“One night stay- very pleased”
Review of The Don CeSar

The Don CeSar
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“One night stay- very pleased”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Booked this last minute and was very pleased with my visit. Had a less expensive room facing the parking lot but the room was still very nice- except bathroom is small and my son was disappointed that the the bathroom stopper was completely out of the drain. Luckily dad was able to fix this! Property was very nice and clean. Beach was very pretty and pools and pool area were both very nice. All the staff that I had any interaction with were very kind and professional. Self park option at $10 is nice but $22 resort fee kind of feels like a tacky add on at the end of a stay. Did not eat on site but heard the Sunday brunch was worth consideration. Would consider a return trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MH32
DanielWalsh, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear MH32,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay!

I was glad to hear that overall you had a great stay and the staff and pool areas were exceptional. Thank you for also providing feedback on other areas of your stay that did not meet your expectations. We are going to review and ensure the issues are addressed.

Your feedback helps us to improve, so thank you again for posting your experience! We hope to see you soon, let us know if we can be of any assistance.

-Daniel Walsh, VIP Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I spend one night at this older, historic hotel. The room facing the gulf was small but very clean and very comfy bed. The staff at all areas of the hotel were extremely polite, helpful and prompt. The pool area has free iced water with fruit in it, magazines to look at as you lounge by the pool, and the beach has some great unique features...a kids sandbox area with lots of sand toys provided, sand sculptures to lead you out to the beach and little amenities around the pool. Great pool bar and food at the casual restaurant was very good. I appreciated all the healthy choices on the menu. The only thing that was a bit less than par was the pizza we ordered in our room that evening. The crust was really bad...frozen I think...hard and tasteless. But all the other food was wonderful. I had read some reviews of this hotel that made me think it was outdated and not clean. That was not our experience, at all. The bathroom was very small...door almost hit the toilet when it was opened, but it was clean and was fine for one person at a time. Pillows and bed were very comfy. I see that someone mentioned sunblock was provided at the pool...did not see that but maybe the gift shop people could tell us that when we buy sunblock so we can save that expense? The beach is spectacular.

Room Tip: If a large bathroom is important to you, you might ask if there are some rooms with larger bathrooms...
Dear RKGallup,

Thank you for your review!

Although a short stay, I'm glad the team was able to leave a lasting impression and help make your time here in St. Pete Beach more enjoyable. Regardless of how long your stay is, we strive to make sure that every minute is supremely comfortable and enjoyable.

Thank you for taking the time to pot your experience, we hope to see you again soon!

Ocala, Florida
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were vacationing in Naples and wanted to stay at a nice hotel for our last night in Florida before heading to the airport the next day. I booked a One bedroom bayside suite. $425.00 for one night. When we got there it looked like the hotel would be very nice. We got to our room and I looked out for the view that I was expecting for my last day which in their ad states "Most rooms with private balcony overlooking the Intercoastal Boca Ciega Bay." Well note the word "MOST" because if you do not get one of the views of the bay you could get a view of the drive coming up to the hotel like we did. Not very picturesque and definitely not what I was expecting. I even called to find out if we had the correct room. We decided to make the best of it. We ate dinner at the hotel. There was no flavor in the food, very bland. When we got back to our room, we found out that someone had been in to turn down the bed. We had not requested this and it upset me because I had not put all of my valuables in the safe. At night when we tried to get to sleep, there was a loud banging heating/cooling vent in our suite that kept us awake. When were finally able to sleep, we were awoken at about 4:30 to the sound of vacuuming. At 4:30????? What is that all about? I did respond to the email sent to me after we returned home and filled in the review that the hotel requested stating all of these items. The response I received basically told me that if I had a Lowes savers card I would have received better services. I am glad I am not staying at any of the Lowes hotels for my trip to Orlando in March. I will be moving to Florida in a few years. I will not use these hotels for my trips before I move nor will I recommend them. The only positive was that the bartender at the lower bar was very accommodating. She was overworked for the amount of people that were in there and still kept a smile on her face.

7 Thank jimandcin907
Dear jimandcin907,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience to the property!

It sounds as though there were many areas that we fell short of your expectations during your trip to St. Pete Beach. We certainly want to make sure that our guests receive a world-class stay from start to finish here the Loews Don CeSar, and have clearly fallen short of this goal. Your feedback is very important and your experience will be discussed so similar events do not occur in the future.

I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail, please feel free to contact the hotel and ask for either myself or the manager on duty. Thank you again for posting your feedback, we hope to speak with you soon.

Merrick, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a very nice hotel but don't expect big rooms. They are quite small but clean and cozy. The bathroom was extremely small as well. The beach is its biggest asset. If u love to walk you can walk all the way down the beach to Pass-aGrille which is a very nice town. The breakfasts at the hotel were wonderful. I loved the location because u could even walk into town to buy things since the hotel for munches,etc were a little expensive. My husband and I have eaten in their specialty restaurant on many occasions and loved it. The hotel has different classes and even if u don't use them u r charged per day for them, so I would suggest taking a class. All in all I would probably stay again. It would be nice if the frozen drink bar had a happy hour which it does not. Drinks were quite expensive unless u went to the inside bar for happy hour.

Dear sheeba77,

Thank you for your review!

I'm glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the various areas of the hotel during your stay, and were also able to take advantage of our happy hour specials and fitness classes! Further, I have to agree that the relaxing beach walk to Pass-a-Grille is a must do while on property. Glad you were able to take some time to experience it!

Thank you again for your feedback, we hope to see you agian soon!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My fiancé and I spent one night getaway at this iconic hotel in a Luxury King room as a birthday gift. Having driven a few hours to the hotel (driving in USA in an excellent but unfamilar car and territory on the other side of the road from driving in our homeland!) so we were glad to be greeted at the entrance with courtesy and friendliness when offered valet parking which we accepted. Front desk and concierge were also polite and friendly in manner. I liked the nice touch of been given a signed birthday card by the staff with a gift of flower seeds to plant inside.

The bell boy/man was very informative and made us feel most welcomed. Shame we couldn't say the same for information desk (which is not the same people at reception) who when asked for information and recommendations for sights and shops and restaurants in the area within walking distance she abruptly handed me a terrible map and said there was a restaurant downstairs.

The decor was fantastic with a good blend of historic and modern. It had a relaxed, classy but not pretentious feel to the place.

The room was clean, with a light and fresh feel to it, elegantly decorated and well dseigned with facilities for such a small space - the bathroom though tiny was especially well designed with every detail of needs attended to. We were assured a great view of the beach and bay which we got though through small windows. The room was small but we weren't spending a huge amount of time in it and it had every thing we needed. Room service was excellent even in the middle of the night (after midnight) - we were unfortunate to have got from the minibar a packet of crisps that was past it's best before date which I only found out after I had opened and tasted one. This was quickly replaced with profuse apologies when I contacted room service to get another, and we were given another extra pack and not charged for these items.

We had a late lunch at the cafe downstairs outside. The waitress was friendly and efficient. The food was ok, not great and good portions (we are in US after all) and it was really nice to have glass of champagne and cocktail (which was surprisingly strong!) in the sun in a very relaxing atmosphere with a beach view. I liked that it didn't have a pretentious feel.

We then headed to the pool which also had a thatched well placed beach bar and relaxed on the sun loungers. The pool service was again fabulous, informative, friendly and attentive with towels and a variety of magazines. The setting was perfect - it wasn't busy when went but I can imagine this place would be fantastic for a pre and post dinner drink watching the sunset on the beach whilst perched at the bar soaking up the feel good happy but relaxed casual vibe. The decor really felt like you were in a somewhat tropical Bobby D Godfather movie scene...which we both liked. This part was probably the favourite for us.

I also saw pool tables nearby which would also have been good for some fun entertainment. The hotel is superbly located on the beach - too cold for us to enjoy the beach at the time, I can imagine perfect in warmer weather.

We had dinner at the hotel's Maritianna Grill - the setting and atmosphere was more upmarket than the cafe classy but not snobby, again it wasn't busy so intimate enough for a romantic dinner for 2. We did see a couple with a young toddler having dinner and also a one diner, and a senior couple. I liked the decor in the restaurant - modern chic but not OTT. The service was excellent - the waiter was informative delivered with a sense of humour. The food was good - I had snapper which was really good and my fiancé had something from the Hawaiian selection which he didn't rate as good, perfect portions, beautifully presented. I'd eat there again.

We then headed to the hotel bar, there was only a few other couples there. The bar was intimate and the barman was great in entertaining us with conversation as well as recommending good cocktails. The Maitre D’ from the restaurant actually came over to us at the bar to thank us for dining at the restaurant (we had not seen him on leaving the restaurant) which was an unexpected effort - that's what I call really good detail! Being a Monday night in November we didn't expect much atmosphere and we didn't stay up late at the bar (left at 11pm) but I can imagine on another night when it may be more busy it would have had a good vibe - there was a piano there which would've been nice to hear being played had we been there at a different time.

All in all we had a great one night stay, enough for me to say yes I'd stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sam L
Dear Sam L,

Thank you for the detailed response!

We appreciate you taking the time to recount your stay in such detail, and I am glad the staff and hotel outlets were able to provide you with great service and dining experiences. Your comments regarding the information desk and meal at the Maritana have also been shared with the appropriate managers to review and follow up with. Thank you for your feedback so we can continue to improve!

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, thank you again for taking the time to post your review!

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great location, great service, beautiful beach, lovely pools, friendly staff:
The hotel is beautiful and the staff is very helpful, friendly and professional. Our oceanfront room was clean and comfortable and the view was spectacular.
There are lots of little extras provided such as water and sunblock at the pool and a
bottle of water every evening wth the turn down service. We also received a lovely tray of snacks on our first night. Therefore we found it odd that the housekeeping was a bit stingy with the toiletries.
There is a rental charge for chairs on the beach, but the pool chairs and towels are free and plentiful and the pool staff is helpful.

Room Tip: The King Grand was spacious and had a great view of the pool and beach-
Dear MaraS500,

Thank you for your review!

We truly appreciate you taking the time post your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor. It sounds as though you had a great time, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Please inform us if we can be of any assistance, thank you again for your feedback!

nj
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on 2 different occasions, and once to hang on the beach and by the pool when we stayed in Tampa. I LOVE this hotel, it is a GEM on the Gulf of Mexico with beautiful big beaches and calm water. The pool area can get crowded so make sure you get up early to reserve your chair. We usually hang at the pool or the beach all day and order lunch right to our lounge chairs! Service is top notch and food/drinks are Good for the price. The Don is a classic portrait of a beautiful hotel and gives you many opportunities to take beautiful pictures. The spa is nice and each massage room has a view of the ocean. For the price I was not impressed with the massage, but I always feel resort spa's are hit or miss. If you do hit up the spa - make sure you take advantage of the private roof top deck. You can hang out with great views of the coast and pool area. We stay here when visiting my brother in Tampa to take advantage of the nice weather while its still freezing in the North East. My favorite time to go is right after hurricane season (early October) Weather is usually in the mid 80's with a perfect breeze. We have been in late August and the weather was lousy, but that is usually normal for that time of year. There is some pretty interesting history regarding this hotel and some say it may even be haunted ;)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bearie j
DanielWalsh, Manager at The Don CeSar, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear bearie j,

Thank you for your response!

We appreciate you continuing to choose us as your #1 destination in St. Pete Beach! Thank you for the kind words and we hope to see you again soon!

-Daniel Walsh, VIP Manager
Sirata Beach Resort
Sirata Beach Resort
#14 of 32 in St. Pete Beach
Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center

Been to The Don CeSar? Share your experiences!