“Paying for the view.”

The Brass Monkey
Ranked #33 of 148 Restaurants in St. Pete Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Description: Casual dining with a 2nd story view of the Gulf of Mexico and amazing sunsets. Specializing in Colossal Lump Crab Cakes and a variety of Fresh Seafood Items, but also offering the finest Steaks, Salads and even Pizzas, The Brass Monkey has something for everyone. Drawing on 18 years of restaurant experience in the Maryland Chesapeake Bay area, Kelly and her husband Barry have worked to achieve uncompromised and superior food quality, service, value and consistency in a casual dining atmosphere. All of the menu items are prepared in-house with the highest quality ingredients and painstaking attention to detail and freshness, all offered at a reasonable price. We are proud to say: "We overlook nothing but the Gulf!"
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Came here for dinner with my husband and son in August while on vacation. We got a great table on the outside balcony, overlooking the Gulf. Eat outside...the inside is dark and kind of dingy. Service was decent. This is a Baltimore-centered restaurant, so you'll see a lot of Ravens stuff...even the carpet on the stairs. No beers on tap, cans only, which was odd. Food was "eh"...wings were pretty much the best parts of our meal. Prices were pretty high, especially for the quality we received. We tried the "monkey balls" - crab cakes rolled into balls. They were okay, but way overpriced. We also had fried mozzarella sticks, and they were so-so. My son had a grilled cheese sandwich, but it didn't come on a frisbee as advertised because they supposedly ran out after a busy weekend. I asked to have my shrimp broiled or grilled, rather than fried, and they accommodated me. However, I received only 4 shrimp. Four. Granted they were jumbo, but they were tough & almost inedible. For $29, I was not impressed. My husband had the ahi tuna, and it was overcooked and was almost too spicy for him to eat (and he loves hot/spicy food). We dropped $100 on a meal that was disappointing overall. It's a good thing the view was so nice. I was happier with the ice cream I had afterwards from the sweets shop downstairs.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

The Brass Monkey was able to seat our large group of 17, at 9:30 pm on a Saturday night! They were very accommodating with the kids, giving out hats, crayons and frisbees. The food was great too. We enjoyed the big Ahi tuna sandwiches, turkey burgers, grouper rueben, mussels and an amazing huge pretzel, covered with crab stuffing and melted cheeses. Very friendly staff and a neat little spot with a great view.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Not really impressed by the quality of food, could be so much better, seems like staff didn't really care about the customer. This may have been an off day? There was a fair amount of people around, just not in here. I will give them another chance. But just one.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We really enjoyed our lunch on the balcony with great views on the beach and gulf. All dishes were really tasty and well prepared, and exceeded our expectations. Almost went back again for dinner and sunset views!

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We ended up here for dinner one night and lunch the next day. As former Marylanders we had missed the flavor.of Old Bay seasoning for to long. Once we got it one night we had to return.

Definitely do the crab cakes or.monkey balls (mini crab cakes). We also were pleased with the tuna and boiled shrimp. But the big part of the rating goes to the view. If you can sit outside, you definitely have to eat here. If you can't sit outside, it is still worth eating here but come back again when you can.