“Love the atmosphere, staff and food”
Review of Rick's Reef

Rick's Reef
Ranked #16 of 149 Restaurants in St. Pete Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A Casual Dining restaurant with a focus on fresh ingredients located on St. Pete Beach. Serving BREAKFAST, lunch, dinner and late night. Plenty of outdoor seating on the patio, and indoor seating, air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter. Serving fresh seafood, and home-made chicken, pork and beef selections, all prepared fresh, by hand, specifically for you. Sauces, vegetables and mixed dishes prepared daily, in-house, and always from fresh ingredients. The friendly staff, and regular local crowd, make it a fun place to hang out. With a full-service bar, and plenty of indoor and outdoor seating at the bar, there is something for everyone. The restaurant is family friendly, and dogs are welcome in the outdoor seating area.
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Every trip to St. Pete Beach lands us at Rick's Reef for a cocktail and usually food. Our visit today had family with us and we enjoyed the conversation, food and wonderful staff. The food was excellent along with a sample of the ribs which are to die for. I vote to put on the menu!!! Thank you Rick.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I've found the one place at the beach where I want to be a regular customer. Mahi and grouper dinners are outstanding, great fish tacos, unbelievable macaroni and cheese with lobster tossed through it on Saturday. Casual atmosphere, really good easy-listening live music in the evening. Creamed chipped beef on toast with breakfast potatoes on the morning menu. Just a really nice place to hang out with some great food at reasonable prices.

Miles and Mary from St. Louis and St. Pete Beach

2  Thank Miles C
Reviewed November 15, 2013

After eating at our resort for most of the week, we ventured out and stopped for breakfast at Rick's. Loved it! Great beach atmosphere, great food, awesome staff. We also had dinner there...smoked fish spread and jumbo fried shrimp. Yum!

2  Thank sunbelt64
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Folks who frequent beaches usually look for a special place to eat or drink. When they find a good one, they tell everybody, especially their friends. After a few visits, these good places become their favorites, to which they return again and again.

Rick’s Reef in St. Pete Beach is this kind of place. You go there once and you get a certain feel of the place, and then it is a worthy candidate for telling others. This small beachy location is very accessible, right on Gulf Blvd, and has decent parking. I have gone there for years, when it was known by many different names, but this is the first time a new owner spent some money on fixing up the place, making needed improvements, brightening the dining room, and classing up the bathrooms—a nice touch.

The atmosphere at Rick’s Reef is not just casual, it’s downright friendly. There is an L shaped dining deck outside, concealed from busy Gulf Bl by a half-wall and large shrubs and palms, and an attractive air-conditioned dining area inside. A circular bar opens to the deck and to the inside. Although I didn’t sit at the bar, those who did seemed relaxed and content.

At Rick’s Reef you’re welcomed like they really ARE happy to see you, happy to tell you about their great food, and happy to serve it with a real smile. That’s not always easy to find these days, but on my visits to Rick’s, it seemed to be guaranteed.

Now to the food. On two of my visits I ordered the Pork Toro sandwich. The menu states that it is “Spicy Pork Toro topped with caramelized onions & Swiss cheese served on a Ciabatta Roll.” It is excellent—flavorful with a nice sauce. All the sandwiches are served with your choice of Shipwreck Fries or Tropical Slaw, and although you can save some money by leaving off the slaw or fries, you might be cheating yourself, because the fries are homemade out of real potatoes. Rick and his cooks place a potato in a little machine, and out come long pieces that are immediately fried and served to the customer. Once you taste them, you’ll know there’s a big difference between real and frozen! The slaw is cut coarsely and is flavorful.

My friend had the fish taco sandwich which I will order on my next visit. I looked around at other diners. They looked content and all their food looked like things I want to order on my return visits. Check out the website menu—it’s colorful and everything it features will be something you’ll want to try too.

I live fifty miles away, but when I’m in the neighborhood, I’m glad to return again to Rick’s Reef. So will you!

Dr. Andy LePage
Wedding Officiant

1  Thank THEMARRYINGMAN
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was our third visit to Rick's Reef. We just love it. It has such a local flair and a relaxed atmosphere. Try the mile high meatloaf and mashed potatoes if you need some comfort food. My son loves the fish tacos and always gets the same thing because he says it's the best on the beach. The outdoor porch area is great! The whole place is clean, clean, clean! And dog friendly too!

1  Thank janie b