“More comfortable and cared for than at Disney Hilton!”

Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Norristown, Pennsylvania
“More comfortable and cared for than at Disney Hilton!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was happily surprised to find that for just $7 more a night, I could stay ON the beach at this resort, rather than 2 miles away in a guest room the retirement community where my 91-year-old mother lives!

I was a bit skeptical when I saw all the comments about the "musty smell" of the rooms. We found that it was not mold in the rooms, but actually the wood inside the furniture that smelled, probably because of the type of wood. If you kept the drawers shut, there was no smell. I was happy to live out of my suitcase for a few days. The room was very clean, and bathroom in nice condition.

We LOVED having TWO SINKS, and a table with 2 chairs with FOUR heavy-duty outlets for our electronics right next to it. Two of us were able to have cell phones and laptops in use simultaneously.

The grounds and pool were beautifully landscaped, and the beach wonderful! (Be prepared to pay $25/day if you want a lovely cabana shade w/ lounge chairs.)

Tho our room #206, had only a view of the parking lot and building next door, we were fine with that to save a little money off the 25 rooms that actually face the beach. All the rooms have a balcony with chairs, so that's not a huge issue anyway.

The Hotel staff was down-home friendly and responsive. Maintenance Man Steve (I think his name was,) knocked at our door within 5 minutes of calling for a malfunctioning light fixture, and Jack at the front desk was most pleasant and helpful when we checked in. While less fancy, we were MUCH more comfortable and cared for at this Ho Jo's than we were later in the week at the Disney Hilton. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Rooms with higher middle digit are closer to beach and pool. Elevators at both ends of building.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Robin N, General Manager at Howard Johnson Resort Hotel - ST. Pete Beach FL, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind and gracious words. I will be so happy to share your comments with my staff. We work very hard to not only meet but to exceed the expectations of our guests. I am glad that you found our location on the beach convenient along with our rooms clean and our grounds well maintained. I hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Fishers
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel was terrible. When we first arrived (5am), there were no towels in our room so we called and asked for some. We had driven all night so we were very tired and went to bed, when we woke up (11am) still no towels, called again, still no towels. left the room for some breakfast, came back (130p) still no towels. Did not get towels until the next morning when the mgr delivered them
Refrig door would not close - called twice because our food was not getting cold, finally came and replaced the refrigerator.
Bathtub had water under the base which caused the tub floor to be unsteady, maintenance said nothing he could do about it
Patio door very difficult to open because track was broken.
they did reduce my bill by $42 but not enough that I would ever go back there. very run down hotel that needs fixing up. location is great

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

I am so disappointed that you experienced so many difficulties during your visit. I want everyone to enjoy their visit with us. I invite you to please feel free to call me so that we can discuss this. I definitely want to pass this information on to my housekeeping department, as well as, my maintenance department. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Travelers are raving about these St. Pete Beach hotels

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Overall I would say that our stay was great. We had family in town and we were on a budget. Other family members stayed at the other hotels on the beach that were not so budget friendly. We did not like the fact that they would not let us check in early, two hours, and told us to come back at 230. Check in was 3 p.m. Our room was clean and just what we needed for the amount of time we were going to spend there. Small issue with some noisy neighbors, but security was on it quick and did not have any problems after that. for the size of the property, the pool is very small, it gets a little crowded on the weekend with kids that want to play and jump. Overall a good experience and would recommend to friends, for price cleanliness, and convenience to the local area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words regarding our beach front property. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that we were unable to check you into your room upon arrival. We are always happy to check our guests in early if their rooms are available. I hope that we will see you again in the near future.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We only stayed one night arrived about 10:15 on a Thursday morning, parking lot was empty but were told we couldn't get a parking pass till 11:30, which was very annoying, were told if we parked in the front it was at our own risk as it was for the restaurant, this was almost empty as well...........are you kidding. We ended up going down the beach to a public lot for a couple of hours.
Room was what we expected, was clean. Hotel could use a serious update, but then it would be double the price. Towels where small and thin......but ok for just a night and you can't beat the location.

Room Tip: We upgrade to beach front for another $30 was a great view of the pool/beach on the 4th floor. North...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry that you were not able to park on property upon your arrival. Due to our high occupancy we normally have to wait until about 11:30 in order to allow some guests to leave to open up parking spaces. This apparently was not the case with you and my front desk may not have realized that rules do not apply to every situation. I have spoken with my front desk to help them to understand this. I apologize for the inconvenience that this created during your visit. I do hope that the rest of your visit with us made up for that situation.