“Indoor corridors, heated pool, but not too Ritzy”

Dolphin Beach Resort
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed December 31, 2011

And oh, by the way, right on the beach. This is what my wife told me she wanted. I selected Dolphin Beach Resort and it did not disappoint. We stayed four days the end of December and liked it better each day. The room has all our needs, a good sized refrigerator with none of the costly amenities that take up all the refrigerator space in those ritzy hotels, outside wash basin so I can shave while my wife showers, good sized room, microwave, two closets, hair dryer, iron and ironing board we never use anyway, free wifi, and more storage space than normal, elevators, and inside restaurant with pretty good food reasonably priced. Plenty of parking and access from parking lot so you don't have to wait around for the elevator. The downside - no business center or exercise room and this is not a new hotel, definitely shows its age but pretty well maintained. And the heated pool, although outside, was huge for a heated pool and clean as a whistle. Also has an indoor bar and and outdoor bar on the beach. Location is ideal, one mile from the Pinella Parkway, across the street from a shopping center that has a Publix food store, a dollar tree, and a Walgreens and walking distance to two cheap restaurants, Chick Fil-A and the Village Inn. As an added bit of info, If you like to visit the beaches at Ft Desoto, you will now have to pay $5 per day in addition to the 35 cents to get over the bridge. Just thought I'd throw that in for those of us who like to go there geocaching, kayaking, fishing, or biking.

Room Tip: The rooms with a balconey, view of beach, etc. will cost more.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Peregrinating_Pete
Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed November 3, 2011

My fiance and I decided to take an impromptu trip to the beach, so we called in and booked an ocean view room. We arrived a few hours later to check in, there was not a wait, so we gave our last name. The front desk agent started our check in seemingly annoyed. I asked if they gave military discounts, which she said they did, so as she is looking for the reservation she had his ID plus military ID in her hand. They had misspelled our last name, but it is not hard to do, so when she finally found us, she asked for a credit card for the room and explained the rate (still seemingly rushed and irritated) and mentioned another credit card for the $500 deposit. We were a little confused at this point, so he inquired as to what this was for. At this point, even more frustrated she stated that when we booked the room we had been explained to that because we were 18, we would need to give a credit card deposit for damages. My fiance, said no... we weren't and had we been given a chance to speak we would have explained that we were indeed, not 18. (27 to be exact, and like I stated above, she had two forms of ID in her hand) She cut him off and very rudely said "Sir, you do not need to get an attitude with me, it says it right here in the notes". I have to explain that my fiance is not the rude type, and I can assure you, there was absolutely no tone in his voice. I spoke up and told her either way, no matter the notes, he wasn't 18, therefore we wouldn't be needing the damage deposit. She continued the rest of the check in with out much conversation. She gave us no information on the hotel. The next morning we woke up and realized we weren't sure if they offered breakfast, or if there was room service, and we had already gone through the one packet of coffee and were in need of more. So, he called down to the front desk. We wanted to ask if they offered free breakfast and if not what our options were, and also to ask for more coffee if possible. The lady answered the at the front desk, he said "Do you offer breakfast here?" She said "no we do not offer breakfast, goodbye". After this odd phone conversation, he mentioned it to me, thinking maybe he misunderstood her. He called back. He asked her if they offered room service. She said she would need to transfer him to the restaurant, and again said goodbye and transferred before he could ask for the coffee. For the third time in 5 min he called back and asked for the coffee. She said she would try to ask housekeeping, again said goodbye, and hung up. At this point, I was really shocked at how incredibly rude the front desk had been and decided to write in the comment card. I wanted to delivery it directly to a manger but after housekeeping came in, it was gone. I assumed they took it to the front desk, but I suppose it could have been thrown out before it got there. Either way, there are plenty of options on St Pete Beach and I wouldn't waste your time. The only reason I gave this property 2 out of 5 is because the bartender at the pool bar was incredibly nice.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SierraJ0303
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Attended a regional conference here today - conference content was great but the facility is mediocre at best. A/C ceiling vents rusted, ceiling tiles dirty (and/or moldy) and the place smells like mildew and old, old cigarette smoke. Decor is 70's vintage beach with a disco twist. They apparently have only a floor stand microphone and for some reason the screen was placed off to the side of the room. To be fair, maybe the conference organizers set this up buy I did notice that all the conference rooms were arranged this way. The management must focus on the beach and pool area as these parts of the complex were nice enough. The 'spa' was covered and apparently unavailable. The breakfast setup was still on display @ 1 pm so maybe they cater to late risers. The beach is beautiful but spend a little more $$ and find a nicer place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I'm back at the Dolphin once again, for a 5-night stay. I've always gotten a beach front room, hoping for first floor so I can stick my toes right in the sand from my 'patio' stoop. This time I have opted for pool side with balcony, north side of the complex, 3rd floor.

It looks like maybe the Dolphin has undergone some minor remodeling. The paint and bedspreads seem fresher.

The Dolphin is not a fancy place, but it is comfortable, and it is right on the beach. As I mentioned, you can stick your toes right in the sand in a first-floor beachfront room. Try THAT at one of the typical hi-rises here.

I like shopping at the Publix Market across the street, where I pick up items for breakfast and snacks for late afternoon. The fridge has plenty of room for even a gallon of milk, plus sodas and water and etc. and a drawer for meats, cheese, salad items. There is also a microwave which works great, so I can nuke a snack if necessary.

The Dolphin now has complimentary wifi. I don't remember this in the past. Seems it was for a fee in the past?

The pool is not huge, but very inviting none the less. I think I'll be spending quite a bit of time on my balcony overlooking the pool. Because I'm on the north side of this u-shaped complex, I am getting full sun during the daytime. Rooms that are poolside on the south side of the complex don't appear to be getting much sun, now that autumn is here, and the sun is in a more southerly location for the USA.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony if you opt for poolside. Not all rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Sim C
Reviewed October 3, 2011

it was very close to beach and walking distance to many restaurants. the room was clean and staff was polite and helpful. only complaint wanted later check out but all were taken.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2011

we had a room with a balcony on the second floor and a king bed.
Pros: good price, on the beach, close to good restaurants, nice patio for meals, pool closes at dusk so minimal pool noise
Cons: Air conditioning is loud if you are a light sleeper, no screen on window (so you cannot leave the window and listen to the ocean waves at night).

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are farther away from the outside bar so they are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Don't expect a classy, elegant resort. Expect bright visually appealing beachy decor with clean rooms, comfortable beds, microwave and fridge. Central A/C but is very loud to run if you are a light sleeper. I am not. Ocean front balcony or pool/gulf view with balcony is highly recommended. First floor ocean front rooms have sliders that open to a private porch with chairs; walk three steps down and you are on the beach. Second and third floors have a spectacular view off individual balcony. The pool is popular, so is the outdoor bar area with live entertainer at specific times. Parasailing is right out front and other water rentals are available except handicapped beach wheelchairs and bikes. Sunsets are spectacular. Very convenient location. Large parking area only for checked in guests. Next to a public beach area which your visitors can park in with enough quarters. Publix grocery store is across the street, along with IHOP, Village Inn, and Chick fil a. Short drive to Pass-a-Grille beach and fabulous/casual seafood restaurants. 5 miles the other direction is the best shopping area with Bubba Gump Shrimp, deep sea fishig, sunset cruises, a beautiful area. Have to bring your own pool/beach towels and floats.

Room Tip: Ask for AAA discount
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family