“Not a good experience”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Crystal River
“Not a good experience”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here and though it would be a very nice resort since it was a Tradewinds Resort. When we arrived there were a number of loud mouth people just hanging out in the lobby area ghetto talk etc. and kids running around. It took 15 minutes to get check in help. We had a room with a balcony and the only water view we had was a small area between 2 other buildings. The rooms were very tiny and the hotel is an old building which is actually 2 hotels down from the Tradewinds Resort. They tried to spruce up the old hotel by putting some guy harvey décor on the walls. The hotel layout is very odd. The pictures looked great on the internet but we were ready to leave as soon as we got there and saw what the hotel looked like. We would never consider this place again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank R H
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for us not meeting your expectations. Without the specifics of your reservation I can only comment that we are fortunate to be very busy during the summer season as we have the majority of leisure travel with families at this time. Regarding your room type and location, I'd be more than happy to assist with any future reservations to ensure that the noise is reduced to that of the rolling waves along with the view of the sunset.
Doug Rogers
TradeWinds Island Resorts
drogers@twresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
Longwood, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Finally! A family vacation for the first time in six years. Our adult children were coming to visit for the Fourth of July weekend and wanted to go to the beach. St. Pete Beach it is. The Guy Harvey looked great. Plenty of activities for all. Arriving at the hotel, there was no one to help with luggage. Parked in parking garage and went to front desk to check-in. I had booked a suite with gulf view. Two double beds, pull-out couch, and kitchenette sounded perfect for us. We were given a room on the six floor. To get help with luggage, we had to get the car in the parking garage and drive back to the front of the building. Finally had a bellman help with luggage. The room layout is strange. the rooms are situated like a motel. you enter the room from outside. Opening the door, you are immediately in the bedroom. Next is the kitchenette and living area. Makes sense for viewing the beach, but not so good when you're undressing in the bedroom area and your family walks in. We had arrived right before a large rainstorm. A common happening in Florida. As it rained, we realized water was soaking into the carpet near the sliding doors. Long story short, the only dry area for the entire weekend was the center strip of the carpet. People in room next to us kept knocking on our door. Found out later, they thought their flooding was coming from our room. Rooms surrounding the adult pool had sandbags lining their patio doors.
The beds and pillows were horrible.
Staff wasnot knowledgeable, food in restaurant overpriced, long lines for slides, etc.
We have been to many beach resorts, but have never had water come into the room and soak the carpet and our clothing in suitcases a on the floor.
The bar next door was incredibly loud, but it was the 4th of July.
Had problems with reserving cabanas, shower handle was broken, nowhere to hang swimsuits....At checkout I asked to speak with the manager, but instead Richard at the front desk wanted me to tell him the issues we had. His suggestion was for me to call or email the manager. I said she should contact me. No word from her yet. I filled out the basic hotel survey they emailed to me. I received an email back with standard comments. Too bad you had those issues. Come back and try us again.
Oh, and it took 40 minutes and two phone calls for the bellman to show up so we could check out of the room.
We still enjoyed our family time, but from a hotel that renovated a year ago, we expected more.
The St. Pete Beach area is lovely. For the price we paid, over $1250 for three nights, stay somewhere else. There's plenty of other hotels along the beach.

• Stayed July 2013
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I purchased this room on a "last minute" iPhone app. It wasn't cheap, but cheaper than I had seen it recently. I checked in around 5:00pm and I didn't expect much since it was a 3rd party reservation. To my surprise, I was upgraded to a king room with a pool view. It was on the 1st floor with a great patio and full size table with four chairs. Perfect for a night of beer drinking before and after the Devil Rays/Tigers game! The only downside of the visit was minimal parking spaces and a choke inducing $30 resort fee. But the pools were nice, the beach was great, and location is really good. I'm glad I chose to stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was very excited going to the Guy Harvey for the 1st time. I have a 5 and 6 year old and thought that the pools and slide would be perfect for us. However, it took us 15 mins just to get our stuff out of the car because there was no one to help us. When we asked the employee at the door she told us to "find a bellhop". Well, if we could have, we would have!

Then, we checked in and went to our standard room on the 6th floor. On our way up it started to POUR rain. We got into the room soaked with our luggage that no one helped us with and was immediately unhappy. The room was so small. Granted it was Standard, but it felt closterphobic. And, it felt very dated.

After I unpacked 4 peoples worth of luggage and food I went over to close the curtains. That's when I realized the floor was soaked and the air was humid. I bent over to find a hole in the door that the rain and wind was blowing through. Ugh. So gross.

My husband went to the front desk pic in hand of the problem and they told us we could move. How nice... They gave us another Standard room, but this one had a balcony. Well, I didnt want one. I have two small children and they are the reason I didnt book one in the 1st place.

However, we packed everything up and yet again moved ourselves to the other room. We unpacked again and then decided to shower so we could leave for dinner. Ha. Trick on us. Our shower faucet was broken. My husband ended up taking a "bath" that barely rinsed his legs.

I went to the front desk and told them the problem. With the most uncaring attitude she told us she'd send someone to fix it.

4 hours later (9:30) at night when we got back, it still wasnt fixed.

And, durning that 4 hours I was told immediately that the inflatiable slide and ocean playground was out of order pending repairs. Oh, you mean the only reason I booked this hotel? Yeah, those... So, we ended up at the only pool I found for children at that property which was over flowing with people.

I called the front desk about the faucet that was still broken when we returned to the room. He told me there was a "trick to it, that he couldnt explain over the phone". He sent a man up to explain to us that it was and is broken. It has a repair ticket out on it and there was nothing more he could do. Well, that's great! Thanks for the new room! Like they didnt know that when they moved us there?

On the brightside, he did get the shower to come on. But, we had to settle for luke warm water because there was no way to set it to hot. Just what I want after a long swim in the ocean.

Oh, and did I mention this door wasnt sealed on bottom either? Yeah, I just wanted to go to bed. We left at 6:30 the next morning. Never to go back again.

For $230 a night I expect WAY BETTER.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Shepopeh
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
This review is currently under investigation pending further information to determine and correct the issues mentioned. As soon as this has been resolved, we will provide an updated response.
Treasure Island, Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I came into the resort to purchase a Guy Harvey gift. I live in Treasure Island and my family lives on St Pete Bch. Vinette Lewis proudly keeps her area on your property immaculate!!!! She is also very friendly and truly appreciated!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank happyshopper11
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We took our six year old granddaughter for a couple of days at the beach. Our room was on the family pool which provided a lot of pool time. The room had a small kitchenette and a separate sitting room. Being part of the Tradewinds Resort, you could use all of the facilities of the resort as well. Great beach find! Also good restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: If you're not traveling with children, they also have an adults only pool area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Katie M, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Happy to hear you and your granddaughter enjoyed your stay with us! Hope to see you back on the beach sometime soon.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed at the guy Harvey outpost checked into our room and soon as I opened the door I seem a roach then later on that night I went out on the beach was coming back in past the pool area and seen 5 more roaches needless to say I was disappointed and will not return

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank kellyann01241
JustLetGo8, Guest Relations Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
As the Director of Guest Satisfaction please accept my apology for your experience with the roaches. We take this very seriously and need further information to determine which room you were in. Could you please provide me additional information to make sure this has been properly treated and resolved.
Please contact me directly at : drogers@twresort.com
Thank you.