“worst hotel stay ever”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Tampa,FL
“worst hotel stay ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2006

At check in they were unable to find our reservation and took appox. 35 minutes to check us in. The desk staff did not seem to know what they were doing and kept going into a back room and calling others on the phone to help them.The rooms were small, but newly updated.
The next day after being by the pool for a few hours I went to my room to get ready for a 2pm appointment. My room key would not work. The desk staff told me my room key did not work because they were changing my room and that my new room was not ready but, I could pack-up my family of five and they would store my belonings down in the lobby. After talking with the desk staff for several minutes, they finally let me stay in my present room. They gave me a new room key, I went back to my room, and the key did not work, this happened 4 more times. I finally spoke with the manger who was little help, blaming the problem on the reservation staff or my cell phone (which was locked in my room) being to close to the key. I finally did get into my room on the fifth key and telling them that perhaps it was the lock and not the key but, I missed my 2pm appiontment. That day our room was not made up until after 5pm. The next day we were locked out of our room two more times.
Upon check out we were charged for all the items in the mini bar. We had not eaten any of the snacks. They did credit out bill for the mini bar items. I spoke with the manger and told them I did not want to be charged for one of the three nights we stayed. They would only give us either a half day credit or a free night stay on our next visit. He said he did not feel our experience warranted a full night credit. After debating this with the manger for appox. 25 minutes, I took my half day credit and left. This is not the kind of service I would expect from a resort hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank cmmej

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
Lake Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2006

This was one of my most pleasant "mini-vacations" in a very long time. When I was searching for a place to stay on St Pete Beach, I came across an ad and called this resort. The person at the other end described the place in much detail, of which I decided to try it out. Upon entering the lobby, I was greeted with smiles and asked if I could be helped. My room was not ready yet but I was asked to furnish a cell # so that I could be reached when it was. It was not very long (apx 1 hr) when they called. I returned to the resort, got my key and proceeded to my room. I was MOST impressed. The room was exceptionally clean, bright and welcoming. In trying to find my room, I took a wrong turn, but was immediately helped and escorted to my room by one of the staff. Every staff member I met or passed, smiled and said Hi. It was so nice to be around such people, they made you feel at home. The resort was beautifully located on the beach and I spent much time in the wooden swing on the beach watching the people and birds go about enjoying themselves. I couldn't physically walk the beach, but I felt close enough in that swing watching others doing so. I would highly recommend this Resort to those who enjoy the "resort ambiance" and the amenities that go with it. Great place to go have fun or just relax.

7 Thank Nancy M
Chicagoland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2006

My wife, 10 year old daughter, 6 month old son and I just returned last Wednesday from a 5 day extended Memorial Day weekend getaway at Tradewinds Sandpiper. Overall, we were quite impressed with this property given the great deal we got on our vacation package through Southwest Vacations.

This property just underwent a complete remodel and they did a fantastic job. The lobby has marble floors and granite countertops plus a coffee/snack bar that features Starbuck's coffee. The front desk staff were all pretty good - a couple could use a lesson or two in setting priorities (i.e. continuing to make copies while guests were left waiting for service at the counter). All of the housekeeping staff we encountered throughout our stay were very friendly and helpful. The entire property was very clean.

The rooms were very nice as well. We had a standard courtyard view room that contained 2 double beds, a round glass-top table and 2 chairs, an armoire with TV, drawers for clothes and a mini-bar. The room also had a small kitchenette alcove with sink, mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The countertop was granite - such a nice touch. Although the room was fully carpeted, it had a nice marble border. The bathroom was a nice size and had marble floor and granite vanity with storage. It had a standard tub/shower combo. Overall, we found the room to be quite small for a family of 4. It would have been perfect outfitted with a king bed for just one couple. We also had a crib in there too, which didn't help the space issue. Tip: some of the standard courtyard view rooms actually have a nice view of the gulf. I requested such a room by calling the reservations department after I had booked the trip and was pleasantly surprised to have my request honored.

The pool area was nice, but crowded due to the holiday weekend throngs. The hotel does have an adults only pool and deck area that is completely off limits to children. It looked nice, but we didn't get to enjoy it because we had the kids with us on this trip. The beach area was very nice. We utilized the cabanas a couple of the days. Special thanks to Penny and Peter in the cabana hut. They are great folks who went out of their way to make our time on the beach special.

We only had one meal on the property and it was just sandwiches on the pool deck from the patio grill restaurant. Everything we had was good.

The only negative aspect we encountered had nothing really to do with the Sandpiper. The Howard Johnson's next door has a beach bar called Ricky T's. The first night we were there, the band played (loudly) until around 2am. Our room just happened to be situated near Ricky T's, so it was quite hard to ignore the noise. If we had been traveling without the kids, I'm sure we would have been over there enjoying the live entertainment. But since we had the kids, we were going to bed relatively early.

Overall, this property exceeded expectations and we would stay here again.

10 Thank pvfan03
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

Just returned to Ireland from a weeks stay in the tradewinds..Hotel was lovely, staff very friendly and very approchable.. Rooms were small but nice and very clean..Facilities were excellent aswell from the Sandpiper to the Island Grand..Would definately recommend and most definately go back myslef.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2006

My husband and i spent two nights at this hotel while attending a wedding in Saint Pete's. We were here May 12-14, 2006. Upon arrival at the resort we found we had been upgraded to a courtyard suite room which was a very nice surprise!! We had a beautiful room on the ground floor. We walked right out on to the adult only pool which was perfect as we were traveling without our children.

The room had a king size bed in the bedroom, a large bathroom, a small kitchen with a full size fridge, built in burners, microwave, toaster, kitchen sink and all the dishes and cutlery you needed. it also had a sitting area with a couch, 2nd tv, table and chairs. Right outside our patio doors was an outside table and 4 chairs. Even though the room was right off the parking garage and pool it was very quiet.

The hotel itself is gorgeous with nice flora and water features. We enjoyed taking a long walk along the beach Saturday morning then coming back to the resort purchasing bagels and coffee from the coffee bar in the lobby and eating them on our patio. Because we were there for a wedding we didn't have a lot of time to spend in the hotel and therefore did not purchase the expllorer pass, however had we been spending more time at the hotel we would have as it seemed like a good deal.

We walked down to the Grand and had a quck look but did not have a chance to use any of there facilities it also looked like a nice property.

We also had lunch at the Cuban restauant located across the road from this hotel, it was excellent. The two for one Mojitios were very, very good especially on a hot afternoon. i would highly recommend both this restaurant and hotel!!

9 Thank abbyndrewmom
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2006

My daughter and I took a quick break from her wedding planning and college graduation festivities. The single girls last hurrah we called it!
We could not have asked for a more perfect vacation than what we
experienced at the Tradewinds Sandpiper Resort.
The staff, the accomedations, the food, and especially the beach,
just EVERYTHING was perfect.
I have, and I will continue to recommend this spot.
We felt so safe and secure, I have no hesitations to
coming back solo.
I'll always be grateful for the time I was able to
spend with my daughter at such a beautiful
location.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2006

My husband and I with our two children just got back from a three night stay over Mother's day weekend at the Sandpiper. What a great hotel!!!! The staff were so friendly everywhere we turned. The newly remodeled suite was tastefully decorated and included a beautiful view of the beach from the balcony with an equally beautiful view of the bays from the front window/bedroom. We enjoyed the beach so much (which was only steps away from the hotel!) that we didn't get to take advantage of the activities at the Grand. By buying an Explorer Pass for only $15/night you can enjoy any of the activities at the Grand as well as get free phone calls, parking, etc. There is also a very nice gift shop on the premises and pool right on the beach. This hotel was A+ and we intend to vacation here again often. I will be adding some photos later of the wonderful views from our room.

9 Thank ctsoconnor