“Pretty standard but there are better places.”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Orlando, Florida
“Pretty standard but there are better places.”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

we took an impromptu trip so we didn't do much research. The desk staff was very prompt and helpful.... The parking attendants threatened to tow us constantly while we were waiting for our room to be ready which was annoying. The room was outdated but it was nice to have a porch. The volleyball area and pool was cute and lively. I was very disappointed when the bar downstairs stopped selling food at 11pm and the bar closed at 12:30 which is very early on a summer saturday. They told us that all the bars in the area would be closing.... come to find out, only the bar at the howard johnson closed early so we had to walk elsewhere. Next visit, we will be doing more price research and staying at a place that is open late. Also, I guess it is par for the course but there were a lot of drunks outside screaming late at night and motorcylists up at the crack of dawn which made sleeping there terrible. There are better options out there with more activities offered.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Robin N, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding the efficiency of the front desk staff. I will be happy to share you gracious comments with them. I apologize that the restaurant and bar closed sooner than you would like. I apologize for any inconvenience that this caused you. Parking at the beach is a challenge. I apologize that the parking attendants were rude with you. I will be sure to pass this information on to the appropriate individuals.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 22, 2013

What can I say? We (family of 3) stayed in this hotel for four days and weren't pleased. The guests (from Friday to Sunday) were loud, inconsiderate, drunk and kind of gross. I mean, someone vomited inside the elevator and down the hallway so our floor smelled like puke for about a day and half (though, thankfully, we didn't actually *see* any vomit). Unfortunately, I'd say that because of the guests, this hotel isn't family friendly.
Aside from that, the hotel was in need of a bit of sprucing up. I would not sit on the carpets or walk barefoot, if I were you. And I actually wore my flipflops in the shower too. These are minor adjustments that I have never had a problem making, but you might feel differently.
Note: there's a sign on the kitchen cabinets that state that it is the guests' responsibility to clean the kitchen. If you get there and your kitchen's dirty, don't blame the housekeeping! Blame the previous guests.
Speaking of the housekeeping, they were all very nice and obviously tired from their work. They were, however, lacking basic supplies, such as towels (so those weren't replaced every day).
Aside from housekeeping and the parking lot staff, the rest were rude and unhelpful. Wouldn't recommend interaction.
Second note: in my opinion, this hotel might be nice during the week. Since our last day in the room was monday, we got to witness the change in atmosphere as all the puking-drinking-loud guests checked out. Once they were gone, the hotel became quiet and actually started to smell nice. Plus, the beach (which is right outside the hotel) became less crowded.
Third note: don't turn off the AC in your room! If you turn it off, the room will immediately get extremely humid (this is Florida, what do you expect?) and it can be unpleasant.
Fourth note: you need your room key to get into the building after a certain hour, which I totally liked. It somehow made things feel safer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I apologize for the misbehavior of some of our guests during your visit. Unfortunately, there are times when some of our guests are not as gracious as we all would like. We do have security on property each evening for just these instances. I will be sure to pass your information regarding your room and lack of service to the appropriate supervisors. I am unsure as to why you did not receive fresh towels each day. I will certainly investigate this so that our future guests receive fresh towels.
Powells Point, North Carolina
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We came to St. Pete Beach to start off our vacation before going on a cruise out of Tampa. We were looking for a hotel on the beach and decided on HoJo because of the cheaper price. We were expecting the room to be outdated from the reviews we read before making the reservation. What we found was a fairly clean room (I think our room was 502), cold A/C, and a nice sized room.... Bathroom fixtures, fridge, and microwave could be updated, as well as the tile in the bathroom area, but otherwise, the room was clean, had a nice view of the water on both sides (Not an oceanfront room, but could still see it from balcony), beds comfortable (linens a little thin/worn, but nothing too bad) with flat screen TV. The pool was nice, the beach just a short walk behind the hotel, and a good location to walk to several nearby restaurants. We did not try the restaurant or bar in the hotel so I can't give any feedback on that. The only disappointment I had was when we checked in, I had reserved a King room. I checked in assuming I was getting a king room, and when I opened the door to room 502, there were 2 queen beds. I called down to the reservationist and they said oh, it is because you reserved through a 3rd party website. I corrected the person saying no, I did not... I reserved through Howard Johnson directly. He then said that I was upgraded to a room with a whirlpool because of overbooking. It was no big deal, I just wish I would have been informed of that at check-in so it wasn't a surprise when we were already exhausted from a full day of driving. We didn't use the whirlpool because mostly we didn't have time to... This was a hotel that was suitable for our 2 night stay. While nothing plush and fancy, I was willing to have less amenities in the hotel itself to be right on the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad that you enjoyed your visit with us. I apologize for the miscommunication regarding your room type. I do appreciate you being very gracious regarding this. Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel. I will be sure to share your thoughts on to my staff. I hope that we will see you again.