“Not good”

Snappers Sea Grill
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A big city bistro feel on a coastal barrio island with In-house cut steaks and fresh local Seafood, Snappers has long been known as a gem along the coast.
“Not good”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I don't understand how this place is rated #1 restaurant in St. Pete???? The staff is nice but they are clearly told to lie to customers about wait time. Call aheads & reservations are not allowed so I don't see how another reviewer was told people who had been seated before him had called ahead? I was there just last Wedensday. I didn't like my dish "Trigger Fish" & desert wast just average. Instead of waiting for 1 1/2 hrs (we were told 45 mins woukd be the wait) I wish I would have driven to Island Way Grill in Clearwater.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Ammona
mightycaseys, Owner at Snappers Sea Grill, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
we are very sorry that your meal was not a special one, I only wish we could have provided you with another selection to try. As for the wait times obviously no one in management of a restaurant would tell a staff member to lie about a wait time to a customer, this would have no benefit to us. Our wait time issues usually stem from the lack of volume of seats that we have in our place . A restaurant with lets say 50 tables or more can predict the wait times much more accurately than a small place . We have the problem of ( as their reffered to in the biz) campers, people who finish their meals and just sit and sit and sit. We can't ask them to leave but it creates a ripple effect throughout our waiting list and when you have a patio of hungry spring break families waiting we have problems. Again sorry for your issues you experienced on that evening.
Dan

Toronto, Canada
“Appalling service for an otherwise-good restaurant”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We selected Snappers for our Friday night dinner based on the generally good reviews from TripAdvisor.

Mistake No. 1. We didn't reserve ahead.
We arrived around 7.30 pm, with quite a few customers waiting who, like us, hadn't made a reservation. We had our name put on the list for a table and were told our wait would be twenty minutes. Fair enough, we thought, given the fact we hadn't reserved. There was no seating left inside the restaurant for waiting customers, so we were advised to wait outside.

Mistake No. 2. We waited outside.
The night was quite cold, but they had patio heaters going full blast which ameliorated the situation somewhat, so we settled down with a drink and waited. After 35 minutes, no one had approached us concerning our table so I went inside to enquire about the situation. I noticed people getting a table immediately on arrival ahead of others waiting, and I asked the receptionist about this. She told me that these customers had "phoned ahead," but on further questioning it became apparent that they had phoned AFTER our names had been placed on their list. I told her that only people who had made a reservation prior to our names being placed on the list ought legitimately be given a table ahead of us. She vehemently disagreed, saying that phoned-ahead reservations ALWAYS have priority over walk-ins.

Mistake No. 3. We continued to wait.
We should then have left, but I felt that finding an alternative would take even longer. After a 90 minute wait, we finally got a table.

The tables were very close together and the noise level was extremely high, precluding conversation in normal tones. Our waitress was friendly and helpful, but very rushed. After a fairly long wait, our appetizers arrived -- oysters on the half-shell which were delicious, accompanied with an excellent and reasonably-priced New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc ($34). My first choice for the main course, Chilean sea bass, was off. I settled for fried shrimp, good but not exceptional. My wife had crab cakes; she said that they were rather bland.

We didn't order dessert, so I can't comment on that. Again, it took quite a while waiting for the check.

I imagine that this restaurant might prove to be a pleasant dining experience on a slack night when not full and everything is on the menu, and the wait staff is unhurried. I was particularly put off by the receptionist, who, while not actually rude, was visibly indifferent to my complaints about the waiting after clearly forgetting about us. We shall not be returning to Snappers.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank restohawk
Hello and sorry for the frustration you encountered
I wanted to explain our call ahead system, we take a call ahead from the hotel conseirge , all that does is put their name on the bottom of the simple list we keep at the door as they walk over from the hotel. once on the list we just they just move up the list just like everyone else. we also have families who have been here in the past that send dad over to put their name on the list and go back to retrieve the family, this also creates the old ( I was here before them controversy)
again sorry about your wait
Halifax, Canada
“Favorite St. Pete's restaurant by far”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Nothing to dislike. Great atmosphere, excellent service, amazing seafood, good wine selection. We went twice during our holidays this year, and will look forward to coming here again next year!

Visited April 2013
Ishpeming, Michigan
“Seafood was great!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Mom and I ate here and it was Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!! Large shrimp scampi over risotto with Snapper...................mmmm

Visited March 2013
Huddersfield
“Snappers!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a lovely meal here with excellent and courteous service. One mistake our waiter made was to bring us two separate glasses of wine rather than a bottle of white wine, but as soon as he realised his mistake he took them away and returned with a chilled bottle, apologising for not checking first. The meal was tasty and plentiful and our styrofoam boxes supplied at the end of our meal when we couldn't finish it all made a very pleasant lunch the next day. It did make us think that the restaurant could probably reduce its portion sizes and thus its prices, but that's the US for you - everything is bigger! Highly recommended restaurant, though!

Visited February 2013