“Another Excellent Vacation at Tradewinds”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have been visiting Tradewinds for many years & as we stay for around 18 nights we need a place that is worthy of the flight from the UK. Tradewinds logo is " Just Let Go" and the whole ethos of the place allows that to happen. It is big enough to feel the buzz of a great resort & big enough conversely to become anonymous & find seclusion,peace & quiet. A great mix!! The staff are very friendly & although we had a problem with the room a couple of days in I cannot praise enough the way the front desk & housekeeping dealt with it immediately thereby allowing us to avoid the bother of changing rooms & enjoy fully the remaining 2 weeks of our vacation
My wife & I have nothing but praise for this resort & wish we were younger to take advantage of the slide & Jetlev & para gliding that takes place right outside on the beach
I have no hesitation in recommending Tradewinds

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,612)

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just back from six days at the Trade Winds. This is our second year staying at this resort. I was there for an annual conference and I am able to bring the family, and we also add a few days an extended stay and family vacation.
First, the location can’t be beat. It is easy to get to and there are plenty of stores and restaurants to close by. The most lasting memory I have about this location has to be the TW’s staff. There were several that were just great, to include DeVann (sp?..sorry) John from New Bedford (MA) who was working on the beach and around the Slide, and Chris..who was at the store near the main pool. We also love Blaze and Captain Redbeard !
Everyone does a great job making you welcome and taking care of any little concern you have. We had one small issue in our room and it was taking care of quickly. Everyone seemed happy working there. The waitstaff at the onsite restaurants were equally pleasant and accommodating. I only have a few critical observations. One is about cleanliness. I noticed that there were several cigarette butts near one of the hot tubs for our entire stay. That’s gross and unacceptable. In addition the common bath near the kiddie pool was not regularly spot checked. By 3 PM, it was just nasty. This was more of a common area issue, as our room was clean and housekeeping did do a good job each time they came by. I wasn’t too keen on the bedding, the coverlet was not soft and scratchy, and the mattresses were very soft, and seemed well worn. Nothing to leave a bad taste in our mouth, but worth noting.

We were happy with the food service on site, and activities. We learned that next month they are getting a new big slide that is on the beach and is a big hit with the kids. This is a great site for a family with young kids. There is plenty to do, and plenty of other youngsters to have fun doing it with. Our daughter loved the pool movie night, snow cones and especially Captain Redbeard’s show. Last year she bought his CD and knows all his songs.

Thanks to the staff for a great visit, we are looking forward to our return next year !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Have stayed at tradewinds more than a dozen time it keep s getting better every time we come bsck. Will stay at the tradewinds guy Harveyresort new place and still have all accessto the island grand. For all they have to offer. the staff was very friendly and punctualthe beaches in the area and the select a food that they have is phenomenal

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Always come here over spring break and it is excellent!!! Ignore the comments about "dirty rooms, small bathrooms, and high prices" because it's nonsense. This place is so much fun I went here as a kid now I'm bring my kids here it is great. Go to the Tradewinds- I promise you will not regret it!! <3

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Victoria K
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Huge property with a lot to do. The paddle boating area could be cleaner! Front desk staff was amazing! Loved the beach and pool area! Tons of activities for the family. Very safe area. Found the spa to be too expensive.
My family will most definitely be back in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Siobhan M
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I'll preface my review with the fact that I did not pay full price for our room. We were able to score a last minute deal on travelocity for an unnamed 4 star hotel for $108/night (plus the usual dreaded resort fee $35). We had guessed it would be trade winds. So my review will be skewed by the fact that I didn't expect much. I feel the resort is more a 3-31/2 star resort. 4 stars lead me to believe it is a luxury resort, and while it is clean and enjoyable it is not luxurious. I called to request a king bed the morning before we checked in and the hotel accommodated us. I believe all of the rooms are suites, we had a separate living room which is nice for watching a little TV at the end of the day. I also appreciated the kitchenette, as we bought cereal, milk and fruit from publix for a quick and easy breakfast. As others mentioned yes the room had a bit of a damp smell to it but that is to be expected by the beach. The bed was clean as was the bathroom. The carpet looked new. We were happy with the room.

I had read reviews stating that the resort food was so-so and we ate off the resort for the weekend. There are restaurants within walking distance (Agave), use yelp. We also drove to downtown St. Petersburg one afternoon to walk the pier and had lunch downtown at Acropolis, which was delicious. We did eat at the resort pizza hut during the super bowl which was good and expectedly overpriced. They had a giant outdoor projection for the Superbowl with heat lamps and tables set up which was fun. The pools are heated but still too cold for us to swim in 70 degrees (february) but many people were enjoying them. We did enjoy the hot tub. It was especially nice that the hot tub was open till 11pm. We enjoyed relaxing there one night. The beach cabanas are great and comfy for watching the gulf. The beach is beautiful! The sand is soft and the water is clear. We enjoyed walking on the beach everyday. You feel like your in the Caribbean or Mexico. the resort was not crowded for the weekend we were there.

Flaws- few and far between.
1. The hot tubs (2) were packed with children during the day, it would be better if there was a hot tub in the adults only section
2. The water pressure in the shower was terrible! Yes it was a rain shower head but not much water. It would be difficult to wash all the sands/salt out of your hair if you went swimming at the beach.
3. We happened to receive a handicap accessible room and the curtain was not long enough as the water would end up all over the bathroom. We put extra towels down to soak it up and keep us from slipping. Housekeeping did clean it up every day.

Overall, yes I would go back if I paid the same rate. Had we paid $400/night as some reviewers stated I would have been underwhelmed. I would definitely recommend this resort to families with young children. The pools, mega slide etc would keep them busy.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Arti S
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were very pleased with our stay at the TradeWinds. This was our first visit, both to St. Pete's beach and to a TradeWinds facility. The facility was recommended by the company hosting a course, and we were very happy with the recommendation. The room had a beautiful view of the sunset every night. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly and helpful, and there were plenty of options for food and entertainment (karaoke night, live music some evenings, etc.). The facility is located within walking distance to many nice restaurants. The beach is very clean and the cabanas are great (we stayed in the slow season, so there was no difficulty getting a Cabana). We were a little disappointed that the staff closes the cabanas at 5 when the sunset didn't occur until after 6, so you have to give up the chair cushions, etc., wish they would wait until after sunset. We scheduled massages with the spa located in the Tradewinds, and the massages were great! Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and would recommend it to family and friends looking for a nice, safe and fun place to stay when visiting St. Petersburg.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business