“Excellent!”

Cafe Luna Bistro
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cozy bistro dining in the heart of St.Pete Beach, serving the freshest seafood & steaks. Eclectic menu to suit all tastes. Casual/upscale, with soft lighting & low music, perfect for a relaxed night out.
Orlando, Florida
“Excellent!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was traveling on business, dining alone. I am used to being escorted to the worst tables or asked to sit at the bar. Instead, I was graciously seated and offered a sweet table by the window.

The wine list is adequate with a nice range and the wines by the glass were quite acceptable. I was deciding between several options but the server highly recommended the grouper with crab. I was very skeptical. But as I wasn't that hungry I figured if I didn't like it, it was no big loss.

Unbelievable!!! The fish was so fresh and delicately cooked, there were lumps of fresh crab meat the size of my thumb! The sauce had a perfect balance of savory and acidity. I devoured the entire dish.

Only because it was so good, I ordered dessert. Again, the server suggested something I would never order.....the key lime pie dessert. I've tried KLP many times and I just dont get it. But, again, as I wasn't that hungry I figured what the heck, I'm don't really need it so whatever. Whatever indeed........I was madly scooping the last crumbs when the server checked back. It was served in a martini glass, crumbled graham crackers on the bottom, a rich sweet filling, tipped with key lime meringue and whipped cream. It was so good I almost ordered another!!

I look forward to trying something from there steak menu on my next visit.

1 Thank Giantess

Louisville, KY
“What is all the hype about?”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

After reading all the wonderful reviews about this place I couldn't wait to try it. I made a reservation for my party of 8 and off we went....to an empty restaurant. Our server was efficient, the food was good but not something that I would just have to go back to eat again. The atmosphere was so quiet with such tranquil music playing that it almost put you to sleep during your meal. I travel alot and love all kinds of food and eateries from hole in the wall digs to 5 star restaurants and this place didn't make the cut as something I would go home and tell my friends about. I thought maybe it was just me but my entire party wasn't impressed. I can't understand how this place is rated number 1.

Chicago
“Small and Charming”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

It was an interesting night for our party of eight with very varied appetites. Since it was Monday - it was not too busy although we asked for reservations because of the size of the restaurant. Service was good and the waiter very pleasant. Everyone seemed to like their food for the most part. Several had Italian which they said was good, the Red thai curry was well done, the spring rolls were good, the lump crab cakes were ok but I do not care for bread in my crab cakes so was glad that I only had one. The tomato bisque was good and the grouper with crab was also good. The food IMO is very rich. Our table shared the bread pudding which they said was good and they also had a key lime parfait which looked interesting. They serve wine and beer - not hard liquor but have an extensive wine collection and domestic and imported beers by the bottle.

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Good not Great”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We heard about this restaurant in our local paper and decided to give it a try. We were able to get a reservation within the hour that we called on a Friday night. They have a bar so we didn't have to bring our own wine. Shortly after being seated we got a basket of bread with an olive oil dipping dish. Too much freshly ground pepper overpowered the olive oil. For starters I had a delicious homemade tomato basil soup, rich and satisfying. For entrees, my husband ordered the Crab Cakes with a horseradish sauce and balsamic reduction. There were two large cakes which were very meaty and with little filler but not as tasty as he thought they should be. I ordered the Asian Sea Scallops. There were five large scallops served on a bed of rice with two different dipping sauces, a teriyaki and a sriacha aioli. The latter was extremely spicy and a delicious contrast to the meaty scallops. We had the one appetizer, one glass of wine, two entrees and no dessert. The bill (before tip) was $66.00. The cafe is on a corner with no view other than cars going by and although it's nice inside we'd rather spend that kind of money and be looking at a beach or the bay.

St. Pete Beach, Florida
“No. 1 for a reason- High quality and consistency”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife and I (and children on occasion) have dined at Cafe Luna for the past couple of years. We are in our mid-30's...from Northern NJ with a weekend home down here at the Beach. From Clearwater to St Pete Beach you will not find a restaurant that delivers time-after-time like Cafe Luna. An eclectic menu offering Poultry, Fish and Beef entrees and a nice mix of delicious appetizers. Tonight we had the Red Snapper and Salmon entrees, simple salads, brie appetizer, a bottle of Malbec and coffee...all under $100. All of it was excellent, appropriately prepared and portioned. I have had 75% of the entrees and I have yet to be disappointed. I have not written a review of this restaurant in quite some time but after tonight's dinner I felt compelled to do so. This place always delivers. Tom is a great server and the wait staff overall has been consistent over the past couple of years. The owner of this restaurant is hands on...always visible.. and he quite obviously cares about his product. Ambience is great...candles everywhere...soothing new age style music in the background...properly lit. Cafe Luna offers coupons on-line, which is such a great idea. Check Valpak, for instance. If your dining out and you want a great 'higher end' dining experience...without having to spend a fortune...Cafe Luna can not be beat. No 1 for a reason. We've tried them all in St Pete Beach.