap.

My kids loved the water slide, mini golf, paddle boats and ping pong. Mini golf set up was as basic as it gets but for my kids--perfect.

The food is what I expected. We ate at both fine dining options--Italian (Palm) and steak/seafood (Bermuda's)--had room service, and ate at Flying Bridge for lunch. Expensive for the quality of food at the fine dining. Acceptable but not memorable. The menus were diverse with good options including healthy ones--a pleasant surprise. Service and kid-friendliness were top notch.

Loved the fact that the Publix is walking distance (.5 miles).

We stayed in 2-bedroom suite and the layout was ideal. The kitchen/living area completely separate form sleeping area. And you could leave the room without fear of waking still sleeping kids. It was clean and had everything we needed. It's clear families are pretty hard on the room. Mattresses were soft and the rooms are dated. The walls are very thin. I could hear the bathroom in a room above or next to us from one of the bedrooms--we kept the fan on for white noise which eliminated the problem.

Usually, we like to try a new place every year. This time we are seriously considering going back to this place because it has everything we need for a good vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank lisleworkingmom
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Hello lisleworkingmom,
Thank you so much for recognizing our staff's dedication and attention to detail when it comes to customer service. We truly strive to make every guest feel important from the moment they book their stay until the time their visit comes to an end. We're so glad your family had a blast in our pools, on the beach & on High Tide Slide. We hope you WILL consider coming back again next year now that you know about us!
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The resort was great, and full of many different activities. It is very family friendly, in fact I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have kids, as it seemed the place was overrun by them. I felt like I was at Disney World. The staff was all very nice and courteous. The food was also reasonable priced and not ridiculously overpriced like most resorts. It was a great hotel, just not ideal for a romantic getaway, but highly recommended for families.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Claudia R
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My room had a water leak called maintenance. Steve Street was the tech he diagnose the problem quickly and correctly. He said he would have go get the parts to make the repair. After about ten minutes he was back to replace the pipe he was very professional and had the repair made in 1/2 hour
Thanks Steve Street for your hard work.

• Stayed April 2014
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I Was lost on the floors and a security officer Terry Williams Guided me Back to my Appropriate Room. If it wasn't for him I would have been stuck for a while.
I Love the breakfast service, the staff were amazing.
Thanks

Room Tip: Best place for a vacation.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hello Lyric w,
Sorry to hear you got a little turned around, but we're glad Terry was able to guide you in the right direction. It's also great to know you enjoyed our breakfast options at Island Grand. Thank you for sharing your experience and come back to visit soon!
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This is the hotel for you if you want to have a multitude of activities, restaurants and bars, without ever leaving the property. It is a little busy and noisy during spring break, but that's because it's a large resort and people are moving around doing all the things they offer. Great for kids and family groups. Plan on going back again next year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Pekin, Illinois
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have just returned home from my ninth stay in eight years at the TradeWinds Island Grand Beach Resort. I absolutely love the place and the people that work there, which is why I keep going back,. As with all places, at first I ran into a few little glitches, but they were remedied immediately, and the rest of my stay was nothing but first class. From the housekeeping departments, security, room service, bartenders, even the grounds people, you always get a smile, and a good morning. Food is very good there too. I am already planning on my tenth visit next year.

Room Tip: Just depends on what you are after. I always do gulfside, so know I will have a little more noise an...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hello Allentown60,
Thank you for continuing to come back to see us - we can't wait to see you again next year for your 10th visit! It makes us very proud that you return each year because of our amazing staff. See you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
Sirata Beach Resort
#13 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!