“The Don was fabulous!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore
“The Don was fabulous!”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Loews Don Cesar from September 27 to October 1 and it was one of the best vacations we have had since getting hitched. The pools and beach are where we spend most of the time when we go to Florida and the Don did not disappoint. Very clean establishment and staffed with real professionals. The Sea Porch was our go-to breakfast place and it was great. Diverse menu, tasty, and filling. We will definitely return and recommend this property while in St. Pete' s Beach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband took me to the Don Cesar for my birthday, what a gift! It was beautiful, the interior was gorgeous, the grounds were well manicured, the room was nice and comfortable. Nice outdoor dining at the Sea Porch all day. The beach is really nice right there, calm water, gorgeous sunsets every night, drinks and food delivered to your chairs. Very nice, accommodating staff. They do have the $22 per day resort fee, which is okay but does leave customers I believe with a bit of a sour taste. But I would still go back, I loved it there. The spa was nice; they have great happy hour spa deals Mon.-Thurs. from 4-6 so be sure to check that out! The food was good, the only downfall of that was that each place has pretty much the same menu, the Sea Porch, Tequila Bar and pool. We did go to nearby Pass a Grill for breakfast one day and dinner another, a nice quaint little area just south of the hotel. We also went to downtown St. Petersburg, which I would recommend it was real pretty. We had drinks at the Vinoy Hotel on the porch, which I would recommend as well, it is not too far.

As mentioned by others, there is a fee for chairs on the beach, but my husband and I sat right outside the pool area on a small deck right on the beach which was fine at no charge. They have two nice pools and a hot tub, all are great, the only downfall here is on the weekend there were quite a few kids in the hot tub which I don't think is a place for them.

The other really nice thing we did was on Wednesday afternoons they offer "classes" in the Lobby Lounge, we had a class on how to make Mojitos, which was really informative and fun, look for that if you go, each week is a different lesson. The Lobby Lounge is really nice, they have live music each night from 5-8, which is great.

The shops on the garden level are real nice but not very expensive. They have a nice work out room.

Overall I would highly recommend the Don Cesar, it was romantic and relaxing!

Room Tip: Our room did not face the ocean but it was fine we were not in there that much during the day anyway...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Loved just about everything about this hotel except the lack of coffee makers in the room, the $22.00 resort fee and $10-$20.00 for parking. Go rent a jet ski on the beach. We were out for almost an hour and saw dolphins! Great for couples (saw many weddings on the beach), girls getaways and families. Was surprised at how early things got quiet on the weekend. I think kids will love the pool beach, ice cream shop and game areas! Saw a couple beautiful banquet rooms too, one with a balcony area overlooking the ocean.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view rooms should choose higher floors to see over the adjoining roof to the ocean. S...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Tampa Fl
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just returned from spending a quick getaway at the Don Cesar. We live in Tampa ( about 40 minutes away) and my daughter was attending a party there on Saturday night so we decided to make a weekend of it.
I did think twice as the rates for just a random Novenber weekend were on the pricey side ( even with AAA discount) but decided to go for iit and I was not disappointed. First location is perfect...steps from the beautiful white sandy beach. Beach rentals make it easy to relax on the beach which this weekend was not at all crowded. Moving between the beach and the beautiful resort style pool is easy. There were multiple staff memebers at the pool eager to set you up with a lounge chair. A nice perk at all Loew's pools is the periodic poolside treat like a small cool smoothie or milk shake. There were also hourly activities that my 7 year old loved to partake in pool or beachside.

The hotle is gorgeous. Arrived at 1pm check in was a breeze and room ready to go.As common wiht older hotels rooms are small bu today's standards, but very well appointed and recently renovated and modernized. Robes are awesome quality and comfort.

Restaurantes and room service were all quite good.

This visit the thing which stood out the most was the staff. All the staff were so friendly and accommodating. Everywhere we were staff members would come by, say hello and ask how we were enjoying our stay and if there was anything they could do fo us...This happened everywhere...It really made you feel welcomed and pampered.

I truly can not wait to return to the Don Cesar

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Have wanted to stay at this hotel for over 15 years and was not disappointed!
Beautiful view of the breach and pool, wonderful rooms and the best bath robes of our trip to the USA!!! (And we stayed at the Bellagio!)
The staff are wonderful, we asked for a taxi to go to a local restaurant, (which they recommended which was brilliant) the taxi took some time to come so the valets requested the hotel car for us!
Breakfast buffet was well stocked, pool bar was a welcome bit of shade with good food, but the boys thought the pool was too cold.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pequannock, New Jersey
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Every year now for about the last 8 years I spend some time in October at the Don CeSar Hotel. I am never dissapointed. I don't really want to tell you all how wonderful it is there because I want to really keep it to myself, don't want it to get too crowded.
Upon arrival my room was ready and very well appointed. I requested a king size bed with a balcony on the Gulf side. Daniel Walsh, who made my reservations for me never let me down. I was at the Don when Hurricane Sandy hit the NJ area and being from NJ my travel plans got changed around a bit but the front desk group always had an option for me for a room. Everyone at the hotel is very gracious and friendly. Why would you stay anywhere else? While I agree I regret that now they charge for the chairs on the beach and for parking that doesn't deter me from the fabulous service and wonderful accomadations that the Don CeSar has to offer. I look forward to my return trip maybe even sooner than next October.

Room Tip: There are very few rooms on the gulf side with balconies. Book early and ask for one of them. Or t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
omaha
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were undecided on where to stay in Florida until several people recommended the Don. We're glad they did. After the first day in the hotel we thought for sure they must have confused us with someone famous as we were being treated like royalty unlike a resort in Mexico where they were just plane rude. Parking was free as well as internet and yoga classes on the beach. They open the doors for you with a smile as you come and go. We found the front desk especially accomodating. The rooms were beautifully designed and clean but a little on the small side. The beds were comfortable and pillows soft. We had a corner room, so nice windows and sunlight. The ceiling leaked during a rainshower but they were quick to clean it up and comp our room. The pool is nice but the beach is even better. White sand, lots of chairs though, as with all other resorts, they are sometimes hard to find if you sleep in. The beach personnel would go out of their way to find you empty recliners and an umbrella. It seemed people were always coming and going so not a problem to eventually find something. The outdoor bar/restaurant was fun with entertainment every day. The food was good. You can walk the beach to other bars and found some fun ones with sand volleyball. I loved the yoga sessions on the beach which were very relaxing. There is something here for everyone and I know you'll love it.

Room Tip: They do welcome dogs...a long tradition, so make sure if you get a "deal" that it's a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple