“Nice Resort”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very nice resort. We arrived early, and were shown where to change for the beach and within an hour the front desk called our cell to twll us the room was ready. Sunday brunch was wonderful, as was dinner at Palm Court (michael was amazing as our server). Nice breakfast at Bermuda's...not amazing, but adequate...dinner there was also Ok.

Beach is beautiful. Enjoyed renting jet skis ...staff there was great. Overall, the entire staff is very welcoming and go out of their way to be cheerful and helpful.

Cons...spa was not open during our visit. No notice one the website when we booked or we would have gone to another fesort. Love to have that massage, facial and mani pedi during vacation. Asked front desk avout the closure and were told that it might reopen and we should leave a messge. No return call and we kept checking at the spa. Also, the main pool was being powerwashed and painted. Again, no prior notice on website. The noise was very loud. You could not even speak to someone at your table in the reataurant/bar next to this pool. This we t on during our entire visit.

1  Thank Mary K
There are newer reviews for TradeWinds Island Grand Resort

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife and I are currently here. A short visit for 3 days prior to moving over to Sunny Isles

The beach is gorgeous as all of St Pete Beach is. The staff are friendly and helpful mostly. Our reason for negative rating is as follows:
1. Old Motel style rooms but we have travelled to more than 30 countries and many old old hotels in developing countries however we have not stayed in such a dirty room before. When I called the desk they did send someone to clean but it was during a time I had a conference call. I stated to the desk anytime except these 2 hours but the lady did not speak English and could not understand so she never came back. I called again but nobody came.

2. The cost is with resort fees equal to what we pay at the Trump in Sunny Isles but at no point is this even close in quality.

Great location, poor management

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brc4
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I are repeat visitors to the Tradewinds Grand ... We have never been disappointed! Excellent rooms, top-notch service, wonderful staff, and a lication that just can't be beat! An outstanding beachfront resort! --- Hal Moroz

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Hal_Moroz
Katie M, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Happy to hear that you always enjoy your stay with us! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have vacationed twice here, 2010 and 2013. I was totally pleased both times. I stayed in the Breckinridge building. There is nothing bad I can say other than the elevators are small but there are 3 and never had to wait. Every staff that walked by wax very polite and attentive.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Had a great time at the tradewinds resort, yes, it is expensive, but if u have kids or teens it is worth it. There are lots of activities, including water sports. The slide is fun, I think I enjoyed it more then the kids! :). The best part was having the view of the beach on one side and a view of the pool on the other, we had a corner one bedroom. The cabanas are nice also, if u remember to reserve them the night before, all u have to do is go to the little hut and tell them your name and pick up your towels. Had movies at the pool 3 different nights while we were there, kiddie movies. The is security when u go in and on the beach at night, so it feels very safe, never worried about the kids, 17 and 19, running around on their own. We only had a rental car the first few day, after that we used the free beach rides, never had to wait long, and you just tip the driver. There were enough restaurants, ice cream shops, and things to do in the area that you really don't ever have to wander far. We went to johns pass, using the beach rides, only about 10 min away. And while I had the rental car went to honeymoon island. It's worth the trip, but if you go from st Pete leave early, it took longer to get there then we planned, partly because of construction and roads.

Room Tip: Definitely spend more and get a beach view at least, we had a small balcony also
3  Thank lilanglica

Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that your kids did too! Hope to see you back on the beach soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked a Gulf Front room with a balcony. Great view, I loved sitting out on balcony checking emails, surfing in am on my iPad. Received wireless signal with no problem. I was disappointed with the size of our room. I know, how much time do u spend in your room on vacation.....but there were 4 of us and we were tripping over each other constantly.

Beach is beautiful!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We live within 30 minutes of the TW & decided to do a staycation the last weekend before school starts for my older daughter, who is 9. We also have a 5 week old so my older daughter didn't get the usual summer vacation this year so wanted a weekend that was all about my older daughter. She was very excited for the water slide, paddle boats and "water park" in the gulf. Long story short, we won't be going back to the TW. Although my daughter had a good time, I could tell she felt a little let down after looking at the TW website and getting very excited and then seeing the reality of the resort... a lesson in viewing marketing with a grain of salt.

The resort is old and run down. The front building that holds the lobby, a few shops & one of the restaurants is a beautiful, bright, open space. But once you leave that building, the property is a maze of old tired, run down buildings. Like... Motel 6 just off the interstate in po-dunk Mississippi tired & run down. The 1 BR tropical view suite we stayed in was nice and clean... not a very comfortable bed or pillows, but the room was nice. But, just about all of the common areas and buildings themselves are old and stale. I grew up in the area & remember the resort being that way back in the 80's as a kid. I mistakenly thought they had done some type of major renovation. Either that didn't happen or it was done just after the last time I was here in the 80's. It is a really great location, beautiful beach and could be a spectacular property, but it's just old. I get the irony of complaining about a lack of updates in one sentence & the ear piercing noise of jackhammers chipping up old tile downstairs in the next sentence. But it seems like it will be years, if not decades, of construction noise to get this place renovated.

The restaurants are poor at best. A very good indicator of the target market & where the bar is set for this resort is the fact that one of the on site restaurants is a Pizza Hut and another is a Beef O Brady's. Just like pizza hut, this place is all about marketing & selling the sizzle but at the end of the day you are left disappointed by the subpar quality. How good do those pizza hut commercials look? If you think Pizza hut makes a good pizza, this is the resort for you!! I get having kid friendly restaurants in a kid/family friendly resort. But, there isn't a single restaurant (besides the pizza hut & beef o brady's chains) in the resort that would survive as a stand alone outside of a captive audience resort setting.

Bermuda's Steak & Seafood - only restaurant that serves a hot breakfast. The place looks like an old moose club lodge...dark, dingy, low drop acoustical ceiling. They really want you to get the breakfast buffet. I tried to order off the menu instead of getting the buffet & was told it would be 35-40 minutes to get a made to order breakfast. Really... 35 minutes for 2 eggs over easy? No way I was coming back here for steak & seafood... might as well go to the Golden Corral.

Palm Court Italian Grill - The most expensive place in the resort. Ordered take out one night due to the new born. We had a late lunch so my daughter just wanted the kids mozzarella stick dinner. 3 cheese sticks... no sauce no side. The chef's "daily ravioli creation" was lobster ravioli! Wow, sounds delightful. Silly me to assume it was the chef at the restaurant's creation... clearly Marie Paul's, chef Boyardee or similar & not the onsite chef. This dish was definitely frozen or premade/packaged lobster ravioli.

Amenities - water slide on the beach is fun for the kids. Can go as many times as you'd like & averaged about 10 minute wait time when we were there.
Several pools on the property.
Water Park in the gulf - One of the main reasons my daughter wanted to go to TW. Even at $16/pp for an hour we were all in. Don't count on it. First day they claimed there were dangerous currents & closed the park at noon. Second day I called early to book a spot in the 10 - 11 am session. No reason given, just not sure if it will open today, but if it does, it definitely won't be until later. Both days were an east wind... we swam in the gulf, no currents.
Spa- Was in the same old run down building as Bermuda's restaurant. Spa day includes lunch from Beef O Brady's... if you know Beef O Brady's... enough said.

One last slap in the face on checkout day... called and requested a late checkout & were told it would be $20/hour for a late checkout. On principal we declined to pay $20/hour... This brilliant policy results in a mass cluster for the bellmen & valets at 11 AM. Called for a bellman at 10:30 & didn't get one until 11:30. These guys were clearly busting it & hussling, but clearly overwhelmed with everyone trying to get out of their rooms at the same time. Brilliant policy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Sirata Beach Resort
#13 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!