“Great Stay”

Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great Stay”
Reviewed August 12, 2005

Stayed 5 - 12 Aug 2005. Great resort, Clean with polite staff. No problems at all. Will be back

7 Thank Paul5289

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Polish first
bathgate, scotland
Reviewed August 11, 2005

If I could give this less than a 1 rating I would. My husband, 2 kids and myself went to Florida for 3 weeks last month. The first 2 weeks we stayed in Orlando and it was fantastic. For our 3rd week we went to St Pete beach and this hotel.

I really don't know where to start, we arrived at 7pm with 2 tired children and were told they were to busy to check us in and to come back in 45 minutes. When I said the children were tired and we needed our room the manager (or so she claimed to be) said my children weren't her problem. Eventually after sitting in reception for almost 45 minutes they checked us in.

We went off towards our room and the corridor was horrible, the carpets were filthy and there was a horrible smell. When we got to the room we couldn't get in so my son and husband went back to check in and I waited with my daughter. She lay down on the floor and when I picked here up I couldn't believe he colour of her shorts, they were gross. I was just praying the room would be ok.

When we got in at last I just wanted to cry. The carpet was just as bad as the corridor, the bed covers had burn marks and holes, the TV wouldn't work and the bathroom was disgusting. We went back to reception but they wouldn't change us rooms, said that it was ok and the best they had. We had paid up front for the whole week so we couldn't afford to go anywhere else. It was so hard not to let the children see how upset I was but I wanted to go anywhere else.
We put the children in one bed and my husband and I got in the other, I went to sleep thinking it couldn't get any worse but it did. In the morning when the children got up I pulled back the covers on their bed and there was unwashed underwear in their bed. By this time I was hysterical. My husband pulled on some clothes and went off to reception to kick up a row. For the only time in the whole week the guy at reception apologised and said the room would be fully cleaned that day. I don't think they did anything other than what they usually do. By the time we left my son had bites all over his legs which our GP said could be bed bugs.

I though hotels like this only existsed in third world countries. We have complained to our tour company and are waiting for a reply but please don't go to Dolphin Beach. I would hate anyone elses holiday to be ruined like ours was, it even spoiled the good time we had in Orlando before that.

11 Thank scottishminnie

Travelers are raving about these St. Pete Beach hotels

UK
Reviewed August 6, 2005

I arrived back from 3 weeks in the USA,of which 3 nights were at the Dolphin and felt I must let other readers Knowstraight away to NEVER GO HERE.
The first room we were given (121 left block as you look at hotel from the front) stunk so much of damp and filth it made me heave.
We then got the keys for room 159 in the right block,this room was very tatty, run down and dirty, but no smell.But the worse bit was on the second morning it was alive with cockroaches !!!!.(I have bottled one and will be sending it to a certain bearded buisnessman with whom we booked)
The food in the bar and buffet was tastless.
The only good thing I can say is it is in a great position on the beach.
No way is this a 3* hotel, it is a dump!!

5 Thank Ferris5632
Orlando Area
Reviewed August 2, 2005

Background: We reserved roughly 20 rooms for a family reunion being
held here. We were told we could not use the banquet facilities, they
were already occupied, which was fine. We instead asked to use the
restaurant facilities including the outdoor patio, which would accomodate our
group of about 70 people. Also, in that deal, we would purchase about
70 dinners, ranging anywhere from $10-$15/pp including tax and
gratuity. The day before our arrival the hotel called us to tell us they could
not accomodate us, we would have to go somewhere else for food. We
were surpised, major loss of money for them, but whatever. We found a
different place.

Location: Easy to find, a funky gold color. Ample parking.

Check-in: Manager (Bonnie) was working the front desk. Had several
other desk employees standing around not doing anything. Waited on after
about 10 minutes. Checked to see that the 3 rooms we reserved together
were all together. Bonnie said they can't guarantee the rooms were all
together. We said fine, but if we could get at least 2 of the rooms
together it would be helpful. No. After being yelled at (finger
pointing and all) we agreed to continue our room assignment, as we would get charged whether we stayed or not, since our cancellation was not within a 24 hour period.

Grounds: The pool was always very clean and sparkling. Plenty of lawn
chairs. After reading reviews, we went out early in the morning to get
our pick of chairs. At 10:30 there were still several chairs left.
Now, mind you, there was our family reunion taking place as well as 2
weddings going on. So, the hotel was definitely full. There is a sign
that says you cannot reserve chairs using towels or other means, but I
didn't see anyone doing that. Hotel is on the beach, so that was very
convenient, especially for the price. Tiki bar at the pool is a little
pricey, but we came to expect that. Oh, bring beach towels, there are
no poolside towels. And watch out for Red Tide along the beaches for
those with severe allergies. Nothing the hotel can control, but do
research before you stay if you are prone to allergies.

Restaurant: We used the restaurant twice for breakfast. Weekend buffet
prices are $9.95 for adults and $4.95 for kids. On the buffet was
fresh fruit, muffins, scrambled eggs, hash browns, grits, sausage links,
bacon, biscuits, gravy, french toast (VERY YUMMY) and pancakes. They
also had a seperate area with toast and dry cereals. The french toast was
wonderful, but took a while to get refilled. Staff was pretty good.

Stay: We had NO COCKROACHES in our room, but bear in mind, they are
very normal for Florida. (They're actually large, black Palmetto Bugs,
not cockroaches like what are found in dirty homes in the north.) Also
normal for Florida was the dampness. Our room was damp! Swimsuits
didn't dry over night and the carpet seemed wet to walk on. Every other
room has a balcony, I would suggest that for drying your clothes. There
are laundry facilites on each floor but they fill up fast. The rooms
were very large. Hallways smelled a little musty, as did one of our
relatives' rooms in the lower level/poolside. Our MAJOR problem with the
room was that it was not cleaned until 7:00pm, after calling to ask if
they missed us we got attitude. Then, when the room was cleaned they
never replaced our towels. So, we had to go to the front desk both
mornings to ask for towels. That was kind of a pain in the butt. There are
no alarm clocks in the rooms, so that could pose a bit of a problem for
someone in a time crunch.

Other than what I've described...that is pretty much it. If you want
excellent customer service and to be waited on hand and food DO NOT stay
here. If you want a cheap room on the beach that you're not going to
be in other than for sleeping and showering this may be for you.

18 Thank ckparrotheads
Reviewed July 18, 2005

stayed at this hotel for last leg of our 3 centre holiday in Florida.

Would have been fantastic if as much attention had been paid to the cleanlieness of inside hotel rooms as outside of rooms, ie pool area, bars, lobby etc.

When we arrived, there was still sand in corners of room and wrappers from biscuits under the beds. We also found someones cheap and tacky plastic ring caught up amongst bedcovers.

But on whole must say we enjoyed out stay at this resort and would definitely come back but maybe to different hotel

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 17, 2005

We arrived at Dolphin Beach Resort on July 7. It was me, my husband and two children. The first thing we noticed was the smell. The hall leading to our room on the floor smelt like urine. Our room had a great view however it was so humid that everything was wet. The air conditioner could not compete with the level of humidity in our room. It was so bad that our clothes were even wet in the drawers. When we left and finally got home all of our clothes, our hair and everything else we brought with us had our home smelling just as bad as the Dolphin Beach Resort.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2005

What a great place to stay in St Pete beach. This is the first review that I have written on the internet. It seems that the only reason that people write reviews is to be negative and complain. I won't complain about the Dolphin beach resort. It was very clean and kept. The pool was great and my son loved it. There was a baseball tournament of little league players. So, alot of families were there. everyone was nice. We came the day after Dennis left. we didn't see any damage. except for some seaweed on the beach and some washed ashore dead fish. I would definetely come back. it is a great value. I read all the negative reviews. I don't know what those people were complaining about.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member