“Nice Hotel, Nice Service, Tiny Rooms”
Review of The Don CeSar

The Don CeSar
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Red Bank, New Jersey
“Nice Hotel, Nice Service, Tiny Rooms”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My finance and I booked 5 nights, June 27th-July 1st. Hotel was recommended by a friend who lives in the area.
Pros: Every staff member we met was friendly and professional. The hotel itself is beautiful, very clean. Our room was cleaned and restocked each day. Towels fluffy and plush. Bed very comfortable, nice linens. Lots of lounge chairs around the pool area. Two pools, not terribly large, but adequate. Decent outdoor towels provided. Iced water with fruit available in pool area. We had dinner one night at the fine dining Maritana Restaurant, which was fantastic. Other, less formal restaurants and poolside fare were tasty and what you would expect at a hotel like this. I had a facial at the spa one afternoon which I really enjoyed.
Cons: The room was unbearably small. We had a king room, 4th floor, partial gulf view. Two people can not function comfortably in these rooms. Bathroom was tiny, shower/tub slippery and dangerous (even with the rubber mat they provide) and didn't drain properly. No balcony, in fact, very few rooms have any balcony. It's just the way the hotel was built. We tried to change to a suite but the hotel was sold out of all rooms due to weddings going on over the weekend. The beach chair rental situation: $8 for a sand chair, $12 for a lounge chair, $15 per umbrella per day, and the prices go up from there. I have never been to a hotel that bills itself as luxury but makes you buy a chair to sit on the beach (but pool lounges are free). Cabanas and premium beach services I can see charging for, but a chair? There were way less guests on the beach then there should have been, but the pool was packed. I can only assume no one wanted to pay these stupid fees.
The bottom line:
We checked out 2 nights early because the weather turned terrible. If you can't enjoy the outside there's no point in staying here. A sold out hotel during a 2 day downpour just would have been too claustrophobic. Otherwise, if you can handle the cramped rooms, I would recommend this hotel for a short stay.

Room Tip: If you want any kind of space book a suite.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bonefish25,

Thank you for reviewing your recent trip to the Don CeSar!

I'm so glad you had a great time at our restaurants, pools, and with the team members you encountered. It sounds as though they really made an impact on your stay!

I do wish we had some of our suites available during your stay so you could have enjoyed a more spacious accommodation. We have some beautiful layouts and our guests really enjoy them. Hopefully on your next visit we can assist in booking one of them for you. Hopefully sooner than later!

Thank you again for your review, please let us know if we can be of any assistance!

Daniel Walsh, VIP Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
florida
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We had planned a trip to the Safety Harbor Spa (which we'd been to happily many years ago), but changed our plans at the last minute because of the many negative comments on TripAdvisor about that facility. Couldn't have been much worse than "The Don". Tiny, claustrophobic rooms. Do not book a "grand" room, because the view of the gulf is obscured by the wings of the hotel which block all but a direct, limited view. And boy, are those rooms small. How small are the bathrooms? You hit your head on the sink when you sit down on the toilet. We changed rooms and made the best of the situation. I recommend room 474. It is a wee bit larger, is on the end nearest the beach and has windows on 2 sides for better light and a better view. Everything is a la carte. Your $25 daily resort fee just gets you entrance to the fitness center. The staff failed to refill the in room coffee or the "2 bottles of water/day" that are supposed to be included in the resort fee. The restaurant food was mediocre, overpriced and was accompanied by bad service. We were told by a waitress that the hotel won't hire full time wait staff and that they are chronically understaffed. And if you decide to leave early because you've had enough, they tack on a 1 day room charge for an "early departure fee." Sure it is directly on the beach and has programs for children, but there must be many places that provide greater value. Stay away.

Room Tip: 474 is best value "luxury" room. Must be as high as possible for any kind of view because...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank planningpro
Dear planningpro,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent visit to the Don CeSar. It is clear from your review there were a number of inconsistencies in service during your stay. I assure you this is not typical of our property and certainly not the level of service we expect from our team members. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and we will certainly address them with our teams.

As for the rooms, due to our historic nature we do have some smaller rooms than what you will find on average at newer properties. I do agree 474 is a great room, offering beautiful views of the gulf and overlooking our wedding courtyard, pool, and spa. In addition to 474 we have a number of great rooms that not only provide great views, but also have some added space due to the intricate layout of the hotel. If you are planning a trip back to the area, I would love to assist in booking one of these great rooms with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist.

Thank you again for your review, we hope to have you visit us again soon!

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Beautiful historic building with loads of history. Rumored to have some haunted rooms too. Definitely check fir Florida resident or AAA discount. Nice place for a few day get away with some R&R.
The bars at hotel close up too early.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Scott S,

Thank you for your review!

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time during your recent trip to the Don CeSar. It sounds as though you really appreciated the beautiful architecture, history, and were able to truly unwind.

I have also heard the rumors about some haunted rooms. Lucky for me I have not had the opportunity to experience anything, however, I'm sure if you contacted or stopped by the Concierge desk they would be able to find some stories to entertain you! At the very least you can find out the wonderful love story surrounding the Don CeSar!

We hope to see you again soon!

Best,

Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel and the staff servicing it were beyond my expectations. The decor was clean and contemporary but with the grace and beauty of old-world. The beach setting was perfect and the staff were exceptional, each and every one. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept on in a hotel and I have experienced more hotels than I care to remember. The spa was the only facility that I was able to use during my very short visit but it was wonderful too. The manicurist was running half an hour late and so they charged half the cost as this is what good business folks do. Staff should be empowered to make those decisions when it is really going to make a difference. And it did! I would recommend this hotel to everyone for pleasure, business, a romantic getaway, whatever!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool/beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Katherine K
Dear Katherine K,

What a wonderful review!

Thank you so much for sharing your great experiences at our Spa, room accommodations, and (most importantly) our team members! It is clear you had a wonderful time, hopefully you will come back and visit us again very soon!

Thank you again for taking the time to post your experiences on Trip Advisor!

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We have been to the Don many times, and enjoy our stay everytime. Great location, beautiful beach and amenities! The staff is very professional and knowledgeable about the Hotel. The amenities are fabulous, rooms are very nice, first class hotel. The history of the hotel gives it even more character. Ocean view can't be beat!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sean7Celine,

Thank you for being such a loyal guest to the Don CeSar! I'm glad to hear about our guests who come back year after year and continue to enjoy the great amenities and service we consistently provide.

Thank you for being such great guests and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisorl. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to continue making your stays more special!

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I grew up in St. Pete and have always wanted to stay at the Don CeSar, and I finally had the opportunity. It is not at all what I expected for a supposed top-notch hotel. The room was supposed to be a great gulf view, but looking directly out of our window we see the other wing of the hotel, not the beach. A gulf view is possible from the bed near the window, however. The room was smaller than an average hotel room, as was the bathroom. And if you decide to stay, bring plenty of money, as nothing is reasonably priced here. I've stayed at Virginia Beach at regular hotels with a much better bang for your buck and with fantastic views, and will be going there instead next time!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank bajack
Tampa
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Don Cesar...First stay Summer 2011, Second stay Summer 2012.
First Room was superior w/ pool and ocean view from 3rd floor.
Second Room was just as plush, but with partial ocean view. Book early and get the full ocean/pool view...WELL WORTH IT! Everything was top notch! Both times the rooms were very clean, bright, well stocked, and the staff was very friendly, accommodating, and very helpful in recommending Non-touristy fine dining establishments.
We will stay at the Don at least once a year!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andromeda S
DanielWalsh, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Andromeda S,

Thank you for your review about your recent trip to the Don CeSar!

I'm glad we were able to assist in making your Anniversary truly memorable and thank you for sharing such a wonderful occasion with us. It sounds as though the hotel amenities, rooms, and team were all able to come together and really make a great impact!

Wishing you nothing but the best, we will look forward to your next annual trip!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
Sirata Beach Resort
Sirata Beach Resort
#14 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to The Don CeSar? Share your experiences!