“Great Place! Beautiful beach, outstanding customer service!”

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I have not had the best of luck when it comes to resorts lately so I spent a lot of time researching for this trip and we were so happy my time invested paid off!. I have to say that all the negatives that I have read on Trip Advisor were absolutely not evident on our stay! The free Happy Hour included with your stay was just that..happy! You had your choice of beer, wine or a rum punch and yes you can have more than one within that hour. Our favorite bartender was Victor. You can tell he loves his job and being with people, he was very personable. Unlike some of the others which is not a bad mark on them at all, Victor just stood out among the rest! Our rooms and grounds were very clean. I say rooms because we did have our room upgraded to a penthouse room that had a killer view and a private patio overlooking a partial view of the ocean. Elisha at the front desk was amazing and extremely patient with us as we vacillated over which upgrade we were going to take. She was quick to ask us what was wrong with our stay when someone called our room and woke up my boyfriend to discuss a return visit and he was a little put off by this. She was ready to make amends immediately and seemed very concerned that we were having a problem. That is what I like to see in a customer service agent. She was the best. Second, I saw a lot of reviews about being hounded to do the timeshare thing. All we had to do was say no thank you at check in and we were left alone. No one asked us again about it. Everyone was so friendly, the beach was amazing! We were there for Labor day weekend and it was crowded Sunday and Monday (our first two days there), but there was always room in the pools and we did get a cabana without any issues. We did not eat at the Guy Harvey Grill, we just thought for what you ordered the price did not justify that. Instead we walked the street and found a couple of great restaurants along the road. If you like Mexican you have got to try Agave, amazing is all I can say!!! The room itself was a bit small but really how long are you in your room when you have an amazing beach yards away? I was first considering the Island Grand and I am so glad I did not stay there it was way too big, I never did find the paddle boats. I do have to say that I found a chameleon in my room on my ironing board. LOL he must have hitched a ride in one of our bags, we promptly caught him and released him outside into the well kept grounds. Overall everything was wonderful but this place did have its short comings. First, no music by either the family pool or the adult pool (and yes there were absolutely no children allowed in the adult pool while we were there), I understand a "quiet" place by the adult pool but it was ridiculously quiet. Not saying you should have club music pumped in but something other than inaudible steel drums would be just as relaxing. Possibly rotating genres in the family pool area could be an option? We usually just used my cell phone for some music. The bed was just ok. The pillows were too hard for my boyfriend and he usually threw them on the floor and went without a pillow til he went and got his own out of the car. The price of the drinks and food were high, but I expect that from any resort period. Plus there was only one sit down restaurant, a tiki bar and the cafe in the lobby. Good thing there is a plethora of options on either the beach or the street and you can use all the amenities at the Island Grand too. Overall I would definitely recommend this place and would stay again in a heart beat! I am already planning when my next visit will be! Thanks again to the staff at Guy Harvey for a wonderful, relaxing week!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter away from the pool. Some of the corner rooms have partial ocean views for...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank smb1005
Write a ReviewReviews (2,823)

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here in September 2013 for the second week of a two centre Florida holiday and had 2 rooms between ourselves and our 3 teenagers.

Whilst the hotel is a little dated and feels a little motel like at first, any worries were quickly abated by the fantastic staff. Everyone - Derrick, Justis, Carmen, Chris, Shelley, Cissy to name a few - was very welcoming (from front desk to waiting staff to the cabana guys) and were always willing to go out of their way to help.

We had a great week. The rooms (we were upgraded to suites) were clean and comfortable...albeit the double beds aren't queens and the sofa bed is a bit lightweight.

Food / drink service and quality was excellent and the hotel is located right on the beach with comfortable cabanas that come without charge (unless you want front row).

You also get use of the facilities at the sister Tradewinds Grand hotel. To be honest, we never felt the need to use them and they're not immediately next door (the water park / slides are a few hundred yards down the beach).

The location is a great base to explore St Pete's and surrounding area. It was the first time we'd spent an extended stay there and we thoroughly enjoyed it - a great and relaxing contrast to the Orlando week we'd enjoyed the week before.

Room Tip: If there's more than two of you consider upgrading rooms or getting more than one room. Don'...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rchughes
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Our bellman Justis was excellent. He was very knowledgeable about the premises and the most courteous and personable bellman I've run across in my many travels. Thanks Justis. I hope the rest of our stay is as good as the first impression you've given us.

1  Thank Devin L
Katie M, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Laura, thank you for your review and we're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you back on the beach sometime soon!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

First, the staff was amazing! Front desk, bell hops, housekeeping, security, the gal at Starbucks counter and the cabana guys were friendly, engaging, and top notch. The place is spotless in a beautiful tropical theme and the beach and amenities are fantastic! Guests can use the Tradewind slide, paddle boards, etc. Our room was a bit small (2833) but had kitchenette with frig, microwave, toaster and small coffee pot, and we were over the waterfall pond with ocean view. The parking area is a bit tight, but easily accessible. This resort has better access for wheelchairs, etc than the Tradewinds and I was glad I stayed at the Guy Harvey Outpost. There were some partiers over the weekend, but the rooms were quiet and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Laura N
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel , great location, only issue was the comfiness of the sofa bed. In the end was improved with mattress on floor rather than sofa.
Location was superb with some good resteraunts close by, Cafe Luna was superb!
Excellent beach , second only to Fort Desoto north beach.
Unexpected but welcomed free happy hour 5-6.
Best views of the Gulf is on the 6/7th floor , however the air con motors are also situated on the roof so you will experience noise throughout the night - either drop down a floor or invest in ear plugs!
Elisha on reception was extremely helpful ,
Come on Guy Harvey , upgrade your sofas to obtain the 5 * trip advisor rating

1  Thank sp0rtback
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Add beautiful graphics to an already very nice Tradewinds resort and get this great new old place. The amenities are still great and the staff way above most places in this class. Lock on my door was not working well and they changed it in five minutes. Great and friendly service that keeps exceeding your expectations.

1  Thank rogersober
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Fish fish fish every were you look its fish, as one of the staff said as we walked along a corridor there are Guy Harvey paintings all over they are beautiful.
This hotel is one of the better hotels we have used it is on a beautiful beach when we arrived at the
reception to check in it was done in a flash and we were off to our room the lifts from reception to all floors are big with a good outside view as you go up.
We were on the third floor which is great if you are going rent a car as you can drive up to the third floor an go straight into your room,
We had a twin bedded room not the biggest room but clean and the beds were very good three things went wrong in our week there first my partner broke the jug of the coffee maker that was her
fault it was replaced strait away,
The toilet broke and the air con stopped working I rang reception within ten minutes the hotel maintanence man Ron was there to fix the toilet and air con very nice chap,
The room maid was one of the most pleasant people, I can't remember her name but she is from Morroco lovely girl,
The hotel has a great pool and beach side bar and it is run by VICTOR he is great all my family loved him so friendly and full of chat and he makes a great cocktail ( thanks Victor ),
We took a trip to bush gardens which had to be in a taxi and was very expensive there's no other way,
If the Manager reads this could he not utilise the bus that stands in the corner of the car park to take people to bush gardens I think it would be good for the hotel,
We also used the hotel restaurant the girls in there are also very nice and gave us great service the food was excellent I tried the 3G its a super Berger all the food we had was cooked perfectly no complaints,
You can walk onto the beach and you have loads of sun beds you can also use the sister hotels next door so all together its a big big place,
The sea is blue,the sand is white, the sunsets are red, and the Guy Harvey Outpost is gold.
We can honestly say if we had the money we would be back as soon as we could,
Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: All I can say about the rooms is our twin was small very clean and cosy if I ever get the chance to...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family