“Great to be back”

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Columbus, Ohio
“Great to be back”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just got back from St pete beach and it was great. I have been going to this beach every couple of years for 43 years, first 20 with my parents and grandparents and 23 solo and now my wife and kids. I always come back because I know what I will be getting. I can't speak about every room since we always stay in the premium gulf front suites. The room has always been clean, modern, and the view has been tops. When I was younger we stayed a few times at Shafts/ sandpiper, and now guy harveys, and could not remember views like this. The only down fall to the view would be that monstrosity of a slide at the Tradewinds. They do deflate it at 5 everyday, but the kids all around love it, I just look the other way. I have read a few reviews complaining about the room and just don't get it. Its clean, modern, comes with a small kitchen with stove, fridge, micr and dishwasher. Plus I believe they are around 500 sqft. I did stay at the Tradewinds once in the past and you will pay over $300 a night for an ocean/big slide view a night, plus a huge resort fee. I am not sure how long the current owners have owned this property but it is evident how much pride and money they put into it. I can go on but their website is pretty accurate. If I had to find one negative thing to say about the Alden it would be the very rude guy working in the hut on the beach. We tried using the cabanas out on the beach( not part of the hotel, privately owned) and this man came over and said $50 bucks. No hello or an explanation about the chairs, just $50 bucks ($25 a piece). So I went up and got the money to pay him for the chairs. A few hours later the lady next to me told me she paid $5 bucks for a few hours. So I went to investigate it and the guy told me if I don't like it take a hike( again, this guy does not work for the hotel). So the point of this story is do not use them, go across the street get an umbrella and a couple chairs. Thanks to the owners, keep up the good work. Will be back.

Room Tip: For the best views, get an ocean front top floor.
2 Thank Brian132
Fantastic Review!

This guest makes many excellent observations that I would like to comment on:

1) We take pride in the cleanliness and convenience of our suites, and yes the premium Gulf front suites are worth the upgrade for the breathtaking Gulf views and sunsets
2) The Tradewinds super slide is a very popular attraction next door to the Alden and kids at the Alden like the fact that it is only a few hundred yards from our hotel
3) Our suites offer numerous in-suite amenities that you won't find at a "typical" beach hotel and they are about 40% larger than a hotel "room"
4) Our rates are very reasonable for the product you get (a suite for the price of a room) and we refuse to charge "resort fees" of up to $25-35 per day for the use of our resort facilities and amenities. We offer FREE in suite coffee, free gourmet coffee and fresh fruits in the lobby, free daily newspaper delivered to your suite (including the Sunday Times), free WiFi, free parking, Free use of any and all recreational amenities, and the list goes on and on
5)Our family has owned the Alden since 1969 and yes we put money back in EVERY year, to the tune of about $500,000 per year, on average, some years much more. We have great pride of ownership and I'm glad you think it shows!

Now, to respond to the only negative comment:

I am truly sorry that you had a bad experience with the leased out cabana rental company, and have no excuse for that non-hospitable behavior by one of their employees. However, you may want to know that effective September 4, 2013, we will install BRAND new larger cabanas
and we have hired a new management company to operate the cabana rentals on our behalf. Alden guests will get a $5 discount off the daily cabana rental rate and I promise excellent customer service, credit and debit cards will be accepted (so you don't have to run back to your suite to get cash) AND best of all, Alden guests will be able to charge the cabana rentals to their suite! It will still be an independent operator, but we will closely monitor their service and hospitality

Sorry to ramble on, but I want to let all Trip Advisor fans know what's going on at Alden Suites

At Your Service,

President & part owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The resort is reasonably priced and on the beach. We had a great view. The guy in the gift shop was really helpful. Our kitchen appliances were clean. The overall look was dated and they didn't offer free wifi but we spent most of our time on the beach, in the pool, or at Busch Gardens. Over all it was a good place to bring the kids. Will be back in the future.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RMWWMED
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks for the nice comments...However, we have been offering FREE WiFi since June 1st of this year...

sheffield
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for one night so we could have a couple of days at the beach as a break from Orlando, the hotel was great everyone was really friendly, we arrived early around 11am and asked if we could use their facilities as check in wasnt til 4pm, but they said our room was ready and we could check in now, we were elated (not many hotels would let you check in 5 hours before) we could now enjoy the beach and retreat to our room if we had enough of the sun, which I did around 3pm with a headache so It was great to be able to go for a lie down to sleep it off, the rooms were basic but nice and compact with everything you need including a dish washer I was impressed. lovely balcony and amazing view of the gulf of mexico I will definitely recommend a gulf view room, the beds were really comfy as well much better than my bed back at the villa we were staying at. We took advantage of the buy one get one free drink at the bar which was nice and refreshing we had the ladies who worked there her special drink which was very nice. overall not a 5* hotel but for me much nicer as the staff were really friendly sometimes you wont get that from a posh hotel. so thanks for our very short stay, next time we'll come back and stay longer :)

Room Tip: book a gulf view room, amazing view
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I LOVE this type of review!

This guest made some very excellent points about the Alden:

1) We are not a 5-diamond hotel, but yes, we are very friendly and treat guests like family. I liked the comment that "sometimes you don't get this type of friendly service at a "posh" hotel
2) If your suite is ready when you arrive, you check in early. Why would any hotel make you wait until "official" check in time if your room is ready? That makes no sense at all
3)Our Gulf front suites have killer views with full size balconies, one of the very few St Pete Beach hotels that offer full size Gulf front balconies that are large enough for 2 chaise lounges and a table

Thanks again for the wonderful review,

Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is reasonably priced, right on the beach and the rooms are huge! We stayed in a Queen 1 bedroom suite. The pools are nice, hot tub is awesome but the rooms are a little dated. The staff was very friendly and helpful, parking was easy and the kitchen made it easy for us to make a few things in the room. Overall a great place to stay.

rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
As I always remind the staff when they talk about our "Rooms"......We don not have any "Rooms" only large SUITES, and that is what sets the Alden apart from many of the local beach hotels.

It may be cliche, but at the Alden, you "get a suite for the price of a room"

Thanks for your nice comments,

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks in late July and were pleased with almost everything. The guys at the front desk were all very helpful and friendly. The pools are clean and the hot tub is new and fantastic! The room was a little dated but big and great for a family. My only complaint is the BBQ grills, they were filthy and the brushes to clean them were worn down to nothing. They sent someone to clean them but they were still pretty bad. We were looking forward to grilling our steaks but ended up using the oven instead. Overall it was a great stay and would stay again.The beach is amazing!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Liz Q
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks so much for the nice comments....

Regarding the BBQ Grill Deck: First the good news: The Alden is the ONLY beachfront hotel in the area that allows guest access to 3 natural gas grills in a nice picnic atmosphere, with several tables under umbrellas, picnic benches, and a nice view down to the Lanai Swimming Pool. We get so many positive comments about this amenity and it is a very unique amenity, to say the least!

The grills are cleaned by our staff daily, so I am a bit surprised that you came upon a dirty grill, perhaps they had just been used by other hotel guests. In any event,I am sorry that the grill was not clean for your use.

Please come back again and thanks for your comments,

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is right on gulf road, on the beach side and closest to all main restaurants voted best on tripadvisor. Check in was easy and pleasant. We were given good instructions, two sets of keys and some local information. The hotel car park is behind a gate and is accessible with the room keys and there is plenty of space available. Our room was facing the pool on the first floor. Room was very spacious, modern and nicely decorated, with air on, a small kitchen, a nice sized bed and bathroom. Outside a small porch with two chairs and a table. The two swimming pools available were both nicely sized with loads of chairs and space. The jacuzzi was also very nice. On arrival we were also given a buy 1 get 1 cocktails offer for the bar on the beach - that was nice. The hotel is right on a very large and public beach. It was wonderful. Free wifi completed the package. E only two minor negative comments i have are: 1) house-keeping was extremely slow and our room was normally not done until well in the afternoon; and 2) we asked to please be allowed to check out one hour later and they did not allow that, claiming that the hotel was full and house keeping had to clean the room (given my point 1 i am sure that one hour would have made no difference at all)

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Marco B
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
The hotel is typically sold out every weekend in summer and thus we usually cannot allow for late checkouts, since that would lead to late check ins for arriving guests...a "no win" scenario!

Since we are all suites, it takes a little longer to completely strip the suite, clean it properly, have it inspected twice before the next guest checks in at 4 PM

Hope this helps,

El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed August 7, 2013

For an affordable on the beach hotel (~$110/night, King-Size Studio with 2-week reservation), we had a pleasant experience with this hotel. Family of four, stayed 2 nights 8/1 - 8/2/13. Arrived at 1 p.m. hoping to check-in early to take advantage of the day and the beach. Happy that room was ready, check-in was easy, and they will provide you with sufficent info and coupons for local businesses including St. Petersburg.
Entered our King-sized with sofa sleeper unit on the 1st floor and noticed a foul odor similar to urine which made it feel like this was an old outdated beach hotel room. I was beginning to regret my choice of hotel. Contacted the front desk and immediately sought out another room for us. It was nice they suggested we stay put while they brought the new room key to us.
Our new room had a clean fresh smell which vastly improved our impression of the room overall. Everything in the room appeared to be clean and nothing appeared to be broken or worn.
Each room has an AC unit which works very well, but it is a little noisy. I understand the AC will not turn on when the bathroom window is open. Room included small kitchen with electric stoves, microwave, fridge/freezer, pots/pans, plates, bowls, and drink glasses which was all very useful and helpful to save cost and reheat restaurant leftovers.
We enjoyed the clean pool area, as many other people seemed to be enjoying themselves including the jacuzzi. They have two shuffleboard courts which my family enjoyed. Had one of the many special mixed cocktails available at the beach bar which seemed a bit overpriced ($8), but they do have happy hour specials between 4 and 7, and a BOGO coupon that comes with the room on beer.
At the beach there are wooden beach chairs with cabana's that don't belong to the hotel. The cabana's won't work without the parts to prop the shade structure for a $25/day rental fee from a private business setup nearby.
They also have coin operated laundry facilities, a small store with just about everything you might have forgotten or would need/like on your beach vacation, and discount theme park tickets(e.g. Busch Gardens). I will not mention many of the other amenities offered at this property (too many), but they do seem to have covered everything and more in an effort to please their customers.
Every hotel employee we encountered at the the hotel, including the front desk (day and late night), housekeeping, maintenance, helpers, and bartender were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If anything about your room does not seem reasonably right, contact the front desk. They are very a...
1 Thank avedh