Keystone Motel
Bayview Plaza Waterfront Resort(St. Pete Beach)
$152
Alden Suites(St. Pete Beach)
$209
Alden Suites
Inn on the Beach(St. Pete Beach)
$245
Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort(St. Pete Beach)
$173
Coconut Inn(St. Pete Beach)
$180
St Pete Beach Suites(St. Pete Beach)
$159
Kimpton Hotel Zamora(St. Pete Beach)
$319
$254
  • Pool
$349
$309
Travelocity
Blind Pass Resort-Motel(St. Pete Beach)
$89
$86
Travelocity
The Don CeSar(St. Pete Beach)
$414
Hotelpower.com
  • Pool
All reviewspass a grillenice poolold floridalots of restaurants within walking distanceclean roomsroom keygulf watersmom and popcan't beat the locationlittle thingsgirls weekendbeachkitchenettetrolley
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was our second (and probably last) visit to the Keystone. Last May (2012) was pleasant enough so we decided to return this past week for four days. The room on the second floor was seedy with mismatched furniture etc. However the room was never cleaned once during our four day stay. The bathtub had almost as much sand as the beach by the time we left and I don't think that the motel even owns a vacuum.

The problem is the management. No one seems to give a darn. I told an older woman at the front desk about the lack of housekeeping (in response to her question on our stay). She said that she had never been told of this before. I suggested at she get "get off her duff" and go walk around the property.

No one is available from about 5PM until the next morning supposedly at 9:30 in the morning. I waited until almost 10 to check out since the young lady who was to open the office was 30 minutes or so late. Her excuse "they are on Florida time".

While the location is great and the prices are cheap, I must correct the young lady mentioned above. She is operating on a different planet, not Florida time!

Room Tip: Until they clean up their act go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank dag144
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I decided on this motel out of necessity; we had decided to visit Pass-A-Grille on the advice of a friend who used to live there. It sounded like the perfect spot for us old college roommates to meet up without kids, walk to dinner, enjoy the beach, and have a laid-back weekend.

My old friend was right about the locale: Pass-A-Grille was perfect. The motel, on the other hand, had seen better days. Location was great - right across the street from the beach. But the rooms were in barely passable shape: stained carpets, missing tiles in the bathroom, window air conditioning units that either froze you (or, if left off, let you steam in your room). There was no hallway air conditioning, no morning coffee, no extras whatsoever. The towels were not large enough to cover an adult human all the way around, and they were barely thinner than paper, many of them with holes. All of this could have been overlooked -- perhaps even appreciated, in a kitschy, old-Florida way. After all, the hotel has been in the family since 1945, and it's still run by the descendants of the man who built it all those years ago.

But that family didn't seem to agree on its rates, even amongst themselves. When I called to book the room, I was told I would have a downstairs room with a fridge and enough beds to accommodate three grown women. Price? $135/night. When the first guest arrived, she was shown to a dinky two double-bed room with no fridge. Price? $105/night. She assumed that's what I booked and figured we'd make do; we used to camp out on dorm floors. But that was almost 20 years ago, and we're all older and creakier, so she decided to go ask if there was a bigger room available that we could upgrade to. The man told her there was - a one bedroom/three bed location on the third floor. With a full extra room, and a bed for each of us, she took it. Price? $115/night. We stayed for our three nights, enjoyed the pool, the area, the beach, the great local restaurants.

We went to check out ahead of time on Saturday night, knowing the office would probably not be open before we needed to leave Sunday morning, at about 9 a.m. As we went to check out, the matriarch of the family told us to come back because she couldn't do it herself. No problem. We came back a couple hours later and her daughter started to check us out - at $135/night. Even she hesitated, but didn't say anything out loud, just started running our cards. One of our party questioned the rate, and she immediately agreed, then started running our cards at the lower rate (115/night). Then the matriarch told her no, she needed to add $20/night because we had three in the room instead of two. That was the first we'd ever heard of that. We explained what we'd been quoted, and the daughter agreed it was confusing. Then she charged us $135/night.

If she had just said to us that she was sorry for the confusion and charged us the quoted rate, or even halfway in the middle, we would have come away feeling good about the experience. Instead we felt like we'd been taken. It certainly didn't ruin our trip, but it did leave us coming away with a bad taste in our mouths.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank slater195
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The Mrs and I stay here several times a year. Price is very reasonable, staff is friendy and the location is excellent. Beach across the street and the Intra Coastal about 100 yards behind the hotel. Small area but enough high quality restaurants to keep your taste buds happy. Beautiful beach and spectacular sunsets. Love this place and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank RayCFla
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was our first time staying in Pass a Grill. We were in St. Pete for 7 days at the Bon Aire. We have wanted to stay in PAG for a few years so we thought the last 3 nights of vacation would give us a good feel. We love the location. The room was large with a small bathroom. We choose a room with no extras. The carpet was not clean, the towels had staines, and the sheets looked like they were very old. The price of the room was very good.
The managers of the Keystone did not seem very involved in the people that stay in the hotel. The location was wonderfull. The beach is just across the street. I really wish I had better things to say about the hotel itself but it was just OK.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cnews
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My sister and I, from CA and MO respectively, decided to meet in lovely Pass-A-Grille, FL for a long awaited reunion. After reading other reviews, we decided to stay at the Keystone, mainly for its central location for walking to attractions, and just a few steps from the beach.

We were greeted by lovely Danielle at the office who called out my name when I walked in the door. Our room designations were designed just for our stay, including a kitchenette for my sister's special diet. Nice spacious room with kitchen for my sister, and a tidy room across the hall for myself. New updated bathrooms with tile showers and pretty design were a surprise in this motel which has been on the Pass-A-Grille strip for many years. An immaculate pool with comfortable chairs and umbrella tables came in handy after long walks on the beach. The motel has been family-owned since the 40s, and they make you FEEL like family when you stay with them. They offer so many tips about the area, and even came to our rescue to help when we misplaced an important item. All this at a reasonable price!!

If you love pets, they offer the house cat Blackie, who patrols the grounds, and occasionally Harley, a darling little dog who can be seen with the family in the motel office.

Bring your own shampoo and hairdryer, but soap is supplied. A great restaurant, the well-known Hurricane is next door with some of the wonderful FL grouper and crab cakes. Really a great place to stay if you love the small-town atmosphere of Pass-A-Grille.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family