“Vacation away”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Bellingham
“Vacation away”
Reviewed January 20, 2010

The Alden was a very nice place to stay! They had an incredible view of the Gulf of Mexico, and the rooms were beautiful!

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed January 18, 2010

My brother lives in Tampa but when all the extended family comes into town, we head to the Alden Beach resort for a quick get way and room to spread out. We had 6 adults, 6 teenagers, and a baby, and we all could hang out together without feeling cramped. We are all "game players", so there were tennis and ping pong tournaments, hours playing in the two pools, and board games at night. As someone coming from the rainy Northwest, I loved swimming laps every day in a non-crowded pool. The hotel is right on the beach, with its own inexpensive "beach bar", but we also walked down the beach to a more raucous beach bar with a good band to listen to at happy hour. I was glad the loud beach bar was away from our hotel, to keep the noise level. BTW St Pete Beach has the softest, whitest sand I've ever felt and goes for miles- great sunsets and strolls!

The suites have all the silverware, dishes, pots and pans needed for a family of four. Because we were a large group, we rented one extra large suite to have room to spread out our clan for eating and game playing. We rented three other smaller suites for privacy and quiet for individual families which kept the costs down. To get a resort hotel on Christmas Week for $115/night for a suite that slept 3 or 4 people was great!

Lots of people from Montreal book even cheaper special packages and come down over the holidays for the sun. Only complaint is the $10 day internet fee in the room. Free internet if you bring your laptop to the lobby.

To sum up, if you love to play tennis (most resorts don't have), have a large group, want good value right on the beach, and plan to do some cooking to save money, the Alden Beach Resort is a great place! If you want elegance, go stay at the Don Cesar down the road. We went there for lunch (excellent but pricey) to see how the other half lives. Prefer to spend my vacation on activities and good local restaurants not hotel rooms.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank newteacher
Tampa, FL
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Husband and I stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend and had a nice time. The grounds and amenities here were very good (as described/photographed on their site). Very lush and tropical feel. Teens/kids would enjoy the play areas, shuffleboard, tennis courts, basketball; hubby loved the outdoor hot tub. Front desk staff were friendly and accommodating. Very handy location near groceries, pharmacy, restaurants, etc. Rooms were small but clean. Only down side was tiny beachfront balcony, and irritating "THUNK/cycle on....THUNK/cycle off" noise that I initally thought was from our A/C but continued even after I turned our room's system completely off.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
MN
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We were looking for a place on or close to the beach and within walking distance to restaurants. I also wanted a room that could accommodate the 5 of us since we had kids along I really didn't want them in a seperate room. After reading the reviews, we picked the Alden because we were on a budget, wanted to be by the beach (it's right on the beach) they have grills outside the first floor rooms and we could all be in one room. We walked out our front door and there was the pool and out our patio door was the beach along with a little bar area....PERFECT! The kids had so much fun they didn't even want to go to Disney World or Busch Gardens. The pull out bed wasn't the most comfortable but it wasn't so bad that we lost any sleep but I knew what to except also. The people there were really nice and we just had a great time.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Schaumburg, IL
Reviewed October 30, 2009

I stayed at the Alden Beach Resort for 5 days from Oct. 19-23. I had no problems with the room itself -- adequate size and clean. I wasn't there to watch TV, but at night I do like to watch the news. Cable or satellite dish reception could have been better -- lots of sporadic static background noise on the TV made watching impossible at times. The location of the hotel was good--right on the beach and close to several restaurants, Publix and CVS and Walgreens drug stores. The hotel should notify guests on their web site that WiFI access is not free -- just under $10.00 per day is charged for WiFi access. Most hotels offer free WIFi to guests in 2009. Would I stay there again? Maybe, maybe not.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed October 27, 2009

My family and I vacation in St Pete Beach every year. We vacation there for fun in the sun and not for the hotels. With that said, even when we had reason to stay inside for an extended period of time we found our suite at the Alden to be satisfactory.

I will agree that the hotel needs some updating - although the lobby was very modern and fresh - but the hotel doesn't claim to be a luxury resort. Being able to compare 3-star international hotels with 3-star hotels in the states, I have to say that to complain is to say there may be a bit of a spoiled attitude showing. If it's luxury you want, pay more somewhere else. But, personally, to pay a lot for a room in order to lounge and play on the beach for a week seems frivulous and silly in this economy. Believe me, I've had my issues with luxury hotels from bugs to bathroom mishaps. By the way, we had no other bugs besides the usual nor did we have any mishaps at this 3-star hotel.

Save your money and stay at the Alden. It is a fine place to spend your money and your vacation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank charldawn
Indianapolis
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I went with family and we had 5 rooms. Rooms are dark, a little smelly & the carpet is grubby. My mom had two bugs in her room one, the day before we left and one the day of departure & we had one the day of departure. Beach was nice and in spite of our disappointment with the rooms we enjoyed ourselves. Fun on the beach & other activities. They should definitely remodel and clean or get new carpeting, and get rid of the bugs. The manager said he would report the bug situation to housekeeping. I guess that means they'll spray or something. This is more of a motel than resort hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family