“Many thanks to the great staff at Sabal Palms Inn.....again!”
Review of Sabal Palms Inn

Sabal Palms Inn
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We have just returned from another fabulous week at Sabal Palms Inn. Each and every time we visit, GM Eddie goes out of his way to make our vacation the best that it can be. Our room is always IMPECCABLY clean, and the staff goes above and beyond the call of duty to assist all guests with anything they might need during their stay. We have stayed in many beachside hotels along the east coast and have yet to find one that has met the standards of Sabal Palms. Linens are always pure white and plentiful. Bedding and carpets are always clean and fresh with none of the mustiness often associated with seaside accomodations. Kitchen equipment in the efficiency is always clean and adequate for the amount of food prep most people want to do on vacation. While the building is not new, simple upgrades and a high level of maintenance makes the inn very comfortable. If you are looking for fancy, and want to fight the crowds, stay up the street at one of the huge hotels. If you want comfort combined with a great location and a warm, welcoming staff, stay at Sabal Palms. Thanks again Eddie, Yudit, Emiglio, Anna...and especially Joe....for creating this little piece of heaven on the beach in PAG!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jamaicadaydreamin
SabalPalmsInn, Owner at Sabal Palms Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Jamaicadaydreamin -thank you for taking the time to post your review of Sabal Palms. We always say we have the hardest working staff and really appreciate when they are acknowledged in reviews. They strive to make sure rooms are perfectly clean and guests are happy as can be. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

What a great find! Staff was extremely friendly and helpful at all times, the room was very clean, and oh yes, it was right across the street from the beach! They even had beach chairs to borrow, on-site laundry facilities and kayak rentals.

My sister stayed up the beach at the Don and had a room the size of a closet, for about 3x the cost. But I know where I'm staying in Pass A Grille, and that's the Sabal Palms...can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom R

Tom R - thank you for your review! Yes we now offer kayak and paddleboard rentals so I'm happy to hear that you took advantage of getting out on the Gulf on a kayak. We look forward to seeing you again next year as well.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I booked Sabal on the advice of TA. We needed to get away.

Sabal really shouldn't be ranked #2 for St. Pete. Although it is an excellent location, there are some things that I wished was different.

The room: Tiny. Double bed. We aren't big people, but we're use to sleeping a larger bed, so that was tough. Also, the mattress was like sleeping on pillows. Way to soft. I know Ikea and everything was from that store. Not that I have a big problem with that, but some people may want to know. I thought the plates needed better cleaning. It could be they're not washed in between vacationers, mainly because there is no dishwasher. We cold easily see that the mirror was dirty. When I dropped something on the floor, I went to wipe it up. The kitchen floor could use a good hand cleaning. Also, the bathroom.

The beach chairs: if you're over the age of 40 be prepared to roll out of your chair. They are just way too low. I appreciate that they even have beach chairs, but for older people they're really tough.

The towels: they were so thin and tattered. I really wish they would do something about this. They were very rough on sunburned skin.

The good: excellent location, walk across the street to the beach, and quiet. Judy is great. Always asking if we needed something. Very sweet person.

We loved Pass-a-Grille, but not sure we would book again at Sabal. They have another property, Coconuts, but didn't get a chance to see that. They also acquired another property, but have no idea what the name is or what condition that property is in.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank itsconnie

itsconnie - thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed Pass-a-Grille, it is definitely a special place. Judy is a stellar staff member. Her goal is always to make sure guests are happy and comfortable with their rooms. The problems you mentioned are highly unusual as Judy and the rest of our staff works very hard to maintain the highest level of cleanliness standards. We are always updating and upgrading towels, beach chairs and even the bicycle beach cruisers that we offer at no charge to guests. We do hope you'll visit Pass-a-Grille again and try our other property Coconut Inn or give Sabal Palms another go.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We have been returning to Sabal Palms for several years now - every chance we get - and are treated like - and feel like family! The whole staff, Yudit, Emigdio, Anna, Eddie and Joe are the
nicest and most welcoming folks. Not to mention the the comfortable, spotlesssly clean rooms
and grounds(they even rake the sand around the walkways)! It's also right across from the beach and we can walk to everything. So comfortable - we always hate to leave and can't wait to go back! We love you all!

Room Tip: All rooms we've had are nice and have efficiencies so you can save money by cooking meals if des...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Judy S - thank you so much for your great review of Sabal Palms. We really appreciate our regular guests and I know I can speak for my entire wonderful staff when I say we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

On the recommendation of a friend, my wife and I headed to Pass-a-Grille for 5 nights over Easter break. I can't say enough about this lovely town and its beach, especially the quieter section above 22nd. However, the hotel that we booked was a surprise (and not a good one). We had selected Sabal Palms based on the glowing reviews on Tripadvisor. I am usually skeptical of the extremely negative reviews because they sometimes reflect someone with an ax to grind. In this case, most of the poor ratings were on target.
On arriving we were fortunate to encounter the "cleaning" lady on the porch as there is no one on site to check the guests in. There is a shack in the back with a phone connected to the other property. I was somewhat surprised at the shoddy condition of the sitting area on the patio and the tiny size of the pool or hot tub where guests were huddled in very close proximity. An influx of families with young children made it a moot point. We had come for the beach anyway, so It was easy to overlook these disappointments. Not so easily overlooked was the room.
For over $200 a night, I expected more. My first impression was of a 1940's motel. It had been painted; it did have a small Ikea kitchen. The rest was very do-it-yourself construction: linoleum floors laid over existing floors and poorly caulked, and very dirty wall to wall carpet. I know that the management has responded to other reviews with reference to awards it has received for cleanliness. This was my experience. After going for a run, I took a shower, walked to the bedroom area, grabbed suntan lotion, returned to the shower, and began applying the lotion to my legs with my foot on the edge of the tub. I was stunned when I moved my foot. My foot left a black mark. My wife ended up cleaning the kitchen floor with wipes from Publix, and it was very dirty. On further inspection, we realized the dishes and glasses were dirty as well. In five days we never saw or heard a vacuum and never had a soap dish wiped though we tipped her each day. We did get clean towels (very thin ones) but no tissues. The futon was ... we just kept a sheet over that.
Lastly, the view. We had a room that faced the side street. There were plastic chairs outside, but our sitting area was also the entrance to another room. Midway through our stay, a family moved in with 3 young girls. The balcony became a clothes line for sheets, towels, sports equipment, and clothing. Despite rules at the hotel about hanging items over the railings, this persisted until we left. In addition, we could never open our blinds as the neighbors passed by both windows all day and night. On 2 nights the parents must have left the girls alone, as loud banging and door slamming started at about 10.
So, the question that ran through my mind for 5 days was, "Who are these people writing the glowing reviews?" Many of the guests seem to be regulars on extended stays. They insist on the Gulfside rooms: 1 and 3. They make friends with other regulars ( and many of the other guests were charming). They have lowered their expectations and provide their own beach chairs, tissues, etc. This is NOT the second best hotel at St. Pete's Beach. This place is a step above a trailer park.
Rather than justifying themselves with references to other reviews and specious awards they have received, the management should take a good look at the property and its maintenance. You have a great location, but this is a third rate property.

Room Tip: Stay in the front, rooms 1-3. The other rooms have issues with the "pool" noise in the bac...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BucksCountyWanderer

BucksCountywan..thank you for your review of our property. Sabal Palms is very proud of it's staff who makes every effort to make sure guests are happy and comfortable in their rooms. They would have been more than happy to address any problems or human oversights you may have encountered - had you asked. We are glad that you were not disturbed by the sound of a vacuum however it doesn't mean there wasn't one being used. We are very proud of our Superior Small Lodging White Glove Awards and it is the standard that our staff strives to meet 365 days a year. Our guests - the many regular ones you mention and the many new ones have not lowered their expectations as you suggest- they just don't make it difficult for our staff to meet them.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Our cousins stayed here while we stayed in St. Pete's Beach and we wish we would have stayed here! The room was very clean and spacious. The staff was extremely friendly/sweet and helpful. Love the giant hot tub! A great place to stay and enjoy some quiet privacy! Next year we will stay at The Sabal Palms Inn!

Room Tip: Any room looks good here!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

KT - thanks for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to having you stay with us in the very near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are looking for a quaint, friendly place to stay this is It! Just finished our 9th year 2 week visit and are booked for next year already. We are not the only ones who return year after year. We love catching up with friends we met in previous years. We love the pool area where you can tuck yourself if it's a windy or cool beach day. The accommodations are clean and the staff is outstanding. Yudit (Judy) is wonderful making sure you have everything you need. Eddie, Anna, Emigdio and Judy are always willing to fix any problem you might have. We love that the room is always unlocked and waiting for us when we arrive. Everyone makes you feel like family. Thanks for another great stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Mimi3296 - thank you for such a glowing review! We are very proud of our staff and proud to have such amazing guests such as yourselves that return year after year.