“Not bad saved my beach getaway weekend”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Its not the Trade winds or the Hilton but great staff clean room and steps to the beach....let me rephrase that awesome staff go out of their way to make sure your enjoying your time. Would have gave it a higher level but rooms are a little dated. ...but I would definitely return

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joel C
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Greetings, Joel C. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I'm very happy to read that we were able to "save" your beach vacation. Providing our guests with a clean, quiet and comfortable room is always our number one goal, and it gives me great pleasure to know we met our mark with your reservation. I look forward to sharing your review with my staff as well, as they're always eager to hear when their hard work is noticed. In regards to our rooms being somewhat "dated", I'm happy to inform you that we will be updating certain aspects of our guest rooms this Fall!!!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to St. Pete Beach!

Reviewed July 17, 2014

We did enjoy our stay last week although we had bad experience with housekeeping. Upon checking in we discovered a large disgusting splatter on wall in bathroom. Can't imagine how this was missed, Housekeeping was gone for day and although we were offered to switch rooms, we opted to wait until morning since we had unpacked and were exhausted since up since 2 A:M due to traveling. It was cleaned next morning thankfully. We then had a day housekeeping didn't clean room at all saying we had the "Do not disturb" sign up. This wasn't true! The following day room wasn't cleaned until after 4.
On the positive side, staff overall was friendly, Toasted Monkey food and service was great!
Location on beach fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Sharon B. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be friendly as exceptional customer service is our number one goal. In regards to the issues you experienced with my housekeeping department, I'd like to offer my sincerest apologies. I will be sharing your review with my Executive Housekeeper so that our future guests do not experience the same problems.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to St. Pete Beach!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

just a few words to,let you know that me and husband had a nice stay at your hotel and will definitely return in the future. the only thing I would improve on Is the size of the tiki bar are as it was small especially in the evenings when after dinner we would like to go and listen the the entertainment and have a cocktail and beer. also the parking on the side of the fence seemed ridiculous. I mean there were people parking that were only there to go to the tiki bar or beach area. the housekeeping lady that cleaned our room did her job well. we stayed in room 312. though the room needs some updating it was comfortable. we also appreciated the call after we checked in that evening to,ask if everything was ok. we would recommend your hotel as it was close to the beach etc. another thing too many people from the trade winds resort seemed to take over the beach by your hotel. which to me was also ridiculous since they had a lot of beach access by their own hotel they were staying in.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor. and definitely get a gulf view room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Greetings, Amy894. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself while with us. I look forward to sharing with my Executive Housekeeper that you received great service so that the housekeeper who serviced your room can be acknowledged. In regards to the rooms needing some updating, I'm happy to inform you that we will be updating some of our rooms this fall!!!

Again, thank you for sharing your recent experience. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at the howrd johnson st pete beach fl for the long weekend , we had a great time , the bach is really good and its right in the back of the hotel the pool was small but verynice and the toasted monkey its very good too, the rooms and the hotel needs a little of remodeling , and a more modern touch , also the parking if you have more than one car per room its an issue , we had 3 cars and only 2 rooms and we spent the whole morning of one of the days trying to resolve the parking issue, it wasnt very nice and disappointing . The staff was friendly and helpfull .

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Greetings, Leo L. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am happy to hear that you had a great time while staying with us. Our vast white sandy beaches are beautiful and being located directly on the Gulf of Mexico can make for some gorgeous sunsets! I'd like to apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced with parking. However, it is one parking pass per room and we go to great lengths to ensure that our guests are aware of this prior to their arrival. In regards to our rooms needing a more modern touch I'm very pleased to inform you that we will be updating some of our guest rooms this fall!

Again, thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to our area!

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We got a great price on a Gulf front room with two queen beds for myself and two kids. The balcony was very very narrow and that was the only thing I didn't like about the room. Very convenient to have the car parked in the lot between the room and the beach so we could drop things off. Front desk clerks were polite. Cleaning service didnt come until three or four each day and that is a little inconvenient. Hotel kind of set back farther from the beach than what we are used to in Myrtle Beach but from what I saw they all seemed to be that way. My kids didn't enjoy the beach as much as we do the Atlantic because there aren't many waves. We did see a lot of sea life though. I also recommend taking the Shell Key Shuttle down the street. If we come back to St Pete I will stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jenne-25
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Greetings, Jenne-25. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm happy to hear that you obviously enjoyed yourself while with us and will return in the future. Being located directly on the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach is only one of the reasons that our property can't be beat! I'm sorry to read that your room didn't get serviced until late in the day. On your next visit, feel free to contact the front desk as you leave for the day and we will have housekeeping come and service your room once you've left.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Here now. Ad says Gulf view from your room! Of course I don't have one. Customer service is weak. They didn't care about anything but checking you in. No Continental Breakfast. The Monkey at the beach was nice. Rooms need to be modernized. If you're with kids it's o.k. Anything else look elsewhere!

Room Tip: If you want a Gulf View PLEASE verify before wasting your money. They will give you whatever they ha...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chuckf608
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear chuckf608. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry to read that you experienced so many issues with the type of room you reserved. Unfortunately, when booking through a 3rd party site versus the hotel directly this will sometimes happen. I wish there could have been something we could have done to accommodate you, however our hands are tied if you haven't booked directly through the hotel or Howard Johnsons. Also, we do not provide a "continental" breakfast because we have a restaurant the "Toasted Monkey" on site that opens daily at 7 am that servers a variety of economical breakfast items.

Again, thank you for sharing your opinion. I hope that the next time your travels bring you to our area you will give us another chance.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Every May we have our mini family reunion at this hotel. You can't beat the deal. The Toasted Monkey bar out back and restaurant out front are GREAT. The pool is fine with shufflboard. Could use more shady areas to camp out. We always travel with our family, and now 18 month old daughter. We love this hotel!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for the efficiency type room to get a full sized fridge and kitchen. Totally...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Greetings, g8rgirl4. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm very happy to hear that both you and your family enjoyed yourself while with us. There is no better compliment than that of a return guest, and I'd like to thank you for your continued patronage. I will take your suggestion about needing more shade on the pool deck under advisement, as guest satisfaction is always #1!

Again, thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. We look forward to seeing you again next May for you next family reunion.