“GET TO RICK'S REEF!”

Rick's Reef
Ranked #16 of 150 Restaurants in St. Pete Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A Casual Dining restaurant with a focus on fresh ingredients located on St. Pete Beach. Serving BREAKFAST, lunch, dinner and late night. Plenty of outdoor seating on the patio, and indoor seating, air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter. Serving fresh seafood, and home-made chicken, pork and beef selections, all prepared fresh, by hand, specifically for you. Sauces, vegetables and mixed dishes prepared daily, in-house, and always from fresh ingredients. The friendly staff, and regular local crowd, make it a fun place to hang out. With a full-service bar, and plenty of indoor and outdoor seating at the bar, there is something for everyone. The restaurant is family friendly, and dogs are welcome in the outdoor seating area.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Folks who frequent beaches usually look for a special place to eat or drink. When they find a good one, they tell everybody, especially their friends. After a few visits, these good places become their favorites, to which they return again and again.

Rick’s Reef in St. Pete Beach is this kind of place. You go there once and you get a certain feel of the place, and then it is a worthy candidate for telling others. This small beachy location is very accessible, right on Gulf Blvd, and has decent parking. I have gone there for years, when it was known by many different names, but this is the first time a new owner spent some money on fixing up the place, making needed improvements, brightening the dining room, and classing up the bathrooms—a nice touch.

The atmosphere at Rick’s Reef is not just casual, it’s downright friendly. There is an L shaped dining deck outside, concealed from busy Gulf Bl by a half-wall and large shrubs and palms, and an attractive air-conditioned dining area inside. A circular bar opens to the deck and to the inside. Although I didn’t sit at the bar, those who did seemed relaxed and content.

At Rick’s Reef you’re welcomed like they really ARE happy to see you, happy to tell you about their great food, and happy to serve it with a real smile. That’s not always easy to find these days, but on my visits to Rick’s, it seemed to be guaranteed.

Now to the food. On two of my visits I ordered the Pork Toro sandwich. The menu states that it is “Spicy Pork Toro topped with caramelized onions & Swiss cheese served on a Ciabatta Roll.” It is excellent—flavorful with a nice sauce. All the sandwiches are served with your choice of Shipwreck Fries or Tropical Slaw, and although you can save some money by leaving off the slaw or fries, you might be cheating yourself, because the fries are homemade out of real potatoes. Rick and his cooks place a potato in a little machine, and out come long pieces that are immediately fried and served to the customer. Once you taste them, you’ll know there’s a big difference between real and frozen! The slaw is cut coarsely and is flavorful.

My friend had the fish taco sandwich which I will order on my next visit. I looked around at other diners. They looked content and all their food looked like things I want to order on my return visits. Check out the website menu—it’s colorful and everything it features will be something you’ll want to try too.

I live fifty miles away, but when I’m in the neighborhood, I’m glad to return again to Rick’s Reef. So will you!

Dr. Andy LePage
Wedding Officiant

1  Thank THEMARRYINGMAN
Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was our third visit to Rick's Reef. We just love it. It has such a local flair and a relaxed atmosphere. Try the mile high meatloaf and mashed potatoes if you need some comfort food. My son loves the fish tacos and always gets the same thing because he says it's the best on the beach. The outdoor porch area is great! The whole place is clean, clean, clean! And dog friendly too!

1  Thank janie b
Reviewed November 11, 2013

A great casual and tropical atmosphere. Food is fresh with great prices. You can make it a quick visit or stay till closing, your not rushed out the door.

1  Thank Frances B
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We ate at Ricks Reef on/about November 7th-8th for lunch. Don't waste your money. Service was slow for the amount of patrons and food was not what you want to eat on vacation. Locals can have it! Beer was not even cold! I too question the legitimacy of the folks who posted on TA saying this was an excellent place.Will not be back

3  Thank lazydaze44
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

After reading the rash of excellent reviews on t/a between November 5thand 7th we were coerced to stop in for our last meal at St Pete Beach. We both ordered the Mahi Mahi. The fries were cold,soggy and over cooked. Way too salty! The music was very loud such that the server had to yell in our ear to hear. The prices were quite high in our opinion considering portion size, quality and atmosphere. This place obviously gets a lot of regulars, felt more like a dive bar to me. Smoking is allowed which shocked us. Nothing like a good dose of second hand smoke with a crappy meal. We used to come here regularly on our annual vacation to SPB, and we were always pleased. Not anymore. You have to question the legitimacy of 12 reviews all excellent over a 3 day period. Save your money and go to one of the other top 5 restaurants. Cafe luna next door or snappers down the street are much better choices imo.

1  Thank seymorepe