“Good deal for families!”
Review of Alden Suites

Alden Suites
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed March 31, 2007

Stayed there 3/24-3/31.
Great location on the beach!
Parking is good, very secure!
No restaurant on site, but plenty of great places within walking distance.
Our favorite place was the Undertow, which is south of the hotel on Gulf Blvd. Best Grilled tuna ever! Huge sandwich for only $6.99. It is just a beach bar with waitresses in skimpy outfits, but the beers are cold and the food is wonderful. Probably not for the kids after about 8 PM or on Saturday afternoons during the Volleyball Leagues.(quite a spectacle!)

Lots to do for kids of all ages!
Playground, Basketball court, Tennis Courts, shuffle board, and Volleyball.

The place is a little dated, but kept clean.
Rooms are adequate, but even the largest rooms are very narrow. Staff was outstanding! There was always someone walking around, picking up trash, greeting guests, etc.
Nice patio with 3 gas BBQ grills and plenty of tables and benches. Pools were clean and chlorine level was perfect!

The beach there is outstanding!
Go to Publix (grocery store) and buy the little reclining beach chairs for $10 a piece. Or for $18/day, you can rent the double lounger cabanas.
The rental guy usually goes home about 5 PM, so you can just wait and use them for free.

Cabana bar is nice! Definitely try the Peach-Rasberry Daquiri.

As was previously mentioned, buy some paper plates, paper towels and Plastic cups for the room. Also, buy a couple packages of those cheap plastic hangers at Publix if you bring a lot of hanging clothes. Nice big closet.

Bathroom was adequate, always had hot water. Having the sink and vanity in the hallway was actually a good idea, but a little butt-bumping when someone came through to bedroom.
Beds and Pillows were good. Maid service was good, good bath towels and beach towels provided.

I booked thru Expedia, (air, hotel and car) and that was defintely the best deal by about $300.
The Alden is definitely not the cheapest, and not the most luxurious place around, but we found it very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank gitnby

Reviewed March 29, 2007

I really liked this hotel, and being there just before the crush of spring break, we got a decent rate. We stayed in the Nassau wing and our room was very nice. It was clean, beds comfortable, separate living area, even a balcony. Even tho the room didn't face the gulf, you could still see the beach. Beach access was easy. The only drawback was there was no restaurant on site, although there are tons on the strip, and the bar was small and not well staffed. Just slow service, but friendly. I would stay again. Just don't eat at the Waffle House down the road, very nasty.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2007

This is a great family run property. Not to big. Felt comfortable letting the kids have a bit of freedom. Right on the ocean. Nice pool and hot tubs, great tennis courts, cute beach bar. The BBQ were great, we used them a couple of nights. The only thing rooms are well used and could use a bit of TLC. We will be back

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank mainprize97
Reviewed January 2, 2007

We have just returned from a seven day stay at the Alden-Christmas day to New Year and we could not be happier! Stayed in a Nasau suite and everything was as advertised or better...Beach-tennis-surf-jogging-shelling-shopping at your door and an ave. daily temp of 80 degrees. Had one blocked toilet and five minutes after a call to the front desk it was fixed. Pools and grounds were clean and well maintained. The little kitchen was so good we didn't eat out all week. Publix is a short ten minute walk down the beach...great prices...we picked up a cook book at Borders for a buck and had a great time trying out a new recipe each evening...We hope to return and if we do here are a few things we would take to make our stay even better...measuring cups, spices, and other cooking stuff,radio-c.d. player,tennis shoes...Our lap top with wireless link came in really handy as we used it for the odd DVD and internet...you can pay and get a solid connection for ten bucks a day but we got an okay wireless conection from the hotel next door and didn't cost a cent. We have two older teens, and they had a great time-enough space that we are still all talking and even planning for next year.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2006

This is the 3rd Fourth of July that we've spent at the Alden. Definitely not the Ritz, but terrific for teens. It's an old Florida Motel at its finest. We traveled with 6 teenagers/adults ages 15, 17, & 20. We stayed in one AB suite = 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 living rooms, 1 kitchenette, & 1 full kitchen. Basketball court, tennis court, beach volley ball, two pools, two hot tubs, hot grills w/picnic tables, and a gorgeous beach - what more could kids this age want? The hotel is minimal, but clean, staff pleasant and helpful, and when we had an issue with a credit card, they accommodated us until we could get it cleared up the next morning. Public transportation is right outside the lobby door and it travels all the way to John’s Pass for shopping and food or farther down to Clearwater beach. Their are plenty of restaurants and small souvenir shops within walking distance for the kids to explore and extra excursions can be booked right on the beach. We reserved a cabana for the week, which is perfect as the "meeting place" when you're trying to keep track of six young people. The only down side is the market is too far to walk back from with groceries in tow – you’ll either need a car or taxi to help with this chore. This is a lovely, laid back resort that is absolutely fantastic to watch sunsets from, but watch out on the night of the Fourth for the “rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air” is true and it’s crazy, but the teens love it!

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled with family
4  Thank Alden-Fan
Reviewed October 28, 2006

We just returned from a wonderful trip to the Alden Beach Resort. We arrived on October 20th and left on the 24th. I was traveling with my husband, and two children ages three and one. I had done a lot of research prior to our trip and had poured through the reviews on TripAdvisor and was a little worried. Some of the reviews painted this dismal picture of a bug infested dirty hotel. However, the other reviews described a family friendly environment. I decided to risk it and go to the Alden because it had everything I had wanted. Separate sleeping areas, a kitchen area, a patio and it was right on the beach. I was nervous upon arrival, but my fears were immediately put to rest.

The hotel staff was friendly and quickly checked us in. We stayed in a Cayman suite which was facing the beach. Let me tell you that the view was incredible. I loved being able to sit on the balcony, read a book, and enjoy the sounds of the beach. We had requested a crib for our one year old and it was quickly delivered. My husband and I decided to let the kids sleep in the bedroom and we would sleep on the pull-out sofa. This way we could enjoy the patio after the children had gone to bed. If you decide to do this, just know that you are going to be sleeping on a pull-out sofa bed and that they are not known for being the most comfortable in the world. However, other than that, the plan worked great. The Cayman suite had a full size refrigerator, two stove top burners, a microwave, small dishwasher, coffee pot, toaster, dishes, cups and utensils. There is a Publix supermarket less than 2 minutes down the road from the hotel, which allowed us to stock up on breakfast and lunch supplies. At the Alden, there is also a common patio area with three gas grills and picnic tables where you can have a cook out. The beach was lovely, and the pools were a lot of fun. My children also loved the playground and my husband and I enjoyed the Cabana bar.

I read a lot of complaints by people regarding the age of the hotel or the fact that there were partiers. I think that depending on the time of year you go, no matter where you stay, you're going to find partiers and have to deal with it. While we were at the Alden, there was a group of people who decided to play volley ball (and not a nice quiet game, but with a lot of screaming and yelling) at the beach at 11:00 at night. We called the front desk and they quickly handled the situation. As far as the age of the hotel, it's not one of the newer Marriott's, or other "name brand" hotels. You won't find a lot of those types of hotels in this area. However, it's very well maintained and definitely well care for. One thing to keep in mind, the pools are open until 9 or 10 at night, so if you have young children, you may not want to have a room over looking the pools. People are loud and have fun at pools. We were very pleased with this hotel and have already started talking about when we're gong to go back.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
13  Thank jsnart
Reviewed October 28, 2006

This hotel has a perfect location, nice pool areas, has a bar/restaurant, and is for the most part the grounds are well maintained and the staff was nice. I only stayed one night before heading to a very nice time share in Orlando. I had a nice size hotel room on the ground level, with a sitting area, and small kitchenette. I think it was called the Bermuda room and was close to the pool near closest to the beach. I thought all was well, until I had put a dish in the sink and rinsed it out only to shortly return to see a lot of little bugs floating around on the plate. Had I not had the plate in the sink with the water, I probably would not have seen the little bugs. The hotel maintenance guy called them "no seeums" because you really have to strain to see them..and with the dim lighting in the room, they are not obvious. I was not satisfied with the response from the worker when I found the bugs, they came and did a lousy job of spraying the counter and sink area...and I had to put up with the smell of that. I did not pursue it, because I was checking out the next morning, and didn't want that one night to ruin the rest of my vacation.

I'm not sure I'd return here again...with the location right on the beach, people going in and out of a room, I'm sure it's hard to prevent these types of mishaps....but when you're on vacation, you expect more. If you travel a lot, like I do, you run into snags every now and again, you have to choose how you react to these bumps in the road. If I were staying longer, I probably would have them move my room...but I just put up with having the "heebee geebees" for an evening and not touch anything in the kitchen or set anything down in the kitchen area.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo