“Loud Rave Party, not a quiet relaxing hotel”

TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Negatives:

1) NOISE: It was too loud. I don’t mean sound coming from hotel patrons, but that the hotel itself was putting on a rave party outside with a large outdoor stereo system (DJ) and microphones, ostensibly to sell alcohol, without any consideration for hotel residents who may want peace and quiet. We had no idea this was going to happen and there was absolutely no way to escape it. I would expect hotwire and the hotel to notify people ahead of time to provide fair warning before committing to this ‘four star’ resort. If you want peace and quiet, the Tradewinds is not for you.

2) RUDE STAFF: Not all of the staff were rude, however, when we called the front desk about the music volume, a very robotic and clearly uncaring woman took the call and told us that the noise would soon stop. It did not.

3) LACK OF CARE FOR COMFORT OF GUESTS: Overall, we do not think the hotel cares for the comfort of their guests. Clearly they did not initially take our complaint seriously. We had to go to the front desk, with bags in hand, and demand a refund at approximately 9pm before they would take us seriously. Then, they could only move us to a different hotel, under the same ownership – down the street. It was a tremendous inconvenience, but at least we were away from the rave party that is Tradewinds.

4) HOTWIRE: We used Hotwire to book this trip. It seems they are a big disadvantage for places like this since we could not get completely away from Tradewinds (Hotwire has a no refund policy), but we were extremely lucky that they had another hotel of similar quality nearby. We will think long and hard before using hotwire again. The resort charges ridiculous amenity fees upfront which seems very dishonest to me. Is this how the hotel gets back the hotwire discount? If so, why partner with hotwire at all?

The Positives:

1) After our move across the street, it was a quiet environment and we slept fine.
2) The room was clean – both locations
3) The common areas are very nice at both locations. Their garden paths, pools, etc are all very nice.
4) The staff at the sister location (the Guy Harvey Outpost) was altogether on par. The coffee bar the next morning at the GHO was very good and they provided great customer service.

Room Tip: Ask ahead of time about whether or not they will be having parties on the patio. Also, for this hot...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alvahgoldbook

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I recently stayed at the Tradewinds for a conference and you can't beat the location. The staff seemed a bit green and weren't able to answer basic questions. The rooms definitely need to be updated -- mine had a bit of a moldy smell and some of my colleagues had plumbing issues in the bathrooms. That said, it was a very nice location and I'd consider staying there again.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the waterway and a bar so it got quite noisy a couple of nights. I would recomme...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I went there on a business trip and had got this on a special group price, so I'm not sure it is going to be as cheap as I got, for everyone, but it will easily match the best resort I have ever been to. I got a nice view of the beach from my room. And could just walk to the beach in 2 minutes. It is well-suited for official meetings too. My room was pretty spacious with two TVs and a well-equipped kitchen! As another reviewer put it, I really wish I had taken my family.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I just visited the Tradewinds for a conference. It was amazing. I was there for business and wish I had taken my family. From the registration desk staff to the cleaning personnel to the wait staff, without exception it was all about customer service. The rooms are really well appointed and the amenities were excellent. Because we were there for a conference and it was "off season" we were given access to quite a few of the amenities without charge including cabanas, paddle boats and so forth. They have a variety of menu/restaurant options at a variety of pricing which makes it perfect for a family but also very high end at the same time. Each room has a kitchenette which makes "in room eating or drinking" a nice option. This resort is right on the beach so for those who want to explore Florida's Gulf Coast, it was great. The activity staff is beyond parallel and we were even there during a down time. They have a kids club plus a full service SPA (perfect combination). This property is also recgonized as serving families of children with Autism and they have a range of programs and services for families with that particular need. I also noted beach accessibility and "beach wheelchairs" for individuals with physical disaiblities. I plan to take my family back for a vacation. Great fitness facilties and shopping (Guy Harvey) on grounds.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Katie M, Manager at TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for your review and we're so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again soon...this time with your family for some fun in the sun.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The staff were decent with the valet service and check-in. Check-out was ok but she was not exactly thrilled with her job and it showed. The locale was great - right on beautiful St. Pete's beach. Lots of places to eat and drink at the resort. We got a blakened fish sandwich and fries and also nachos at the Tiki bar by the beach. We also opted for the large drinks for $16. The beach was great and well maintained. The room overlooked the Gulf and was a great view,tho should have had a room above second floor to see past the palm trees. A nice fitness room is there as well. Overall the place is quite nice and great location with beach and stores and places to eat. I would return if I could get a deal.

Room Tip: Face the gulf on 3rd floor or better. Get the big drinks.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jimlanman
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My recent convention experience was good on all the usual measures; pleasant staff, decent amenities, clean room, etc. but there is a three-story high, fifty yard long, inflated blue slide set up on the beach between the pool complex and water that literally blots out the view of the Gulf. And it's electric blower motor makes a constant drone sound that obliterates the sounds of the surf. Just so a few patrons can climb up it and slide down from time to time. And it is a blue, ugly thing. It is a catastrophe. There are plenty of other beach activities for kids and families to frolic with, so get rid of this monstrosity.
Walter C

Room Tip: Ask for gulf facing room
Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank WaltCris
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

First time at the Tradewinds, and it was fantastic. Everything you would expect at a beach resort and so much more. There are so many different things to do. Room was large and had a kitchenette, but could stand some updating. The Sharktooth bar desperately needed another bartender, but the atmosphere was fun.

Definitely want to come back and bring the kiddos for all the pools, activities and the awesome beach!

• Stayed: November 2012