“Excellent Stay at the Tradewinds”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Redding, California
“Excellent Stay at the Tradewinds”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We recently stayed at the Tradewinds from Nov 1-6 2013. My husband and I were there for the Pierce Manufacturing annual sales meeting. I am sorry other people had a bad experience because our stay was FANTASTIC!!! I have learned a long time ago with traveling, if you look for the bad you will find it. So look for the GOOD and enjoy the experience!! We had flown in from LAX the day of the shootings, we were tired, frazzled and shaky. When we finally arrived around 10:00pm Friday night we were promptly greeted and taken care of. We had a group of 12!! There wasn't one staff member from housekeeping, grounds crew, coffee/bar, restaurants etc. that wasn't super friendly and eager to please. I am not exaggerating!! Also every single person I came a crossed that worked there said hello or had a pleasant exchange with me. Coming from California I am used to everyone being pretty friendly at resorts, Tradewinds went above and beyond and was our home away from home for 6 days. I wasn't expecting great treatment and was cautious and was very pleased with them. Okay, now on to the rest of the review. The hotel has been remodeled in areas and is very well kept. It is an older resort, but charming. The grounds were immaculate. Lush brick courtyards are everywhere. Our room was in the main part of the hotel #3252. We had a view of the canal and if you looked closely to the left you could see the gulf. I would recommend saving the $$ and staying in this part of the hotel. You will see the gulf every single day, it's literally right there. I preferred the quiet vs. view. Our room was small but very quiet and very clean. I loved that. Yes a little older furniture, but not at all bad. Every room has microwave, refrigerator, separate sink with glasses, etc. Also has a minibar. DO NOT TOUCH anything in that minibar unless you are buying. Everything is on a sensor and you will be immediately charged. Bathroom was spacious and the shower was amazing with great water pressure! We had two double beds and both were comfortable. I am not a great sleeper and I slept very well. And that was due to how quiet our room was tucked out of the way and comfy beds. Housekeeping was in everyday around 11:00am which was perfect. No problems there whatsoever. I am guessing that the negative review about the bathrooms was from the beach bathroom located right by the tiki bar. There is a shower/bathroom and it is used for people coming in from swimming in the gulf and rinsing off before walking back to their rooms. Yes it is a very small bathroom and it is rather smelly and run down. But there wasn't one other bathroom like that anywhere in the resort. All others in each building were very nice and very clean. Also after reading that negative review again I understand what they were saying, the Breckenridge building is toward the back, it has the view rooms. But with that comes the convention rooms downstairs, pool area and tiki bar can equal lots of noise. I am sorry they didn't enjoy their stay but I was really impressed by Tradewinds, I have stayed at many 5 star resorts and yes Tradewinds may not be the most posh I have stayed in, but I was very happy with how clean everything was and just how beautiful the grounds were. The bridges and canal with swans and ducks were pretty. There are courtyards everywhere for people to enjoy and they can get away and find a peaceful place to rest. There are 3 pools. We didn't use them because we had cabanas everyday, but I did notice kids in the adult pool and Jacuzzis. We also weren't there during the busy season. Most of the people staying there were adults without children. However, I think Tradewinds is an excellent place for families. All inclusive resort. I loved seeing the kids having fun on the beach and around the pools. Also since it was November they didn't have the splash park open, but that makes perfect sense! They did however have the giant water slide everyday. Also all you have to do is ask for towels for the pool area. And at the beach they are at the cabana booth. You have to reserve cabanas. They are free with the exception of the front row, $15 a day. It was empty when we were there and would book 3 front row cabanas and only have to pay for one. They were very gracious with us. Food at the resort is pricey but very good. Coffee shop/bar in the lobby has pastries, etc. Deli/Store in lobby has all kinds of food and sandwiches. Pizza hut/ice cream shop in the Breckenridge building. There is a Publix supermarket about 1/2 mile down from the hotel. Also cheaper eating a cross the street. Yes the resort fee of $35 is ridiculous, but what can you do? There isn't really much to do in that area but enjoy the beautiful gulf and beach. John's Pass Village Boardwalk is 5 miles away. I think I covered everything! Any questions you can email me
cbauer81@gmail.com! Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Cbauer81
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Hello Cbauer81,
Your candor, honesty and positive outlook is a perfect example of why people rely on TripAdvisor for reliable travel recommendations. Thank you SO much for taking the time to write such an in-depth and thorough review of your experience at TradeWinds Island Resorts. We love that you put us in line with some of the best resorts that you have visited during your travels over the years. We really do try to cater to everyone's needs/wants and try our hardest to make sure that all guests have the best experience possible. Thank you for recognizing that! Please come back to see us again when you're ready for some more R&R!
Kindest Regards,
Leni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I'm not one for writing reviews so this is a first for me but I just had to share my amazing experience here!! My husband and I stayed at the Trade Winds Island Grand for our honeymoon over the past weekend. Upon arrival my husband mentioned to one of the workers, a tall gentleman named Dan, from housekeeping, that it was our honeymoon. After getting settled in the room, we received a knock at our door and had champagne and chocolate covered strawberries delivered. It was amazing that the employee who we spoke with went out of his way to make our stay extra special. We will definitely return again and are recommending the Island Grand for our friends wedding guest accommodations.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cecelia B
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Hello TravelingTreasures,
Thank you! We are so excited to hear that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your treasured honeymoon memories. Dan certainly is an amazing individual and we will be sure he is recognized for taking the time to make you feel extra special. We hope to see you for your One Year Anniversary! Congratulations to you both and best wishes for a many years of happiness.
Léni
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was my family's first time to Tradewinds and boy were we ever impressed. As soon as we pulled up we we're treated like royalty. Matt at the bell stand was great. The room were perfect for a family of four, and the view was picture perfect. In fact my Facebook has lots of those pictures on it.
The kids had such a great time there between going down the huge slide, swimming in the pools and hanging out at the konk club. The konk club was great because they have a babysitting service so my wife and I could sneak off and have a nice drink together during sunset.
I want to give Dan from housekeeping a special thanks, we took his advice and went to Johnspass and had a blast. We even saw dolphins in the pass which the kids loved. So thank you Dan.
All in all the stay was perfect and we most definitely coming back!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank prees11
Hello prees11,
To 'impress' you from the very start is certainly what we strive to do, and how wonderful to hear that we were able to do it! Thank you for sharing your photos of the resort on your Facebook account and for taking the time to write your review here. We love that the kids had a blast at the pool, the High Tide Slide, and the KONK Club (especially since you were able to have some special alone time together over sunset cocktails ;) Also, thank you for specifically recognizing Matt and Dan. We will ensure that their efforts are recognized by management. Can't wait for you guys to come back to see us!
Yulee, Florida
Reviewed November 13, 2013

From the cold reception upon arrival, even at 6:30 in the evening, to the numerous other issues on site, the experience was terrible. There were kids running around completely unattended and crowding the hot tubs with 10+ people (all of which were under 12 years old) all through the night. The bathrooms were disgusting, toilets stopped up, doors stuck to where you could barely get out. There was a dance competition going on and we were barely able to get past all of the exhibits in the Breckenridge foyer due to the large crowds. The dance competition lasted until late and the noise was not tranquil like you would expect for a beach resort. Not to mention that you really should not put guests right in the middle of a convention that they are not a part of, you should separate them if you know that an entire area is going to be engulfed with so many people participating with a convention. It was obvious that the convention did not want us in their way either.

The property did not resemble or feel like a resort in any aspect. The $35 resort fee should have included some of the other items on property like the bungee jump, etc. The splash park was a huge advertisement on the website yet it was not up on our visit, creating a huge disappointment. While using the cabanas, not one employee ever asked if there was anything we needed. Also, there were no pool towels available at any of the pools, only on the beach and this was only while they were staffed. It was not fun to get into a "heated" pool only to realize that it wasn't heated and then have no towel to dry off with.

We will not return to this property. I was actually scouting this as a possible property to host a conference, and did so on my on dime and without contacting their sales people so that I could really experience what our guests would experience. Needless to say this will not be on any list of possible venues now or in the future due to the terrible stay that we had. This was a waste of $300 on a mediocre motel stay that should have been 1/3 or less of that! Even our 11 year old was extremely disappointed and could not wait to leave.

I received a better room rate and extreme attentiveness by staff for myself and my family at the Don CeSar just down the road. For anyone looking for a resort experience and expectations, I would highly recommend Don CeSar over Tradewinds, hands down. Their staff was very attentive and the amenities were much more than what Tradewinds could ever provide.

Room Tip: Find a room at the Don CeSar instead.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ALMWACY
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept our apologies for failing to meet your expectations. I have already forwarded your concerns to the appropriate department managers for further review. We were fortunate to have high occupancy during your one night visit, otherwise I’m sure your room assignment would have been in a more preferred location away from any potential disturbance of the dance group. The resort amenity fee covers just about everything except the bungee jump and the gyro sphere which the children do love, so we are taking that into consideration for next year. Splash Island water park was closed for safety reasons due to extremely low tides. This combined with inclement weather are the only two reasons for which it would be closed, obviously beyond our control. However, the High Tide slide did remain open that weekend for everyone to enjoy. There must have been some confusion as all pool towels are available at The Adventure Center, which is the central focus point for all activities, towels and any other needed items adjacent to the beach front pool. Regarding the pool temperature, four out of the five pools at the Island Grand are heated to 85 degrees. The only exception is the toddler pool with a maximum depth of one foot with the temperature being controlled by the natural sunlight. A review of all engineering hourly pool records showed no indication of any temperature variations within any of the pools. Seeing how you were on a personal sight visit, I again apologize that TradeWinds did not meet your expectations. Regardless, I have forwarded this to our sales office for further contact in hopes of answering any other questions you may have and to hopefully consider TradeWinds. Scrolling down through the recent reviews on TripAdvisor, there are several other extremely positive reviews from group guest attending their conference while here which I know given another opportunity you and your attendees could have the same experience. If I could be of any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.
Doug R. Director of Guest Satisfaction – TradeWinds Island Resorts
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We had a fabulous time at the Island Grand again, the hotel and facilities are amazing and the food in the Palm Court Italian Grill is still to die for. The difference this year was the presence of BlueGreen a company on site and apparently partnered with the Trade Winds Hotel.
They will invite you to a 90 minute presentation and warn you that they will make you a "soft" offer to buy their holiday plan. Basically it's a time share except you buy points instead of time. It's more flexible and seems like a better scheme, I might even have seriously considered it except for the fact that it was an extremely high pressure sales pitch. The presentation dragged on for three hours during which time multiple techniques were used to try and get us to sign up. In the end we had to just get up and walk. It's a half decent product guys, but you're using the same sales techniques as the timeshare guys of the late eighties.
That said, it didn't spoil our time at the Island Grand, we had a great holiday, it's just a cautionary tale.

Room Tip: Get a high room if you can away from the air con generators.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Wavy281
Hello Wavy281,
We are so happy to hear that you had another fabulous stay with us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Blue Green. We certainly take all feedback to heart and will be sure to pass it along to the parties involved. We hope you will come back to visit us for a third time when you are ready for your next dose of beautiful beaches, amazing accommodations and fantastic food.
Léni
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Our family has been staying with this resort every year for about 30 years. Why? Because its an absolutely wonderful resort. There is so much for kids to do and so many activities. The resort itself is beautiful, the rooms are clean, and very nice and updates often. The service is exceptional, the employees are very kind and helpful and they have plenty of choices for dining at the resort. I highly recommend it to anyone! We have never once in 30 years been disappointed and the beach is beautiful! Can't beat the sunsets!

• Stayed November 2013
Hello Chriser14,
Thirty years of memories at the TradeWinds Island Resorts? WOW. We are so honored to be a part of your family's history and special moments. It really says a lot that you have stayed with us countless times over the years and that you have never been disappointed by our accommodations, staff, activities or restaurants. Thank you so very much for sharing your kind words.
See you in "heaven" soon!
Winter Haven, Florida
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the TradeWinds. They have quite pools for adults and fun pools for kids. My kids had a great time and made new friends. The food was wonderful and we had the best waiter at the Bermudas restaurant. Tyler even had vegetarian meals made especially for us. The dolphin tour took us from the Tradewinds to see dolphins and then to the nature reserve, Shell Island. It was magical. Overall a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but ask for oceanside.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hello K S,
We are thrilled to hear you had a "wonderful experience" with us! How great that the kids were able to have a blast and make new friends while they were here. The dolphin tour to Shell Island is just one of the very cool activities that our guests enjoy - so glad you got the opportunity to experience that. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and for recognizing Tyler from Bermudas. We will be sure that his management team is notified of his job well done. Please come see us again soon when you are ready for another beach getaway!
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#24 of 96 in Clearwater
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!