“scared from review below”
Review of Alden Suites

Alden Suites
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Goose Creek, South Carolina, United States
“scared from review below”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I booked with Travelocity for the Gulf front room, due to the hotel itself not matching the price found on the web, even though they say they do. And now I am scared, our family will be put in the same situation. We stayed at the Alden before and had a Run of the House room, but was booked thru the hotel, which this reservation agent, who was very nice, matched the price from Travelocity, 2 years ago, but no one would bother this year. Fingers crossed we do not end of for a week in the same situation!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sheri E
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Please do not be "scared" by the previous review...call the hotel, ask for Reservations and make sure that you are on the same page with us BEFORE you arrive.

People exaggerate from time to time...

At Your Service,

President & part owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My daughter, 2 grandchildren and I just stayed at Alden Beach Resort. For weeks and including the day of checkin I begged for a ground floor suite. I booked a Gulf Front Suite on Hotels.com (which I have used for many years and many, many bookings but will never use again) and was put in the WORST suite possible. The deck was about 18 inches!!! No room for deck chairs there! We tried to work with the front desk AND Hotels.Com for better accommodations and we were given a choice of the same suite type. There are 2 of the same disappointment. I asked for them to upgrade us to a suite with a deck and was told that would be an extra charge. Everyone, please beware that Hotels books a run of the house and if a nice room is available, most reputable hotels will put you in the best possible. Not Alden Suites. They will put you in the worst possible disregarding the fact that several were open on a Sunday night. I am so totally disgusted and now my memories of being here with my best friend (who is deceased now)are tainted and I am embarrassed that my grandchildren witnessed our family being so mistreated. We spent our 2 days at the Tradewinds because I couldn't bear looking at the place. Faucets leaked. Light bulbs were burned out and those in charge of my fate of staying there didn't care. Done asking for help. Done with Alden Beach Resort. Done with Hotels.Com. In fact, I have two more bookings with them that I will cancel.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank dolphinMinneapolis
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
After reviewing these comments with the VP of Operations, please allow me to clear up a few exaggerated statements made in this review:

This guest reserved ROH, which stand for "Run of the House" which is a significantly discounted rate for "run of the house" which means that we do our very best to assign the very best suite available that is not already reserved / occupied. If a guest elects to book a specific suite type, they generally pay more to guaranty that suite type. With ROH, it is a slight gamble (for a much lower rate) that if the desired suite types are already occupied, you may not get the suite type that you desire. In other cases ROH might get you the very best suiet in the hotel, at a significantly discounted rate, plain and simple.

In this case, the guest wanted a full balcony Gulf front suite and we simply did not have any available on those dates. The suite assigned is a very large, renovated Gulf front suite with full kitchen / living room, but happens to be one of only 6 Gulf front suites that has a "stand up " balcony versus the full size balcony that 95% of the Gulf front suites have.

The complaints about "leaky faucets and burned out light bulbs" appear to be "venting" since this guest did not get the desired suite type, and for that I am sorry.

Please see the other 97% of reviews that paint a more realistic picture that we DO CARE about our guests and treat them as guests in our own home

At Your Service

Richmond, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My sister and I stayed at Alden Beach resort April 2013. We had selected the resort from options found on the internet. When we arrived we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. Our room was clean and tastefully decorated. The kitchen was adequately stocked with needed cooking and eating supplies. The two pools and hot tubs were great. More than adequate number of lounge chairs were available. The beach is truly a few steps away from your room.
There is a small grab and go store on site, a hotdog stand and a cabana bar. There is not a restaurant. The resort is located close to numerous restaurants, shopping and medical facility. Could not have asked for more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jan C
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Another very satisfied customer / guest!!!!

Thanks very much,

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at the Alden for a few nights for wedding. I had a Lanai suite, with a beautiful ocean view. The rooms was very clean and well maintained. The beds were very comfortable. I was thrilled to have a stove and tea kettle so I could make tea in the morning!

There were plenty of towels and amenities in the bathroom, and while the water pressure was not the best I've ever experienced, it was more than adequate.

As previously noted, the staff was VERY friendly and helpful, and I appreciated that. They were right on it with directions, calling for cabs, and making recommendations.

I also have to say, in my section of the hotel, it was VERY quiet! I did not hear a peep from either side of me. Also, the wedding party I was with was probably the noisiest group in the hotel, admittedly. We could be found on any night, gathered into someone's room. Either the walls are made of concrete, or we had the most wonderful neighbors in the world. We were totally prepared to disband when the "keep it down!" calls came in, but they never did, which was great for us- but I hope we did not keep anyone up! Sunday, the group took advantage of the BBQ deck and we had a post wedding cook out- plenty of room and grill space.

The Alden is no luxury hotel,but I found it to be perfectly nice- clean, comfortable and a good value (at least with group pricing!). I doubt I'll be back to Florida anytime soon, but I would recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Get the Lanai building for the best view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank segpdx
Fantastic review!

I'm glad your wedding party enjoyed the stay, and thanks for pointing out how nice and helpful our staff is....

At Your Service,

Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you want to stay at a motel that has permanent residents this is the place -and keep the lights on at night unless you want visitors-beds not comfortable.. only good thing is good service and deceiving front desk set up is nice

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank luv2befree
rgaryr, Owner at Alden Suites, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
As anyone who lives or visits Florida will know, there are roaches, and yes, sometimes they get into places that you don't want to see them. We have excellent pest control and I am sorry that a roach snuck into this suite. Would you say negative things to a friend if you stayed in their house and saw a harmless roach?
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We picked this place to be beachfront but to also have a bedroom and separate living room. This was a weekend at the end of a week long Orlando trip. Checkin was friendly and efficient. They gave us beach pails for the kids which were used the whole time we were there. It was very clean but definitely looking a little worn, especially yhe carpet. There is a small kitchenette which was good for snacks and lunch food. Our beachfront suite was on the first floor next to the cabana bar and pool. It was great to sit on our patio and enjoy the music and look at the beach and ocean. However, having a room with the bedroom backing up to the pool was not great as the pool is open until 11 pm. It was quite noisy for the kids trying to sleep and on Saturday we were on everyone's path coming home after partying all night until about 2 am. This isn't the hotels fault at all and I think if we had been in a different room away from that area it would have been ok. beds were comfortable.

Overall a solid choice for a couple of days with a family. I don't think we will be back to this particular area. The beach was nice but it is definitely more of a party scene here at night than we realized and prefer quiter secluded beaches.

Room Tip: Any pool facing rooms could be noisy at night if you want to turn in early, or next to Cabana bar.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was our second time staying at Alden Beach Resort and it was as fabulous as the first time. We got a Lanai suite again, the building has a gulf view. The room and view were most excellant and of course the beach is beautiful. The staff was very helpful with restaurant suggestions and anything we needed. I will probably try to get reservations for later this year. You won't be sorry if you stay here.

Room Tip: Lanai rooms are a little more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple