“Nice property beautiful location.”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
BROOKLINE, NH
“Nice property beautiful location.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We recently had a family vacation at the Trade Winds Island Grand in St. Pete Beach, Fl, and it was a great time away. The room was clean, and the beds were comfortable. Having a kitchenette was very nice and the ocean balcony view was beautiful. The property is just gorgeous with many activities included in the resort price (see hotel website). The beach sand is white and the ocean water is aqua colored and relatively calm with only small waves. The sunsets are beautiful. We did not eat at the restaurants on the property as we like going out to dine with the locals. The restaurants in the area we tried were great. At the hotel, we had one call about listening to a time share offer and we declined without any hassle. This property is only about 40 minutes from the Tampa International Airport which is a plus.

Room Tip: Ocean front balcony suites are beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
Fleming Island, FL
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked through Expedia.com, which ordinarily is great, but in this case, the hotel got our room mixed up. We booked a suite and were given a standard room instead. Money aside, ordinarily this would not be a big deal, but with a 10 yr old and an infant, we needed the extra room. We were told we could not change rooms until the next day which meant we would have to repack everything to move rooms. Initially we were told we'd get the money back on the price difference between the rooms and an upgraded ocean view suite. While we were offered an ocean view room, it was too small so we had to decline. We also did not get any money back because we booked through Expedia.com. This probably annoyed us the most because they should not have promised something they could not deliver. They did give us breakfast, lunch, and dinner on them. We were very appreciative of the effort but felt they could have done more to make up for their mistake. Our second room on the sixth floor was very nice with a tropical and part ocean view. The property was very well maintained, and the housekeepers did a great job as well. The elevators were kind of slow, and I could only find one ice machine per floor, which on a holiday weekend presented quite the problem finding ice. The slide on the beach was great, and the activities out on the water sure looked like fun even with the extra cost. We did not make it out because once we went to buy tickets, the tide was too low. Upon checkout, we called for help with our luggage. We waited just over 30 minutes when we decided to just carry them out ourselves. It took two trips down those slow elevators to complete the job. The bellman did come by almost 45 minutes after we called. Next time I hope they let their guests know if there is a large wait time because we were delayed by almost 30 minutes.

Overall, the property was very nice, and I would not mind one bit staying again. Next time, I would call to verify my room reservation before I arrived.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views. Ocean view rooms next to the pool can be quite loud if you have...
1 Thank SteveinFI
New Jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2013

First let me say that the room was ok, the staff was great and the food was excellent (although expensive). The only complaint about my room was that the air conditioning units are very noisy and my wife could not sleep well the week that we were there because of the air conditioning noise.

However, I would not go to this resort for a vacation because of the inconvenience I experienced. I was at Tradewinds for a conference. When I checked in i was asked if I wanted Tradewinds' staff to take my luggage to my room. I declined because I had a lot of expensive equipment that I did not want to let out of my site. I was assured that I could take my own luggage up to my room when I got to my building. However, when i drove up to the building where my room was, there were no carts--and I was told I could not have one because it was a liability issue! REALLY? Every other hotel I have stayed at did not feel giving a guest a cart was a liability. So, I asked the desk to call for a cart. It took 20 minutes for a cart to arrive. Then the bellhop insisted that I ride in a different elevator to my room. Seemed to me like this resort really wanted to separate me from my equipment. I insisted on riding in the very small elevator with my equipment. Everyday that I had to go to work I had to make several trips to my car with my equipment. I was not going to wait 20 minutes every day for a cart and someone to push it for me..

Now for the thing that really annoyed me: Tradewinds decided to close the north parking lot for the Trifitness Challenge. People PAY to park at this hotel, and now they shut down half of the parking! We could not park there Thursday, Friday and Saturday so that an obstacle course could be placed in the parking lot. I had to work on Saturday, and I could not get my car out of the parking lot. I had to call a friend who was staying at another hotel (one which does not inconvenience their guests) to come pick me up. A coworker wanted to go grocery shopping to avoid paying the high food prices at Tradewinds, but he too could not get his car from the parking lot. Another friend was forced to valet his brand new Corvette--he was not happy either. This experience really annoyed me. I would never voluntarily stay at a hotel that thinks nothing about causing a major inconvenience to its guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Recon_Engineer
Marysville, Ohio
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Could not be happier with my stay. Every employee was more than helpful and friendly. Beautiful location. Beach very clean. Great to have your own cabana. Bars, restaurants are great. Beds were new looking and extremely comfortable. Had never stayed here before but would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lutz, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family and I just returned from our Memorial Day vacation at the Island Grand. The trip was so fantastic and has created so many memories for our entire family that I just had to write a review. The experience began with the fantastic service I received when calling in to book the room.

The customer service agent was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. He recommended the perfect package for my family. Not only was the service on the phone fantastic, but he remembered when we were arriving and contacted me on the day of arrival to make sure everything went smoothly. The customer service professional's name is Joey Castro and he took the time to come to the pool and personally meet with my family and provided additional information to ensure our stay was perfect. The service was above and beyond and I truly hope that he is recognized for it.

From the moment we walked into our room we were blown away. The view of the gulf front was to die for. The room was very nice and very well appointed. I have stayed in alot of five star resorts including many high end timeshares, but I have to say that the beds were the most comfortable I have experienced away from home to date.

The rest of the service staff was also fantastic and all the ammenities included in our stay made for an all around fabulous vacation. Please keep up the fantastic work and thank you for employing service professionals like Joey Castro. We will be back!!!

Mike Dickey

Room Tip: The gulf front parlor room at the Island Grand is a perfect choice for a great view and quality.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Katie M, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Mike, thank you for the wonderful review. We're so glad that our staff and accomodations made your stay a memorable one. Hope to see you again soon!
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here for a conference, and I must say the staff was excellent. The property was immaculate and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Now for my gripes (they are fairly minor). This is NOT an inexpensive place! incidental charges are stiff and the building we stayed in was plagued by either a broken elevator/ or extremely slow elevators for the entirity of our trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our first day here and we can't say enough about all the friendly and caring employees. Wherever we turned, we had smiles and a helping hand by any employee. Great day capped off by a great meal and service at Bermuda's. We were hungry and tired and our waitress, Karen, was full of smiles and quick service. She made us feel at home and got us a great meal in quick fashion. Her service embodied what we ran not all day. Thanks Karen and Tradewinds!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
Coconut Cove All Suite Hotel
#24 of 96 in Clearwater
Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to TradeWinds Island Grand Resort? Share your experiences!