“Nickel and Dime Friendly Sunshine”
Review of The Don CeSar

The Don CeSar
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We travel to the finest hotels in the world- Hotel du Cap Eden Roc, Splendido, Ritz Paris, etc. We are not used to nickel and diming. However, that appears to be the Loews way- resort fee, per page charge for use of printer, etc. It is truly annoying. If you are charging for use of the pool, fitness center etc (even if you don't use it) why not have an upcharge for things you do use- a bed charge, a tv charge, an a/c charge, etc! In and of itself, the nickel and diming is a great incentive to never come back. However, the staff were so friendly, the location, amenities and food were so good, that they overcame the corporate miser mentality.
The shell of the hotel is old and beautiful, but the guts are modern. We had a suite with a balcony overlooking the ocean and pool. It had a great view with a nice sea breeze. The rooms were pedestrian but functional. Hyatt level. The living room had a comfortable couch and chairs and a large tv. The bed was comfortable but the pillow left something to be desired. The bathroom was small but had 2 sinks and a bathtub with a shower with decent water pressure and heat. The workout facility was excellent. There are 2 pools with a outdoor restaurant between them. The staff was super friendly and accomodating. There is also another restaurant next to the pool area. The food was very good for a pool. The prices were reasonable. There were musicians playing live music at the pool. The pool area leads out to a beautiful and pristine white sand beach. The sand stays cool even tho the temperature is in the 80's. The Gulf water was warm and clean. The upscale restaurant is mainly fish. The food was fine and the service friendly. There is a bar inside with live music on the weekends. There are a nice set of clothing and sundry stores located in the hotel. Also, there is a ice cream restaurant that has Starbucks coffee and fresh bagels/pastires if you don't want to eat at the restaurant. Another plus is that this is not a mega hotel with thousands of rooms and guests. It is reasonably sized. This is a nice hotel for families if you can get by the corporate nickel and diming.

Room Tip: Don't get the "bay" View- it is really a view of the parking lots. Do get a room on t...
3  Thank cbreezedad
DanielWalsh, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear cbreezedad,

We truly appreciate your feedback and for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor. Your review was very informative and also very thorough. Thank you for taking the time to discuss so many features of the property, including the rooms, restaurants, lounges, and of course the staff and service levels. The team members are the ones that make the biggest difference!

Thank you again for taking the time to post your review, we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

There are newer reviews for The Don CeSar

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We recently stayed at the Don for a combined business/pleasure trip. We found the hotel to be very beautiful. The beach and pool area would rival any island resort. The rooms are small but very clean. Since the hotel itself dates back to the 1920's, we were not surprised by the smaller rooms. What we were dissappointed in were the very expensive beverage charges; $4 for a coffee and $12 for a premium drink. The hotel also charges a $22.00 per day resort fee which gives you newspapaer, health club access, internet and pool pampering. This includes a pool staff that sets up your lounge chair with a cover and towel...nothing more. I agree with a previous oster that chairs are hard to come by in the peak hours. Security and enforcement of the requirement of being a hotel guest was non-existent. We witnessed several groups of younger adults at the pool each day with their own towels and coolers. They would grab chairs that were in prior use and simply use the facility. In fact, I had a brand new pair of $50 sandals "disappear" on the very first day that we arrived. I canot prove anything but suspect that it was a group of these uninvited guests who were next to us that day. I mentioned this each day to security while checking lost and found with little reaction. Upon checkout I received nothing more than a stale "sorry" from the clerk. You would expect that for a resort to be exclusive and to charge guests the $22, they would do more to maintain "exclusivity". We are not sure if we will be back.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a "partial view" of the gulf room. These offer a very nice view yet are...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim K

Dear Jim K,

Thank you for sharing your experiences from your recent trip to the Loews Don CeSar. We will certainly look for ways to improve our pool security and ensure only our registered guests are using those facilities. If you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me directly, I will be happy to help in any way I am able.

Thank you again for your feedback and review, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Was here one night for business. Room was great and the view of the Gulf was spectacular. The staff got me in a ready room and I was able to explore a bit before the evening work event. I will definitely be bringing my family here to enjoy this beautiful property.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
DanielWalsh, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Becox87,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor!

I'm glad you had a great time and were able to sneak in some time to explore prior to your event. We will certainly look forward to your next visit with your family!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

The exterior architecture is very nice and stands out on the St. Pete Strip. The rooms are small and it did seem like everything was an extra cost The pools were nice but crowded. The pool staff helped find chairs but if you want a prime spot you need to get there early. We ended up having chairs at the pool so we did not pay additional for "beach chairs". Seeing how there was a resort fee, it did seem tacky for the hotel to charge extra for beach chairs.

The pool side service was good, as well as breakfast service. We were there for a wedding (which was held offsite with a dinner at Don CeSar. The meal was excellent (Snapper).

If we go to St. Pete again I don't see us staying there. For a family of 4 a single room is just too small for a beach get away.

Dear Anderw G,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Don CeSar!

It's great to hear you enjoyed the two pools on property, the fabulous cuisine, and the beautiful architecture of our historic property. The "Pink Palace" certainly stands out in the area! We want you to be comfortable with your family and we do have a number of suites available on property if additional space is needed. I'm confident we can find the perfect space for you and your family to enjoy if you are planning a trip back to the area!

Thank you again for your review, we will look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My daughter and I planned a long weekend trip to celebrate her 16th birthday. It was very important for us to have a room with two beds. I booked a deluxe room with two full beds directly on their website over a month in advance. I had a confirmation email guaranteeing me the room and the room type. When we arrived at The Don Cesar to check in, we were told we would be getting a "free upgrade" for one night to a suite then be moved to our reserved room for the next two remaining night. I told them I was not interested in having to move rooms and I just wanted the room I had reserved. After a very long conversation, I was told they didn't have any rooms with two beds available for my first nights stay. I argued with them, and told them my room was confirmed and the room type was guaranteed. They agreed it was indeed confirmed and room type guaranteed, but "there was nothing they could do because they had booked all rooms with two double bed"...they were sorry, it was an oversight, etc. So to make a very long story short, they gave us the suite (with only one bed, but had a sofa) then forced us to move to the other room for the next two nights....they would not allow us to stay in the suite because "it was already reserved by someone else"??? Really? Like my room had been reserved by me, but no one kicked anybody out of that room, simply because I had reserved it. I also was told I would get $80 off per night, which the manager rescinded the next day (after I had moved rooms). He was very apologetic and gave us some free spa services, which was nice, but the whole ordeal took over 24 hours to deal with ....had to move rooms, they lost one of our bags in the process, didn't give us a discount on the rooms like they said. Never again!

Room Tip: Don't expect to receive the room you reserve!
5  Thank Workingonthebucket

Dear Workingonthebucket,

I am truly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced with your room during your stay. This is not a typical situation and we will certainly look into why it happened. If you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be happy to assist.

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience on Trip Advisor and, again, I am more than happy to help if you need any further assistance.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a business conference. When you drive up to the hotel, you go back in time. The pink lady is absolutely beautiful with so much history. The desk attendants, concierge, bar tenders, maids, and bell hops were friendly and helpful. The hotel has this wonderful aroma like flowers. I found out they spray flower scent in the vents of the hotel. The bedroom is a beautiful beach retreat with soothing colors. I saw the Gulf from my window. The beach is peaceful not crowded. Loved that. There are so many extras in this hotel. You will love it. The food was delicous!!!!! I will be coming back.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 4th floor almost the southeast corner of the hotel. We had views of the Gulf an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
DanielWalsh, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear AndeeMo,

Thank you for your kind words about your recent visit to the Don CeSar! I'm delighted all around you had a special stay, and enjoyed everything about the property from the history to the spectacular beaches to the aromas throughout the hotel. We will certainly look forward to your next visit, please let us know if we can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Amazing staff, wonderful location, tons of fun!! We had a great time. The staff was especially courteous and friendly. Beautiful old hotel with tons of great amenities. Beach was delicious. Rooms are spacious and comfortable and clean. What more could you want?

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear DOFerris,

Thank you for all the kind words about your recent visit to the Don CeSar! Although you mentioned the beautiful beach and comfortable rooms, our greatest amenity is our team and it was nice to see they made such a positive impact on your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Pete Beach
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
TradeWinds Island Grand Resort
#10 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to The Don CeSar? Share your experiences!