I'll preface my review with the fact that I did not pay full price for our room. We were able to score a last minute deal on travelocity for an unnamed 4 star hotel for $108/night (plus the usual dreaded resort fee $35). We had guessed it would be trade winds. So my review will be skewed by the fact that I didn't expect much. I feel the resort is more a 3-31/2 star resort. 4 stars lead me to believe it is a luxury resort, and while it is clean and enjoyable it is not luxurious. I called to request a king bed the morning before we checked in and the hotel accommodated us. I believe all of the rooms are suites, we had a separate living room which is nice for watching a little TV at the end of the day. I also appreciated the kitchenette, as we bought cereal, milk and fruit from publix for a quick and easy breakfast. As others mentioned yes the room had a bit of a damp smell to it but that is to be expected by the beach. The bed was clean as was the bathroom. The carpet looked new. We were happy with the room.
I had read reviews stating that the resort food was so-so and we ate off the resort for the weekend. There are restaurants within walking distance (Agave), use yelp. We also drove to downtown St. Petersburg one afternoon to walk the pier and had lunch downtown at Acropolis, which was delicious. We did eat at the resort pizza hut during the super bowl which was good and expectedly overpriced. They had a giant outdoor projection for the Superbowl with heat lamps and tables set up which was fun. The pools are heated but still too cold for us to swim in 70 degrees (february) but many people were enjoying them. We did enjoy the hot tub. It was especially nice that the hot tub was open till 11pm. We enjoyed relaxing there one night. The beach cabanas are great and comfy for watching the gulf. The beach is beautiful! The sand is soft and the water is clear. We enjoyed walking on the beach everyday. You feel like your in the Caribbean or Mexico. the resort was not crowded for the weekend we were there.
Flaws- few and far between.
1. The hot tubs (2) were packed with children during the day, it would be better if there was a hot tub in the adults only section
2. The water pressure in the shower was terrible! Yes it was a rain shower head but not much water. It would be difficult to wash all the sands/salt out of your hair if you went swimming at the beach.
3. We happened to receive a handicap accessible room and the curtain was not long enough as the water would end up all over the bathroom. We put extra towels down to soak it up and keep us from slipping. Housekeeping did clean it up every day.
Overall, yes I would go back if I paid the same rate. Had we paid $400/night as some reviewers stated I would have been underwhelmed. I would definitely recommend this resort to families with young children. The pools, mega slide etc would keep them busy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- TradeWinds Island Grand spans 20 lush, tropical acres and boasts a heritage of award-winning service and certification as a Florida Green Lodge. Overlooking the tranquil waters of the Gulf of Mexico, Island Grand is located on the white sand beaches of St. Pete Beach, consistently ranked one of America's Top Beaches by TripAdvisor. Discover 201 things to do with a variety of recreation activities including JetLev flight center, The Floating Water Park, children's programs, paddleboats, tennis, stand-up paddleboards, a three story tall inflatable waterslide and more. Island Grand offers multiple dining and entertainment venues along with sand-in-your-toes beach bars. Pamper yourself with a beachfront massage at Body Works Salon & Spa. Relax on a beach cabana or lounge next to one of 5 heated pools and 2 whirlpools. Our on-site resort transportation and car rental agency makes getting to Island Grand easy and stress free. It's not just a vacation. At TradeWinds, it's a totally immersive experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your TradeWinds Island Grand Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tradewinds Island Grand Beach Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Tradewinds Island Saint Pete Beach
- TradeWinds Island Grand Resort St. Pete Beach, Florida