“Great Location”

Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Miami, Florida
“Great Location”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at the howrd johnson st pete beach fl for the long weekend , we had a great time , the bach is really good and its right in the back of the hotel the pool was small but verynice and the toasted monkey its very good too, the rooms and the hotel needs a little of remodeling , and a more modern touch , also the parking if you have more than one car per room its an issue , we had 3 cars and only 2 rooms and we spent the whole morning of one of the days trying to resolve the parking issue, it wasnt very nice and disappointing . The staff was friendly and helpfull .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Greetings, Leo L. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am happy to hear that you had a great time while staying with us. Our vast white sandy beaches are beautiful and being located directly on the Gulf of Mexico can make for some gorgeous sunsets! I'd like to apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced with parking. However, it is one parking pass per room and we go to great lengths to ensure that our guests are aware of this prior to their arrival. In regards to our rooms needing a more modern touch I'm very pleased to inform you that we will be updating some of our guest rooms this fall!

Again, thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to our area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
atl
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We got a great price on a Gulf front room with two queen beds for myself and two kids. The balcony was very very narrow and that was the only thing I didn't like about the room. Very convenient to have the car parked in the lot between the room and the beach so we could drop things off. Front desk clerks were polite. Cleaning service didnt come until three or four each day and that is a little inconvenient. Hotel kind of set back farther from the beach than what we are used to in Myrtle Beach but from what I saw they all seemed to be that way. My kids didn't enjoy the beach as much as we do the Atlantic because there aren't many waves. We did see a lot of sea life though. I also recommend taking the Shell Key Shuttle down the street. If we come back to St Pete I will stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jenne-25
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Greetings, Jenne-25. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm happy to hear that you obviously enjoyed yourself while with us and will return in the future. Being located directly on the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach is only one of the reasons that our property can't be beat! I'm sorry to read that your room didn't get serviced until late in the day. On your next visit, feel free to contact the front desk as you leave for the day and we will have housekeeping come and service your room once you've left.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Here now. Ad says Gulf view from your room! Of course I don't have one. Customer service is weak. They didn't care about anything but checking you in. No Continental Breakfast. The Monkey at the beach was nice. Rooms need to be modernized. If you're with kids it's o.k. Anything else look elsewhere!

Room Tip: If you want a Gulf View PLEASE verify before wasting your money. They will give you whatever they ha...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chuckf608
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear chuckf608. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry to read that you experienced so many issues with the type of room you reserved. Unfortunately, when booking through a 3rd party site versus the hotel directly this will sometimes happen. I wish there could have been something we could have done to accommodate you, however our hands are tied if you haven't booked directly through the hotel or Howard Johnsons. Also, we do not provide a "continental" breakfast because we have a restaurant the "Toasted Monkey" on site that opens daily at 7 am that servers a variety of economical breakfast items.

Again, thank you for sharing your opinion. I hope that the next time your travels bring you to our area you will give us another chance.

Travelers are raving about these St. Pete Beach hotels

St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Every May we have our mini family reunion at this hotel. You can't beat the deal. The Toasted Monkey bar out back and restaurant out front are GREAT. The pool is fine with shufflboard. Could use more shady areas to camp out. We always travel with our family, and now 18 month old daughter. We love this hotel!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for the efficiency type room to get a full sized fridge and kitchen. Totally...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Greetings, g8rgirl4. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. I'm very happy to hear that both you and your family enjoyed yourself while with us. There is no better compliment than that of a return guest, and I'd like to thank you for your continued patronage. I will take your suggestion about needing more shade on the pool deck under advisement, as guest satisfaction is always #1!

Again, thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach. We look forward to seeing you again next May for you next family reunion.
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed 2 nights June 26-28. This hotel is right on the beach, and had a fantastic Tiki Bar called the Toasted Monkey. Great food, great drinks, fantastic staff. We had a fabulous dinner with live music overlooking the gulf, and the service was exceptional! The pool was nice and clean, very warm. The bar can get rowdy at night, but security keeps everything in line. Had no problem letting my kids swim late night. Volleyball courts were nice, beach was perfect. Luckily we were not in the room except to sleep or shower. Our room was somewhat shabby. There was some strange substance running down the wall by the bathroom that looked like vomit, and there was a weird smell to the room. Bathroom was, well.....lets just say my 10 year old refused to shower. Beds were comfortable though, and AC worked well. LIsten, this is a budget friendly option for staying in Saint Petes Beach, but don't expect great quality rooms. We will be back to Saint Pete's beach, but not the HoJo!

1 Thank Kelly F
Dear Kelly F. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed the many beautiful sights of St. Pete Beach. Being located directly on the Gulf of Mexico and in the heart of St. Pete Beach is only one of the reasons that our property can't be beat. Our goal is to provide our guests with a comfortable and clean room and we obviously fell somewhat short with your reservation. For that I'd like to apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced while with us.

Again, thank you for writing your review. I hope that the next time your travels bring you to our area you will give us another chance!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have never left a review before, but after staying here I felt that I had to warn others. Don't be fooled by the name of this hotel. It is definitely not a resort! We recently stayed here for a week. We stayed in one of the rooms which had 3 queen beds. It was dirty, very loud and in desperate need of repairs and updating. The beds were literally sunken in with a large ditch in the middle which was visible as soon as we walked into the room. There were 2 sinks in the room which were both old, cracked and dirty looking. There were huge spots on the ceiling which had water damage that wasn't even painted. The walls are paper thin. You can definitely hear your neighbors conversations. There were many loud people roaming the halls late at night. It seems like a party hotel. There was a large gap under the main door which allowed a lot of sound and light to come in. You definitely won't be able to get much sleep if you stay here. After the first very loud night there we looked at changing hotels, but couldn't find any vacancies that offered 3 beds on such short notice. The housekeeping is a joke. The floors were so filthy that one walk through the room and your feet or socks were black. The floors felt so disgusting that we had to keep shoes next to the bed so we could put them on in the middle of the night just to use the restroom. The housekeeping staff wasn't friendly either. When they saw us in the halls they never acknowledged us and never said "good morning" or anything. They were also quite loud and not very professional. Several of the days we were there we would be gone to the beach from about 10:00am until 5:00pm. When we got back to our room to shower, housekeeping hadn't even been to our room and we had no clean towels to shower with. The only positive was the beach. The beach is beautiful. There are cabanas for rent right behind the hotel on the beach. There are a lot of rentals right on the beach within walking distance. The hotel restaurant was quite good with large portions of food and good prices. We ate there many times and the service there was great. Expedia.com calls this a 3 star hotel. This is definitely not a 3 star. I would actually call this a 1 star. I have stayed in a lot of hotels in my lifetime and I have never been in one as terrible and gross as this one. We traveled from the west coast for this vacation. I would definitely go to St. Pete Beach again, but there is no way I would ever go back to this hotel. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, try staying somewhere else.

3 Thank Nya543
Gloucester, Virginia
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Excellent price as compared to others in the area hotel the majority of the hotel rooms do not overlook the beach but there is direct access as advertised. Check in was easy I did arrive early and couldn't get a pass for parking until 11:00 but went to eat next door at the toasted Monkey catchy name excellent breakfast. The room was very comfortable no issues comfortable bed. Had dinner again nest door again excellent food. Only complaint during our stay were the drunks in the parking lot noise echo's through the sliding door. Will definitely stay here again if I am back in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get towards the top floor if you are looking for quiet if not party on the first patio leads...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mina P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Greetings, William W. The Howard Johnson St. Pete Beach would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself while with us. Providing our guests with a clean and comfortable room is always our goal and I am very happy to read that we met our mark with your reservation.

In regards to the issue you experienced with "drunks" in the parking lot, I'd like to offer my sincerest apologies. However, we have security on site 7 days a week to ensure not only the safety of our guests but the comfort as well. When you stay with us in the future I'd like to recommend that you call down to the front desk if you have any form of issue or noise complaint as they can send security immediately.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to our area.