“A Great Time at the Sandpiper”

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Cleveland, Ohio
“A Great Time at the Sandpiper”
Reviewed July 25, 2007

I visited the Tradewinds Sandpiper from July 4-10, 2007. I learned a great deal from these reviews and forums, so I wanted to make sure that I wrote my own to assist future travelers. Let me start by saying that I am a 28-year-old married woman and was traveling with another female friend. We had very few expectations and really just wanted a place to relax and enjoy ourselves. We had a difficult time choosing between the Sandpiper and the Island Grande, but eventually chose the Sandpiper due to the lower price and more adult atmosphere. We were extremely pleased with our decision!! We ventured over the Island Grande, but found its vast size and more family-oriented environment less appealing. It really depends on your travel party. While not in our cabana on the beach we really enjoyed the adult-only pool. We also loved being able to walk everywhere. We did drive to the grocery store and liquor store, but one could walk if you didn’t have a car. Regarding the resort fee: We paid a $15 per day resort fee (plus tax), which we found to be reasonable. It was optional, but we took full advantage of the beach cabanas and wireless internet. We also had a car so parking was included in the fee. We were told that parking would have been $10 per day if we opted out so it was a no-brainer for us. We read some reviews that the fee was $25 per day and we also saw the same rate in some of our check-in information. I’m not sure if it changes with the seasons, so it may be $25 during certain months. I would suggest inquiring at check-in.

Following are a list of the restaurants (all within walking distance) that we visited during our stay.

Skidders – We went for dinner. Their food was average, but there was a large selection that could please everyone. After reading all of the reviews I had to get the pizza. It was good, but not fantastic and would probably venture to one of the many other options if I were to visit again.
Bella Habana – We went for their 2-4-1 Mojitos & Margaritas. Very tasty and well worth the price.
Shells – We went for dinner and drinks due to their 2-4-1 special on select drinks at the bar all night. Their food was average. We ate at the bar and ordered the stuffed tilapia, clam chowder, and fried zucchini. We thought it was worth it for the drink specials. Two glasses of wine for $5. It’s hard to beat that!
Agave – An authentic Mexican restaurant. We both ordered four hard tacos along with rice and beans. Excellent!! I highly recommend if you like Mexican food.
Mad Fish – A fine dining restaurant with excellent food. The entrees are around $25-$30 each and include a salad. Entrees portions are very substantial. We had the grouper & tuna and both were fantastic. We also made room for dessert and enjoyed the key lime pie and warm cookies with small banana milkshakes. I would highly recommend this place if you’re looking for a nice dinner.
Snappers – Affiliated with Mad Fish ownership. Cheaper than Mad Fish. We had the grouper and coconut shrimp and once again, were very satisfied. We also really enjoyed their chipotle hummus served with flatbread.
Piper’s Patio – We ate lunch here 5 out of 7 days. It is conveniently located adjacent to the main pool and offers a relaxing atmosphere with reasonably prices. They have a variety of food options and the food was good, but not great. Note: Although they are hard to resist, don’t bother with the fruity drinks. They’ll really rack up your bill at $7.75 apiece and they contain very little alcohol. Our lunch bill was cut in ½ when we opted for water instead.
The Flying Bridge – Located at the Island Grande. We didn’t like is as much as Piper’s Patio. It had nearly the same menu, but Piper’s Patio was more relaxing. It was also not as convenient because we were staying at the Sandpiper.
The Blue Room – Okay food, but very lackadaisical service. Their menu items included typical lunch choices such as burgers, sandwiches, and salads. It is located across the street from the Sandpiper. We chose this place simply to get off the property, but would probably opt for Piper’s Patio instead.
Jimmy B’s & Ricky’s T’s – Neither were quite our scene. On the two nights we stopped in (early evening), they offered no drink specials, but great people watching.
Cadillac Jacks – This place was a little weird. We were the only two people in the restaurant/lounge, but we attribute that to our early arrival (6 pm). They had a fairly extensive martini list so we decided to try one and then headed on our way. We were told they have some great live entertainment, but we didn’t witness it ourselves.

I hope this helps!

• Liked — Location, Cabanas, Price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
10 Thank mousemott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
Orlando
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Avoid this place at all costs!! My fiancee and I stayed here for just one night in late May. Just a couple of days later, I woke to 30 bites all over my body (he had none). I thought they may have been mosquito bites until I received more a couple days after the first attack. Since then, once or twice a week, I wake up with bites. They itch like crazy and leave terrible marks. Terminix has been here twice and will be here again this week.

If you do stay here: check the bed for infestation (google bed bugs) and you'll see what to look for. Do not put your suitcase on or near the bed.

Be forewarned: one tiny bed bug can cost a fortune. They are very difficult to get rid of, even if you use an exterminator. You will have to toss out your mattress, boxspring, dressers and nightstands that are within 100 feet of your bed. You'll have to sterilize all clothing within the same distance. You'll become zombie-like because of the loss of sleep. And you'll always feel as if you have bugs crawling all over you (even if you dont)

I'm over the stigma. I, like most adults, thought only dirty people get bedbugs. How wrong I was.

• Disliked — The Bugs, obviously
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
10 Thank IHaveBedBugsNow
Spring Hill, FL
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Twenty years ago my 87 year old, widowed Dad, wanted to see once again, his "childhood sweetheart", who we discovered was living in St Pete. They had been "sweethearts" from their grammar school days - attending dancing school together, etc. Their Fathers owned businesses side by side in the famous old Fanuel Hall Marketplace in Boston, Massachusetts. They grew up, became engaged - in fact, I still wear the signet ring she gave my Dad in 1921, for his 21st birthday. But, in those days family "obligations came first. Her widowed Grandmother became ill and she was sent to live with and care for her. Family duties forced them apart. Some years went by and their lives went in opposite directions. But here we were, my Dad & I, flying from Boston, Massachusetts to St Pete for this reunion. By chance, I booked a suite for us in the Sandpiper - it was beautiful - my Dad just loved the suite and all of its amenities!! When not with his "sweetheart" he stood by the hour just gazing out at the beach, the Gulf, and the stars, from his balcony. He spent his days holding hands w/his 80+ year old "sweetheart" and I spent mine "wallowing" in the beauty of the beach. They found themselves in love again - but, she was in a wheelchair and Daddy was having difficulty walking - they talked of marriage but, decided it would not be "practical", because if either of them fell, neither could help the other up - a decision which made us all chuckle!! Their "romance " continued by phone and mail until my Dad's death in 1990.

I NEVER forgot the Sandpiper and the pure pleasure I found staying there (I even have a tee shirt with the picture of the Sandpiper on it, which I still wear after all this time!!) So, when my "new" husband wanted us to go somewhere "special" for our 5th anniversary, it was the Sandpiper we chose, as he had heard me tell the romantic story of my stay there, w/my Dad. We had five absolutely glorious days, which led to my husband's decision that the next visit would be for a full week. And that is exactly what we did this year, for our sixth anniversary. Again we loved our Gulf front suite, the beautiful beach, the warm, friendly, smiling staff, our relaxing meals on Piper's Patio, with it's terrific food and the most delightful waitresses and our "special" anniversary dinner at Bermuda's!! Perfect for a celebration - atmosphere, wait staff, gourmet food and outstanding presentation!!

It is without hesitation, that I say we shall be back again next year, for our seventh anniversary, and hopefully, many more in the following years. It certainly has top priority in my book of memories!!!

Joy (Mrs. Thomas) Straz
2385 Whisper Walk Drive
Spring Hill, Florida 34606
352-666-2622

8 Thank Peppa23
Glasgow (Scotland)
Reviewed July 9, 2007

My family (2 x adults, one 12 year old and one 8 year old) stayed at the Sandpiper for 7 nights in mid-April. After two weeks in Orlando, we needed somewhere to chill out and enjoy the sun. The Sandpiper provided everything we could have wished for.

Prior to departure, we upgraded to a Sea View room. Upon arrival, our room was double-booked, so the hotel immediately upgraded us again to a Sea View Suite at no extra charge. The room was fantastic - very spacious and always clean.

The hotel like our room was always immaculately presented. The outside areas, were well watered and looked after. The pool was also cleaned daily and the hotel's beach, which has ample cabanas and beds, was cleaned each evening.

We did not use the hotel's restaurant, as the surrounding areas has ample restaurants to cater for all tastes.

All in all a great holiday and a hotel that we would definitely go back to.

• Liked — Spaciousness
  • Disliked — Some loud music from neighbouring hotel on theme nights.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank userma3573
Belfast. Northern Ireland.
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Tradewinds Sandpiper. Date 19th to 26th June. We have been staying here for the last 12 years. When we book, we always make sure the sandpiper is one of the hotels on offer.When in orlando, with all the hustle and bustle that goes on we are so glad to get down to the sandpiper for a well earned rest. The setting of the hotel is ideal, swimming pools, the closeness of the beach and of course the pipers patio and pool bar when you need cool drinks and refreshments. The staff are great, the hospitality excellent and the cleanliness of the hotel is a tribute to all those who work there. I forgot to mention one other place, the hotel shop, its always needed especially by my better half and my daughter. this year we had our second daughter and her fiance with us and they loved the hotel, they will be hoping to come back next year. signing off now, but hope to be back january or april 2008.

3 Thank truckerunit
Tampa
Reviewed June 28, 2007

Check in was easy, the room and hotel was very clean, staff was extremely friendly and hospitable. Loved the weekend and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — The weather!
  • Disliked — Not much!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tuffguy216
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 19, 2007

What a trip. We actually had reservation at another hotel and after we arrived we were ready to leave. It was horrible. We called Tradewinds and they booked us a suite for the next four nights. We were so happy there and will never stay at another place when we are visiting St. Pete Beach. Everything about the place was wonderful. The room was beautiful and had everything we needed. The staff was great. We don't have one complaint. Everyone was always willing to help and always had a smile on their face. The whole resort was kept up so nice. They were always cleaning and kept if up so nice. I would recommed this place to anyone. It is our families favorite vacation spot.
Jill Schmidt