“Guy Harvey Outpost is making all the right moves!”

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
“Guy Harvey Outpost is making all the right moves!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

Usually stay at the Tradewinds but wanted to try the Guy Harvey Outpost this trip. Have made many changes all to the good here. The beach area has transformed the most. Cabanas and seating areas with fire pits is the first thing I noticed. Very comfortable and the staff is accommodating. The pool bar is staffed with great bartenders and the food is fairly good. Servers are quick and efficient. Victor is are bartender. He is from the Boston area and is a riot. Love his hat and Boston accent. Told him don't ever loose the hat. It's his brand!!!! I love characters an Victor is definitely a character. The view is best at sunset and this place is family oriented. Kids are having a ball at the pool and plenty for them to do. Overall I give this a 8 out of 10. Make sure you try the Rum fish restaurant. The aquarium is worth your time and the meals is not bad at all.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kevin S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

My 10 year old son and I just stayed at Guy Harvey for 4 nights. The front desk staff is always friendly and helpful with all your questions & needs. The rooms are cleaned before lunch time. They give you more towels than any hotel I have ever stayed at. The beds are comfy and they give you 5 pillows on each bed. The rooms are immaculate. They have first run movies on demand! New flat screen tv's. Fast & friendly room service. The best WiFi connection of any 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in. I Never lost connection! We stayed on the 4th floor with a million dollar Gulf view.
I must say all of the guests here are all Happy and truly enjoying themselves. If you are looking for a 5 star resort, this is not your stuffy upscale place. This is for families who want to truly enjoy their hard earned vacation. The families that come here get every moment out of the vacation experience. I have never in my life stayed at a resort where everyday the families are having fun. They are enjoying their children and actually interested in speaking with other people and their children. These people actually want you know where you come from? This is a resort that all other resorts wish they could be when they grow up. The kids are outside all day and night with their parents. They have an activities director. When we were there a wonderful mom and a different dad entertained over 15 children with easy fun pool competitions and lots of praise and even more laughter and enjoyment. The guest that stay here are a rare breed of people who are actually content with having a good time with no electronic devices and just a simple drink by the pool enjoying each other's company. Moms wore bathing suits and actually got in the pool. Everyone is welcome here and all feel comfortable. What a wonderful thing. Did I mention the Gulf of Mexico sunsets... They will leave you speechless and all are ocean side to witness them.
We hate to leave, We cannot wait to come back. Bravo Guy Harvey Outpost, you know how to host a family vacation!! Thank you.

5 Thank SkysMommy4
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
SkysMommy4,
We're thrilled you had a fantastic family getaway with your son at Guy Harvey Outpost. It's so nice to hear that you got to meet some wonderful people while you were here. It sounds like EVERYONE was relaxed and really taking our motto (Just Let Go) to heart. St. Pete Beach is definitely a special place and we're very lucky to be a part of it. Thank you very much for all of your kind words and recommendations. We can't wait for you to return.
Kind Regards,
Leni
Tampa Bay, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We went for lunch and it was pricey with limited selection. The food we got was good. The service lacked, as we waited 15 minutes for a server and the restaurant was barely half full. Our lunch ended up being 2 hours with the waiter delay and food delay. Luckily, we were seated next to the tank, which was relaxing and kept my son entertained. Beautiful fish.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank mandiebrian
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Please accept my apologies for the delay you and your family experienced at the Rumfish Grill. We still have some kinks to work out and have recently revamped the menu in order to stream line the process. On your next visit to St. Pete Beach I am sure we will exceed all of your expectations.
We look forward to our next opportunity to impress you.

Warmest Regards,

Chris Metro
Guest Satisfaction Manager
Tradewinds Island Resort
St. Pete
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

After hearing all about the amazing fish tank in our local papers and watching "Tanked", I was very excited to try out the new restaurant. I went in a group of three adults and two kids for lunch on a Saturday afternoon. First off, the aquarium is amazing! The kiddos I was with were super excited and couldn't wait to check it out. The food, was just okay. I felt that the menu prices were a bit high for the amount of food we got, and the kids meals were very pricey. I had the fish tacos and they were lacking...very little filling.

I would probably return, but maybe just for a drink and appetizer while marveling at the aquarium.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jfoga99
Denver Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a five day stay in a Gulf Front one bedroom (Rm 1822) on the first floor. It was our first vacation with our daughter, a two and a half year old and I wanted three things: (1) a separate room for her to sleep/nap; (2) easy access to the pool and beach; and (3) a way to socialize with folks during our daughter's downtime. Guy Harvey offered all that and more. It is a stellar, cozy location, with a nice but not luxurious room, with great amenities, especially for families with kids.

First let me say that I felt confident in the location based on reviews, and the price was right, but I was trepidatious given a few sketchy reviews and comments. For instance, we were really worried about evening noise from the property bar or tiki bar next door. I'm a sucker for room tips and several suggested that the noise would be terrible at night, keep us and our child up, and that we should instead ask for a room away from the bar and higher up in the building. I took a risk and nonetheless specifically requested a first floor Gulf Front unit because I had also read that they each have a separate, personal patio overlooking the pool and bar area. I'm so glad I did!! As advertised, the gulf front first floor units have a great little patio with table, chairs, and umbrella, directly next to the pool, bar area, and other socializing areas. Ours was the corner unit abutting the bar and the neighboring Tiki Bar -- while both had live entertainment each night, the Guy Harvey entertainment ends at about 9PM and the Tiki Bar live music ends around 10/11. Neither were loud enough to bother our daughter, who went to bed at 8 (and the bedroom is furthest from the patio/pool/bar area. We LOVED being able to hang out in our private area in the mornings, eat lunch or dinner while listening to the music, and best of all hang out on our patio with some wine in the evenings while our daughter slept. Given the way the hotel is designed, you cannot see the ocean from the first floor units, but that didn't bother us. We felt badly for everyone in higher floors who had a great view but no patio or balcony (a real shame that the hotel didn't design those higher floors with that in mind).

Second, the amenities were great (for us). For parents with 4+ age kids, both this hotel and the sister resort have kids clubs and activities throughout the day. Our daughter was too young for that, but she did enjoy the nightly s'mores campfire time (as did we), and we really liked that the hotel shows films on a big blow up screen in the evenings, for kids and adults. We visited the Trade Winds, but unlike some other reviewers, we thought Guy Harvey was a better, more quaint location. We did do the free paddleboats and the free (and AWESOME) water slide at the Trade Winds. Little kids can ride with their parents and this was a huge hit for our daughter.

Some Cons:

1. We had to specifically call the front desk and request maid service on virtually every day. We saw our maid and she was extremely friendly and efficient, but either there was an issue with timing or soemthing else. Regardless, every day around 3PM we'd call and request service.

2. The Kitchennette is serviceable but tiny and does not have a real oven or a dishwasher. For longer stays, that can be an issue. It doesn't even have basic condiments like sugar and salt.

3. My husband did find a cockroach in the bathroom halfway throught the stay. This was probably our fault as we sometimes left the patio sliding door open, and I understand that this comes with living near the beach in Florida, so I don't blame the hotel. Still, not pleasant.

4. When we visited (in July) the small pool almost always had more people than the max allowance of 18 and it was always really warm. Sometimes the warmth was nice, in the evening especially, and sometimes it was just too much in the heat of the day. For my daughter, she enjoyed all the bussle around the pool so the relative "crowds" (like 20 people) worked for us. Tradewinds has several other pools, and one that is covered and much cooler. We'd go there in the hottest part of the day as there is virtually no shade around the GH pool and you can bake.

5. This review is all about the family nature of the hotel. If this is an adults get away, a romance trip, or a gals outing or something... I wouldn't recommend this hotel. The adult pool is off to the side of the hotel and seemed really boring every time I walked by. With all the kids everywhere, the restaurant and bar areas may also not have what you are looking for. But if you are traveling with kids my view is that this is the single best place to stay on St. Pete.

Room Tip: If you have kids but want to enjoy the atmosphere and evenings, I highly recommend a Gulf Front one...
2 Thank Amber_Sayle
TradeWinds-Leni, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Hello Amber _Sayle,
We truly appreciate your detailed and thoughtful overview of your stay at Guy Harvey Outpost on St. Pete Beach. We're so glad your family enjoyed your first floor, gulf view suite overlooking the pool and our brand new SandBox beach lounge area. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and recommendations. We hope you'll bring the family back for more fun sometime soon.
Kind Regards,
Leni
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

We only went because we had read about snorkeling in the tank,which reservations told us would not be a problem.upon ck in was told it was not available disappointed my 13yr who was excited about this...our bath tub had horrible rust. When we complained to mgnt they seemed less than supportive. You could of posted on the website about the fish aquarium, maybe i could hav seen it and rescheduled....hope Baynews 9 does a story about the availability of the aquarium...i wouldnt come back if it was free..not to mention drunks throwing things into the adult pool from the balcony

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank mrsnascarmom
Lakeland, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Year round my family saves as much money as possible with our two teacher salary and goes on a family vacation. This year we chose the Tradewinds Guy Harvey Outpost upon pulling into the parking garage we were all ecstatic. My parents along with my 15 year old younger brother and myself were all expecting a great accommodating stay. We arrived at 2:30 check in being at 4 we were not surprised when they told us our room was not ready yet. So we decided to walk around and scout out places to eat and other fun things. We returned at 4 to check on the status of our room we were told it would be ready in a few more minutes we were fine with this and continued our scouting. But when we were told "just a few more minutes" again at 4:30, 5, and 5:30 we were starting to get a little annoyed finally we were told our room was ready around 5:45 on a day when there were two other families in the lobby. The nicest person we dealt with at the actual hotel was one of the cleaning ladies. We went to the Rum Fish Grill gift shop throughout our 3 day vacation spending up to two hundred dollars on shirts, tumblers, and hats. My mom bought my dad a shirt as a surprise because doesn't handle buying things for himself that he doesn't feel necessary at any time, especially on vacation. When we found the shirt was too small we went back to return/exchange the shirt as well as purchase more. Only to be told that we couldn't return the shirt because my dad had gotten deodorant on the side. When asked somewhat jokingly if we could just wash it off and exchange the shirt towards the items we were buying the woman behind the counter told us and had already seen the "stain" so no because she would not be able to sell the shirt. So my brother put his two shirts and hat he was going to purchase back, I put my shirt, tumbler, car sticker, and glasses back and my mom put her shirt and tumbler back as well. I mean seriously a deodorant line and you won't even exchange the shirt towards the possibly hundred dollar purchase we were planning on making? That's being ridiculous and unreasonable. I've seen shirts at NORDSTROMS with deodorant marks. We were called three times on our three day stay, at 8 in the morning so the staff could ask if we would like to attend their time share/condo sales pitch. And as the cherry on top we were told the day we checked in that check out time was at 12. On the day we were to check out a member of the staff knocked on our door at 11:30 to tell us that check out was at 11 and inquire what time we would be leaving. Are you joking? You wait more than an hour after our check in time to give us our room keys but you're knocking on our door a half hour after check out time when we were only following the incorrect time YOUR staff gave us?! Incredibly rude if you ask me. There were brighter sides of this trip but they were simply tarnished by the less accommodating experiences. There were a lot of activities for small and young children which would explain the large numbers of them. So it could be good for families with young children who would be willing to put up with the less than helpful attitudes. The Rum Fish Grill staff was helpful especially a bartender named Eric. And they had a wonderful band on Friday night. But I don't think I will be returning or recommending this hotel to anyone.

2 Thank Madison C
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
As the Director of Guests Satisfaction please accept my apologies for your experiences while at the Guy Harvey OutPost. I have already forwarded this to the front desk, housekeeping and retail managers for further review. Communications with our guest pertaining to your issues and others are always critical that they be explained properly and correctly. Identify the reason for the wait and take the necessary action for resolution. Thank you for the positive comments regarding Eric at the RumFish Grill, of which I will also pass on. I hope that you will not let this prevent you from staying with us again, and if I could be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you. drogers@twresort.com