“Toss up between the Bates Motel & Roach Coach Inn”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Melbourne, FL
“Toss up between the Bates Motel & Roach Coach Inn”
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Warning: Do not stay at this Howard Johnson, St. Pete, FL:

I made reservations directly with the hotel for two oceanfront rooms. I was told the rooms we selected were recently remodeled. So when we arrived at the hotel in St. Pete for a wedding on 08/08/08 we were expecting a beautiful resort. We checked in at 2:30 PM and found the check-in and front desk staff experience was satisfactory.

We visited the Tiki Bar and pool area then off to the wedding at 3:45 PM. The pool and surrounding areas appeared to need extensive clean-up, paint and repair to fencing/gates. There was some debris and trash around the area. The Tiki Bar was dirty inside but the bartender was friendly an attentive. The lounge chairs were abundant.

Our rooms were located on the second floor; entering the building through automatic sliding doors we noticed the tile flooring was wet and had standing water next to the elevator. Evidence of mildew was in the carpet and walls.

After returning from our wedding we stopped in to Rick-T's for a late dinner. The service was quite good and the food was acceptable. It was nice to the see the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics on the many TV monitors.

We were up early Saturday so for the first time we noticed the condition of our rooms since we had really only spent a short time before the wedding.

The rooms assigned to us (226 & 227) were in dire need of cleaning. The tile floors were dusty and full of dirt. In room 227 there was hair wrapped around the shampoo bottle (it was not used since we brought our own). Beer caps were under the sink and the towels had many stains in both rooms.

The bathroom in Room 226 had pubic hair on the floor and there is a water leak by the toilet. The top sheet on our bed had a light red stain. But to see live German roaches that were living in the "new" shower curtain and around the microwave (no we had used it either) was disgusting.

At that point we called the Front Desk at 8:30 AM. We explained the issues with the room, the lack of cleaning and finding the live roaches. We requested that Maintenance and Housekeeping come to our room to view the issues and verify our complaints. They appeared at our room (226) and verified the German roaches were in deed in the room.

Comments from the staff:
"How long are you staying” Our Answer: We are leaving in 10 minutes.
"Yes, I can see the roaches"
"I guess we need to take this room out of the loop"

The maintenance man and housekeeping woman left the room agreeing there were issues. We vacated the rooms and went directly to the Front Desk at about 8:45 AM.

"Sandy" at the Front Desk asked about our stay, we explained again the situation with our room and the roaches. She was aware of the situation since she had taken our first call.

"Sandy" asked if we would use the credit card we provided and we said no. We asked to speak to the manager. She said she was not able to make any adjustment but the manager would be in 10-15 minutes. So we waited, walking outside then back inside 5 minutes later.

“Sandy” said “this is Florida and we have bugs”. We live on the east coast of Florida and we do not have bugs or roaches. I have been in the business for 20+ years and there is no reason to have German roaches.

At this point 'Sandy" said and I quote "the manager was not coming to the hotel, not in town, not in the state and was out of the country".

She then said "your credit card will be charged, you are not longer welcome on this property, please leave".

We asked for a receipt and at first Sandy said "no" and then she created one for each room without making any adjustments.

We should not have been subjected to this type of rude behavior from anyone let alone someone from the hospitality industry.

Bottom line; this is a very poorly maintained hotel that carries a brand name of Howard Johnson and should have that standard. The staff is extremely unprofessional. This hotel should be rated very unacceptable and we would not recommend that anyone stay at this location ever!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — German Roaches
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank RLCFNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Missouri
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed for 9 wonderful days. It was one of the best experiences we've had in years. We stayed at this Howard Johnsons for 4 days in 2005 and it was so good, we booked and stayed again for 9 days in July 2008. From the moment we arrived and were greeted by the desk receptionist till we checked out, we found ALL the staff friendly, helpful, extremely courteous and very efficient. Service by housekeeping was excellent every day. Parking is free accessed by room key and we were issued a tag / permit for our car. Motel security patroled the parking area and grounds and checked for cars without a permit. The motel was sold out the weekend of the 4th bur we had no problem parking, or using the pool, restaurant, and beach bar. We had a gulf view room which I would highly recommend. The pool was clean and well maintained, it's only a few steps to the beach and gulf. We ate at several area restaurants and had excellent meals each time. Ricky T's and Ricky T's Beach Bar are a must visit for anyone staying here. The beach bar has live entertainment every night that was excellent each night. The rates are extremely reasonable for the facility compared to other resorts and motels in the area. We will return later this year or next with no qualms about staying there. We travel frequently and stay in motels or resorts 30 to 35 days each year and I would rate this facility one of the best if not the best in recent memory. They do not offer a continental breakfast, but we had a room with kitchen so that was not an issue and Ricky T's (in the building) serves an excellent breakfast as well as great food for lunch and dinner or room service. We watched dolphins in the gulf from our room's balcony as well as the many seagulls, pelicans, egrets, ibis, heron and green parakeets. We sat on our balcony and watched the fireworks on the beach the night of the 4th. That was spectacular.

• Liked — Staff and Service was excellent
  • Disliked — Elevator at times took a long time to arrive due to volume of use
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We began looking for a hotel somewhere between Clearwater and Treasure Island just a couple of weeks prior to the 4th of July holiday wkend. Prices were much higher than usual, and many places - even Mom and Pop type places - were already full. My sister and her friend (they live in Tampa) went over to check out a few places where I had found w/availability. Although this HOJO seemed a bit overpriced for it's rating, based on the friendliness of the staff and clean pool, and the fact that we could get 3 oceanfront rooms on the same floor, we booked there.

Although we arrived a bit early on the 3rd, we were able to get into the rooms. (This was lucky as I'd just heard the clerks tell another customer that their's was not yet ready.) The people at the desk (and there were about 3 ladies. It was busy.) were all very friendly. (I had to get a new room key one night around midnight and the young man minding the desk that night was nice as well.) The rooms were clean and all had a recliner in them. The flat sreen t.v.s are all the rage now, I know, but frankly you can't swivel them or anything. I think our rooms were some of the recenty redone ones and had these t.v.s . This inability to swivel them made viewing them a bit tough for those not directly in front of them, but this was not a problem because who really goes to the beach to watch t.v.?! Overall, the rooms were fine. One of them had a recliner that had damaged fabric on the seat, and that room had a few other dings and dirt marks in it, but nothing serious at all. Tip: DON'T let your room key get near your cell phone if you stay here. Our's kept having to be replaced for this reason!!!

Now for some info. that you should consider if you are thinking of staying here: There is a beach bar called Ricky T's placed only a few feet from the pool. During the day you could order food and it would be brought out to that bar from the restaurant of the same name in the front part of the hotel. Service both inside the beach bar and outside of it was a bit sketchy and could take a long while. There was always LOUD music blasting out of it, as wekk as LOUD customers, and if you happen to grab one of the palapa tables near the bar (last ones chosen), be prepared! At night the bar had live music and this went on 2 of the 3 nts. we stayed until 1 a.m. The 5th they played until 1:30 or 2:00 a.m. Yes, you can't help but hear it if you are in a beachfront room, and I imagine any rooms near that end of the hotel.even if it was not beachfront. Now, I like active type areas, but thank goodness I am a late to bed person. No way could I have gotten to sleep before the band stopped! Although there seemed to be soundproofing between the walls of adjacent rooms, this noise kept some in our group awake. Also, some people at ground floor level kept a tarp up just outside their room the entire time we were there. There seemed to be quite a few people associated w/that group. There was usually always a group sitting around under it in chairs, drinking, eating, etc. The bad part was at night sometimes they tended to get VERY loud. Our last nt. (July 5 - a Sat.) I was out on the balcony 4 floors above them and wondered why the hotel let them party so loudly. Then a few min. later 2 cops walked over from the bar area and asked them to tone it down. . . . Added to all of this was the band at the hotel next door! They, too, had a beach bar with a wooden walkway to it from the beach. There seemed to be a bit of a duel at times regard which beach bar had the loudest music! This could get a bit irritating. Yet w/all of this, I can't say it was as bad as I'd probably think if I were the one reading this review! I guess just because I waited to hit the sack until AFTER all the music stopped, it didn't affect me that much. Still, I just think it was very inappropriate and inconsiderate to their guests. This would have to be my one big complaint about this hotel.

The beach was fine and quite active w/families enjoying the area. We saw a number of firework displays from the beach just beyond the beach bar and hotel grounds. The hotel next door (Tradewinds Grand?) shot some off, and there seemed to be many private displays as well as public ones up and down the beach.

There were numerous places to eat ,and convenience stores in the area, w/a Publix grocery store across the street just about 1 or 2 blocks away.

An interesting feature of the hotel was they had a parking lot that required guests to swipe their roomkey card in order to gain access to it. This helped, no doubt, to keep regular beachgoers from using the spaces. It seemed to work pretty well, though some cars did get through somehow - someway.

To sum things up, would we stay there again? Yes, probably, but Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes, but w/warnings about the beach bar!

Stayed July 2008
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2008

We spent last weekend in St. Pete Beach at the Howard Johnson Resort Hotel. We arrived very late, but I had made it clear that we would be a late arrival. Our keys were set aside for us when we arrived. The gentleman who I'd made the reservations with at the property had already checked us in when we arrived. The location of the property is very nice. Just a quick walk, and you're on the beach. The Howard Johnson has a prime location and sits between some of the larger resort hotels. We had a King room with an ocean view. Only issue we had during the weekend was some water dripping from a crack in the ceiling. After I alerted the front desk, and maintenace was sent up to take a look, we were moved to another room down the hall. Definitely and upgrade......2 bedroom suite! Overall, the hotel was fairly decent. Both days, we had breakfast at skidder's, which is within walking distance from the hotel. Great food, and great price. We would visit the hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank buddhabrown
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I just returned from my 3 night stay in St. Pete Beach where we stayed at the Howard Johnson. We were planning all along to stay in Clearwater, but after doing quite a bit of research I found most of the hotels in that are are ocean-front but not beach front.

That is totally opposite of what the Howard Johnson's at St. Pete Beach is. Walk out your hotel door...a few steps down the sidewalk and you're slipping your feet into the sand!!!
This hotel is in a GREAT location and highly exceeded all of my expectations!

When we arrived (around 1:30p -- check-in at 3p) we were greeted by the friendly staff and given the keys to our 4th floor room (which did overlook the hotel next door and the parking lot, however also had a nice view of the gulf as well). The hotel offers a realxing pool area -- large deck, plenty of shaded and lounge chairs. We enjoyed ourselves at the Beach bar where there was live entertainment throughout the day and the restaurant next door has great food which is reasonably priced. The beachfront area is very nice and there are lounge chairs available to rent for the day. The parking lot is also gated so you don't have to worry about finding a spot.

In my opinion I didn't see any set backs to staying at the Howard Johnson. We got a great deal and really enjoyed ourselves. If I ever return back to St. Pete Beach I will seriously consider staying here again!

• Liked — Great Vailue for beach front accomodations!!
  • Disliked — The Wi-Fi was extremely slow at times
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank beac73
Tampa, FL
Reviewed May 28, 2008

I have stayed at the HOJO on st. pete beach twice now. The first time the stay was shorter and I spent less time in the room so I didn't really have much of an opinion. This month I stayed in a gulf front room for a weekend and I am not quite sure if I will go back or not.

Upsides: The price is reasonable compared to other gulf front rooms along the beach and the people at the desk are very friendly and were helpful for whatever questions I had. I also enjoyed the fact that they do have gulf front balcony rooms, rather than a "gulf view" which is really a parking lot view but if you stick your head out far enough on a balcony you can see the gulf of mexico. No. This is a gulf front, well actually pool front room but you can see the Gulf.

The downsides were the following: 1) the AC unit was a mess as are a number of these motels along the beach that don't upgrade to a real AC unit and you always feel you are breathing in mold on a nightly basis, 2) the cleaning crew or management could just try to make hotel feel a little less "dingy," it just has that gross motel feeling sometimes when you touch a towel or lay down in the bed, 3) LATE CHECK OUT= nonexistent. Most places I have stayed at have at least given you a 1 hour late checkout, does the HOJO? Nope. They stated that they would charge you a 1/2 day fee if you check out late. That is not customer service in my book. Sometimes it is just that little extra that makes a person's stay a good experience.

So overall...I guess I will try it again to see if I think the upsides outweigh the downsides.

• Liked — Gulf Front rooms with a balcony for a decent price
  • Disliked — NO LATE CHECK OUT and just the cleanliness needs to be worked on
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Dunedin Florida
Reviewed May 18, 2008

I was apprehensive about this hotel after reading some reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. Our room #421 was clean, recently updated and even had a new plasma TV. The beach in St. Pete is beautiful and this Howard Johnson is right next to much more expensive hotels. The staff were very pleasant to deal with and seemed to enjoy working there.

You could see the beach from our balcony which also overlooked the parking lot. The pool was large and clean and Ricky T's Beach bar which had low priced drinks compared to most of the pricey hotels nearby.

I would definitely go there again.

• Liked — The beds were very comfortable. The pillows were heavenly too.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business