My family and I just got back from a 2-night leisure stay at the TradeWinds Island Grand family and, coming from the Northeast, were hoping to take advantage of the sand, beach slide and Gulf waters and patio pool(s).
While the lobby is not as impressive as some properties I've visited, the actual help during check-in was great...lots of people behind me in line but the person took the time to provide lots and lots of details about the property and its amenities. I asked about availability for something beachfront and was told that there had already been an complimentary room upgrade. This was great to hear after some extensive travel time.
We made our way to our room and it was on the 5th floor and had an outstanding view of the Gulf. Opened the sliders right away and let in that Gulf breeze and listened to the ocean. Room was fine. This is an obvious aging property, but something I noticed...and was looking for...throughout my stay was that there were CONSTANTLY maintenance people walking the grounds, working on things and seemingly keeping up on all things structural. Aesthetically, is it on par with some other places I've stayed (Disney Beach and Yacht Club). No, but it has a very simple seaside charm with it's exterior stenciling and walkways.
We made our way down to the pool area and promptly ate at the Flying Bridge. Got a bunch of appetizers and some shrimp for myself and everything was great, service included. I think our server's name was Mark (he was from Chicago) and he was funny and prompt and engaging.
Kids wanted to swim in the pool. It was evening, after sunset, so it was already chilly, but the pools were heated to a comfortable temperature (something I had been skeptical of) and we had a quick dip, hit some of the hot tubs then made our way to the calming waters of the Gulf just a short beach walk away. Finished the night with a great walk on the beach looking at stars with my daughters.
Next morning, woke up and had a pretty good steak and eggs breakfast at Bermudas...great wait staff, our waitress (forget her name...from Green Bay, I believe) was super nice to our kids and what they needed. No complaints. Manager came by multiple times to make sure our food and experience was up to par. Nice personal touches.
Thought my girls would attack that water slide after breakfast, but after seeing it blown up, they decided the pool (s) were the safer option for their comfort level. Okay...I booked based on that beachfront slide (with heated water), but I didn't account for my daughters getting spooked. Gotta roll with it.
So we hit the pools and they dove right in. None of the pools were crowded, the temps were fine and the bonus was in the later afternoon, they had an emcee come out and get the crowd involved in all sorts of swimming or cannonball competitions and guys v. girls trivia, which was very fun and very "resort-y" as i haven't experienced this type of interaction between staff and guest since I stayed at an all-inclusive adult resort in Jamaica. Fun for my kids to experience.
Once the swimming was up and the temps were dipping, we got dried off and set off on the beach for some seashell collecting. It was windy and a bit chilly (hoodies were needed with our swimsuits), but we walked about a mile north and came back with an impressive 1/2 lb. of shells and shell parts.
Ate a quick dinner at Beef O'Brady's and got some appetizers which included some delicious Habernero/Mango wings (brand new to the menu our waiter mentioned). Quality family dinner and they had a really good happy hour for adults to boot! Happy hour at a resort...unheard of. Tried to do some night time swimming but the weather didn't cooperate as there was plenty of rain and thunder.
Next moring, we got up and got downstairs to try out the paddle boats which was a pretty unique little experience. Be careful, the ducks and swans are conditioned to get fed from the boat's personnel...so you better be prepared to feed them some bird chow available by the dock or to out-pedal them.
Check out was no problem and was asked several times if the stay was up to snuff. We were there 2 nights and were very happy with the experience. The weather didn't cooperate all the time and the awesome slide was a non-factor based on my daughter's taste, but we felt we used enough of the property and their amenities to create some very nice St. Pete Beach memories...and I've got the pictures to prove it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- TradeWinds Island Grand spans 20 lush, tropical acres and boasts a heritage of award-winning service and certification as a Florida Green Lodge. Overlooking the tranquil waters of the Gulf of Mexico, Island Grand is located on the white sand beaches of St. Pete Beach, consistently ranked one of America's Top Beaches by TripAdvisor. Discover 201 things to do with a variety of recreation activities including JetLev flight center, The Floating Water Park, children's programs, paddleboats, tennis, stand-up paddleboards, a three story tall inflatable waterslide and more. Island Grand offers multiple dining and entertainment venues along with sand-in-your-toes beach bars. Pamper yourself with a beachfront massage at Body Works Salon & Spa. Relax on a beach cabana or lounge next to one of 5 heated pools and 2 whirlpools. Our on-site resort transportation and car rental agency makes getting to Island Grand easy and stress free. It's not just a vacation. At TradeWinds, it's a totally immersive experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, TravelUp, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your TradeWinds Island Grand Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tradewinds Island Grand Beach Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Tradewinds Island Saint Pete Beach
- TradeWinds Island Grand Resort St. Pete Beach, Florida