“Sometimes you gotta make the most of it people!”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My family and I just got back from a 2-night leisure stay at the TradeWinds Island Grand family and, coming from the Northeast, were hoping to take advantage of the sand, beach slide and Gulf waters and patio pool(s).

While the lobby is not as impressive as some properties I've visited, the actual help during check-in was great...lots of people behind me in line but the person took the time to provide lots and lots of details about the property and its amenities. I asked about availability for something beachfront and was told that there had already been an complimentary room upgrade. This was great to hear after some extensive travel time.

We made our way to our room and it was on the 5th floor and had an outstanding view of the Gulf. Opened the sliders right away and let in that Gulf breeze and listened to the ocean. Room was fine. This is an obvious aging property, but something I noticed...and was looking for...throughout my stay was that there were CONSTANTLY maintenance people walking the grounds, working on things and seemingly keeping up on all things structural. Aesthetically, is it on par with some other places I've stayed (Disney Beach and Yacht Club). No, but it has a very simple seaside charm with it's exterior stenciling and walkways.

We made our way down to the pool area and promptly ate at the Flying Bridge. Got a bunch of appetizers and some shrimp for myself and everything was great, service included. I think our server's name was Mark (he was from Chicago) and he was funny and prompt and engaging.

Kids wanted to swim in the pool. It was evening, after sunset, so it was already chilly, but the pools were heated to a comfortable temperature (something I had been skeptical of) and we had a quick dip, hit some of the hot tubs then made our way to the calming waters of the Gulf just a short beach walk away. Finished the night with a great walk on the beach looking at stars with my daughters.

Next morning, woke up and had a pretty good steak and eggs breakfast at Bermudas...great wait staff, our waitress (forget her name...from Green Bay, I believe) was super nice to our kids and what they needed. No complaints. Manager came by multiple times to make sure our food and experience was up to par. Nice personal touches.

Thought my girls would attack that water slide after breakfast, but after seeing it blown up, they decided the pool (s) were the safer option for their comfort level. Okay...I booked based on that beachfront slide (with heated water), but I didn't account for my daughters getting spooked. Gotta roll with it.

So we hit the pools and they dove right in. None of the pools were crowded, the temps were fine and the bonus was in the later afternoon, they had an emcee come out and get the crowd involved in all sorts of swimming or cannonball competitions and guys v. girls trivia, which was very fun and very "resort-y" as i haven't experienced this type of interaction between staff and guest since I stayed at an all-inclusive adult resort in Jamaica. Fun for my kids to experience.

Once the swimming was up and the temps were dipping, we got dried off and set off on the beach for some seashell collecting. It was windy and a bit chilly (hoodies were needed with our swimsuits), but we walked about a mile north and came back with an impressive 1/2 lb. of shells and shell parts.

Ate a quick dinner at Beef O'Brady's and got some appetizers which included some delicious Habernero/Mango wings (brand new to the menu our waiter mentioned). Quality family dinner and they had a really good happy hour for adults to boot! Happy hour at a resort...unheard of. Tried to do some night time swimming but the weather didn't cooperate as there was plenty of rain and thunder.

Next moring, we got up and got downstairs to try out the paddle boats which was a pretty unique little experience. Be careful, the ducks and swans are conditioned to get fed from the boat's personnel...so you better be prepared to feed them some bird chow available by the dock or to out-pedal them.

Check out was no problem and was asked several times if the stay was up to snuff. We were there 2 nights and were very happy with the experience. The weather didn't cooperate all the time and the awesome slide was a non-factor based on my daughter's taste, but we felt we used enough of the property and their amenities to create some very nice St. Pete Beach memories...and I've got the pictures to prove it.

5  Thank nroyalton_dad
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Hello nroyalton_dad,
Thank you so much for documenting your family's stay at TradeWinds Island Grand. We're really glad that you guys had fun and enjoyed all the amenities we have to offer. We hope you all can come back for another visit - hopefully we can get the girls to muster up the courage to tackle the High Tide Slide next time!
Leni

Write a ReviewReviews (5,536)

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I took my family to Tradewinds Island Grand on St. Pete Beach in December. We were there because we support the OHIO Bobcats that were playing in the Beef O' Brady's Bowl. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay! From our GREAT room that overlooked the beach/water to the paddle boats you ride in the river on the resort property. The restaurants were delicious. While not attending the festivities for the game we hung out at the Beef O'Brady's Restaurant and watched other games while enjoying awesome food and beverages. Service there was GREAT!! Our female server whose name escapes me now was AWESOME! I think it started with a T. Tessa or something. I forget. But my kids had a GREAT time with the inflatable slide that I have never seen before. They even had what they called a JET Lev thingy that makes you fly above the water. All in all I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this place!!!! We hope to be back there soon!!! Go Bobcats

Room Tip: Get ready for a fun time!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Hello Gary W,
Go Bobcats! We really enjoyed having the Ohio State fans stay with us for the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl 2013. It makes us so happy to know that you had a great time, too! Thanks for sharing your experience. We hope you'll come back to see us again for another does of fun in the sun.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I have been coming to the Trade Winds for 9 years and every year is better than last! We just returned from our visit and as always, loved every minute. My husband has an Annual Conference he attends, and I get to tag along. The Receptions, Luncheons, and Service is overwhelming. There has not been an event that has not been top shelf. Our meals we ate on our own were outstanding. Palm Court and Bermuda's dining experience was lovely. Flying Bridge and the Deli were great! The housekeeping staff does an amazing job - THANKS to Guilia! Emily assisting us with Paradise Club - awesome! Julia in Beakers Gift Shop - always a pleasure to see her HUGE SMILE and welcome us back personally! I look forward to seeing Alla in the Spa, she gives the best manicures! It is fun at Salty's to watch the sunset and especially to see Elaine - her service and smiles are GREAT! It is such a treat to see the staff that we have come to know each year. Our dates are set for next year and we are so anxious for another fantastic trip! :)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Hello Kobenhavns,
We love that you have been able to make an annual vacation out of your husband's yearly conference at TradeWinds! Thank you for recognizing our hardworking and friendly staff members by name. We'll be sure to pass along your kind words to their managers. See you next year!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Our family of 4 (kids ages 9 & 11) came down for a long weekend to escape the cold weather in Atlanta. We paid for a standard room with balcony that overlooks the tropical landscape. We were pleasantly surprised when we got to the room, as we could see (and hear) the ocean! That was a great bonus! I already read the reviews, so I was prepared for the small size of the room and bathroom.

We didn't have to leave the resort for entertainment. The kids did the paddle boats, swam, jumped on the trampoline and got in the gyrosphere, etc. They stayed on the giant slide for over an hour AND they found the ice cream shoppe! They are in heaven! There's an activity schedule that changes every day. The workout room(s) are nice as well. Larger and nicer (and cleaner) than standard hotel gyms. Oh, and the hammocks are heavenly! That is where I spend the morning when the resort is quiet and I listen to the ocean while the sun rises. Couldn't ask for more.

Huge shout out to Felix, one of the grounds keepers. He is very pleasant - always with a welcoming smile. I stopped to chat with him and in return, he recited an original poem for me in his beautiful Caribbean accent. He's awesome!

We took advantage of the Valentine's package, which included a fabulous dinner from Bermuda's, champagne with flutes to take home, and a couples-only bonfire.

A bonus is that there is a grocery store in walking distance. We'll be back!

2  Thank GeorgiaPeach321
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Hello Anika B,
We're so glad you got to escape the harsh winter weather in Atlanta for some R&R in paradise! Sounds like your family had an amazing time, and we're thrilled you got to experience our special Valentine's Day "Hearts on Fire" package. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Please come back to visit us when you're ready to get back to the beach - we'll save one of the hammocks just for you!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Our stay was, to say the least, a waste of money. The resort fee, a bit harsh to put it politely. What was included, walking on the beach and a joke of a paddleboat ride. It wasn't even in the ocean. Mini golf, I could make a better one in my backyard. The kids center, nothing was free. Well, playing with legos. Seriously!?
Room upgrade? The WORST location for sleeping. The first night there was LOUD music and yelling. I called the front desk, but nothing was done. This was at 9:45 at night. People were yelling and talking loudly jumping in the pool until 1am or later. The guy at the front desk said, "it's where families like to stay, it's not loud during the evening". Yeah, right. And what about when I called before booking, asking if there would be loud music. I was told "no".
Our cooktop didn't work. It took 2 times, over 2 days, asking for someone to come and fix it. Then he didn't know what was wrong. My husband asked where the circuit breaker was, the guy had no idea. Really? You work here, are the engineer, and you don't know where the circuit breaker is. We finally had to go get more food at the restaurant. over $50 for a burger, 3 chicken strips and a sandwich. Ridiculous!
They allow people to smoke anywhere on the resort. BY THE POOL! Where we had to breathe it in. How unhealthy!!

6  Thank Summer B
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for us at TradeWinds not meeting your expectations. I have already forwarded your concerns to the appropriate department managers for further review. I have also attempted to contact you through a TripAdvisor message to ensure that each of your concerns have been resolved, which does require further information.
Thank you.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

On the last morning, on the way to my car to grab something. On my way out I went to the men's room, which looked as if it was recently cleaned. The cleaning attendant walked in behind me and as I closed the stall door asked me "if I was going to take a hot $hit?"I turned around and started to leave after telling him I'll just use the one in my room. He proceeded to block the door closed and tried to keep me in the bathroom. Other than that the hotel was nice.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Steve R

As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for your experience upon departure. I have personally spoken to the Public Areas Mangers for further review of our policy and procedure of such situations in the daily morning meeting. I hope that you won't let this prevent you from staying here at TradeWinds in the future. If I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Drogers@twresort.com

Reviewed February 15, 2014

From Florine Whitfield attending to every detail in our spacious room, to Darleen going the extra mile to make scheduling work at the Spa, to the hostess at Palm Court thinking out of the box to secure us a dinning reservation on a very busy night everyone had one focus in mind; to make our stay wonderful. There exist an ease of pace and ultimate relaxation to be enjoyed not to mention the best beach, sky, and sunsets in THE WORLD!

Room Tip: Don't miss a few hours in a hammock!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Rhonda L

Hello Rhonda L,
You've got that right - our sunsets can't be beat! Thank you of recognizing our fantastic staff members for their efforts. We're so glad you had a great experience and got to relax while you were here. Please come back to see us.