“Nice, affordable stay, good for families on a budget”

Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina
GreenLeadersGold level
Alexandria, VA
“Nice, affordable stay, good for families on a budget”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I had very high expectations after reading the 4 and 5 star ratings from viewers on here. If I could rate it 3.5, then that's what it would be, but I can only give it a 3. This place was just meh for me. We are used to fancier places, so it was ok and decent for the price. However, I decided to be cheap for our summer vacation this year and sort of regret it.

The place is very clean, which is a plus. The kitchen is nice and new, but in the end we ate out more than we cooked. I did not like the 1990s tropical decor. Reminded me of the Golden Girls. Even cheap Holiday Inn and Comfort Inns have nicer and newer decor than this place. they need to stay with the neutrals and get rid of the floral prints, pink lamps, and fake flowers. Less is more. Nor did I like any of the pools. I did like the pier, which was lovely. The rooms themselves felt very cave-like. After a week here, it felt like we'd been here for a month.

This place is great for families on a budget. I noticed a lot of local Floridians staying here for a couple of days and people who drove from the Mid-west so this place is heaven for them. We flew in for a week, mainly to go to Lego Land for a couple of days, and I thought we would stay at the beach. However, when we were walking on the beach, I found myself always longingly looking at the Don Loews resort. I love resorts with huge fancy pools, so Bay Palms was not my type of place. For some reason I decided to go cheap via Expedia. We are used to price line or other deals where we get $100 rooms at fancy ocean front hotels in Miami, Cancun, or Puerto Rico, so this place did not do it for me. To be fair, I would have to say that places like Fort Myers, St. Pete's, or the west coast of Florida is not my cup of tea. Nor do I like places like VA Beach or Ocean City, MD where I live. I prefer Miami or the Caribbean When my son gets older, then it will be Asia and Europe. However, for its price, Bay Palms is good for families with a budget and people with dogs. I take 3 vacations a year where we fly out so I suppose I am spoiled rotten, but I work hard all year long so I like to spoil myself with prettier hotels than this. This place looked more like a motel or Comfort Inn type place with a kitchen.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose any room with bay view to get more bang for your buck. Don't use the washi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for your honest review. I apologize that you didn't have the large hotel experience with huge fancy pools that you hoping for. But none of our photos and descriptions portray that image. We are an exclusive boutique hotel of only 15 suites where people come to escape from the large hotels and hundreds of people in large fancy pools. Clearly you where in the wrong hotel in the wrong area.
Nevertheless, 99% of the people that do stay with us absolutely love it and become repeat guest. Just like the Hollywood celebrities and others, One day you will get tired of the large hotel hype , and will be looking for quiet exclusive resort to just get away, and we'll be here for you. I know it is not your cup of tea now, but maybe down the line. We'll be here for you and welcome you back in the future.

Robert Czyszczon
Plaza Beach Resorts - St Pete Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed in the Deluxe one bedroom suite, was like a little apt. very roomy,clean, quiet. The staff were top notch.This is now our place to stay when in St. Petes.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The resort was recently up dated and was very well done.The one bedroom unit was roomy and comfortable.Deck over looking the bay was quiet and relaxing.I would recommend this nice little retreat to family and friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Keedysville, Maryland
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Booked a night last minute. Customer service for booking and check in were so nice! We requested 2 cribs and they we in our room at check in and came with all the extras! Room was spotless and modern. I wish we would have stayed an extra day. It was so quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
paradise newfoundland
Reviewed June 7, 2012

The Bay Palms Resort was very clean, afordable, close to the beach and on a bus route. We enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: I loved staying there but I found the ice maker a bit noisy at nightime so I would suggest a room aw...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We live in the Tampa Bay area and wanted a quick get a way for the Memorial Day weekend. We had a wonderful time at Bay Palms! The rooms are newly renovated and were clean and beautiful. We had everything we needed! We got there a little early and were able to use the beach at the other hotel until our room was ready. We forgot floatation items for the beach, but the hotel had plenty for us to borrow=:) We loved everything about our stay there except the bed was a bit squeaky. Other than that, we had a fabulous time and will definitely come back with the kids for a family vacation there in the near future. We have stayed in several other hotels in the area before, and this one is definitely our new favorite! For all the amenities and the price it is a great value! We highly recommend!

Room Tip: Don't think any room would be bad=:)
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kris M
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, Owner at Bay Palms Waterfront Resort - Hotel and Marina, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your Wonderful review of the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort. I am so happy that you discovered our boutique resort and had a Great Experience!!! I’m also glad that you enjoyed our sister property on the beachside Plaza Beach Hotel-Beachfront Resort. Thank you for bringing to my attention that the bed was a bit squeaky, I had maintenance go there today to take care of it.

Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing you back many more times this summer and into the future.

Robert Czyszczon
Plaza Beach Resorts – St Pete Beach
Family Owned and Operated
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Bay Palms has become our new vacation destination of choice! The rooms are all newly renovated and very clean. The staff/service during our week's stay was both attentive and thoughtful. We especially enjoy Bay Palms Resort because it offers the quiet serenity of the bayside scenery for morning coffee and evening BBQs...not to mention GREEN FRIENDLY...what could be better? And it's only a short walk to the Plaza Beach Resort with access to another pool and all the beach front activities one could hope for. Very convenient to all points of interest both north and south along the gulf shores...restaurants, shopping, activities etc. We would definately return again and would recommend this resort to families and couples alike!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family