“Wonderful place!!”

Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I loved this hotel! It's just the right size if you're not the resort type of person. They have these incredible, beautifully renovated 2 bedroom suites with kitchen, living room, dining room that are to die for, great for a family reunion like we had!!! Two normal-sized pools, 1 kids facing the beach where there's some action, and a nice adult one in the garden. Beautiful beachfront location, miles to walk or jog, restaurants galore on the strip, but still restful atmosphere on the beach. Go and enjoy!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Josy213
Katie M, Manager at Guy Harvey Outpost, a TradeWinds Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope to see you back on the beach sometime soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,822)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice resort... but... rooms were a little small for the price. One restaurant, one outside bar, one -very small inside bar, which also was mostly a coffee and pastry shop. Staff were great and helpful. Had to ask about 'priviledges' at the TRADEWINDS resort 2 blks down the beach. That was really nice. Guy Harvey was TOO quiet for my tastes.... and I am a senior citizen.

GuyHarvey is centrally located in St Pet Beach...... lots of bars restaurants, to visit.

Suggest asking about any room 'specials' they offer before booking.

Wife and I would go stay here again.

Room Tip: ask about location and size of room before booking
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I just returned from a vacation at the Guy Harvey Outpost and I have stayed at the Tradewinds Island Grand a few times in the past. In my opinion, there is no comparison. The Tradewinds Island Grand is much, much better. The rooms are nicer, cleaner and larger at the Island Grand. I find the Guy Harvey Outpost has an outdated feel to it and it is not nearly as nice as the Island Grand. The Island Grand has a big beautiful lobby, when we walked into Guy Harvey's, I actually said to my husband, "where is the front lobby?" It is not as impressive at all. Also, there is not a waterway with paddle boats at the Guy Harvey, and the restaurants are not as good. It basically is cheaper and in this case, you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a bit more and have a nicer, cleaner, larger room. I would recommend staying at the Tradewinds Island Grand the next time you are staying in the St. Pete Beach area. I would not stay at Guy Harvey Outpost again. The rooms have a feeling of being old and dated. Instead of re-doing the rooms, when it changed over to from the Tradwinds Sandpiper to Guy Harvey Outpost, they just basically changed the name and that is it. They should have renovated/updated the rooms, but as far as I can see, they did not. I personally would not stay at the Guy Harvey Outpost again.

Room Tip: My tip is to stay at the Tradewinds Island Grand instead of the Guy Harvey Outpost by Tradewinds.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Alonso was the best bellhop I've ever had. He was friendly and worked very hard and not to mention was incredibly cute. The location of the hotel is amazing, we even saw dolphins. It was an awesome experience and would go back. The rooms were a little small but I can deal with that. Staff is very friendly.

1  Thank ShelbyCaruso
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Great service. Shelly Ciccolini at the pool bar is wonderful. She's sweet. I love the grounds. Everyone is great! The poolside is beautiful. The beach is breathtaking. Shelly to excellent care of my bridal party. She was helpful and a great pleasure to be around.

1  Thank MaddyP7770
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great place but rooms are too small for our likes :( beach is awesome - lots to do and eat in the area - Larry's ice cream - Gigi's for pizza - beach cabana system worked well - great for large groups - seven eleven across the street was key - you don't need car at this place

1  Thank Markpotts
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I spent three weeks in late January to mid-February at this hotel on St Pete Beach and had a lovely, really relaxing holiday! We had a Gulf-View Suite with a bedroom, compact kitchen area, bathroom and living room, so it was really like renting an apartment. The view of the Gulf of Mexico out of our huge, sliding windows was beautiful, and the late afternoon sun streamed into our room, warming it up perfectly for the cool Florida winter evenings. The days were sunny and hot but the evenings at this time of year are cool, so this evening warmth was very welcome. The beach, just a few steps away, is lovely: beautiful white sand with comfortable cabanas, and kept very clean. The only downside to the beach is the same problem that all beaches on this coastline appear to have: the gulls. They have become used to easy pickings from the tourists, some of whom are silly enough to actually feed them, even though this is strongly discouraged, and they wait by your sun bed if they see or smell food in your hands. In fact, they sometimes swoop down at speed and whisk the food right out of your hands, which is quite an alarming experience, so we quickly learnt never to attempt to eat on the beach!
We really enjoyed the Happy Hour between 5.00 and 6.00 every evening at the hotel's own beach bar, the Sandbar, when free drinks were served: draft beer, wine or rum punch. We couldn't believe it at first, but worked out that it was probably covered by the resort fee. Still, this also paid for the parking and the free use of the beach cabanas, so it turned out to be very good value. Even better, our holiday company (On the beach.com) had charged this to our credit card in advance as part of the overall cost of the holiday, so we didn't even notice this resort fee, whereas we were expecting to have to pay it when we checked out.
At this time of year, the hotel's clientele seemed a little on the elderly side, but an unforeseen upside was to make us feel very young and sprightly, so this didn't matter! At weekends, the place filled out with younger couples and families, which is when the adults-only pool area came into its own. The only disadvantage is that as this pool terrace is at the back of the hotel, the sun sinks behind the building during the afternoon, and, in winter anyway, it becomes quite cold. No matter, though, because the front of the hotel is then the place to be, for the free drinks first and then the splendid sunset on this west-facing beach.
Later on in the evening, the adult pool and terrace area comes into its own again, because it has a lovely hot tub, heated to 104F! I spent many hours in here over the course of the three weeks, between the sunset and our evening meal, and it was a pleasant place to chat to other residents.
The only disadvantage about our whole holiday experience (and the reason why I didn't give it 5*) was the lack of a balcony on our sea-facing room. (Other rooms apparently did have balconies but none of the Gulf-view rooms did.) I had mentioned wanting a balcony when I first booked, but the final details were arranged on the phone, and I just didn't notice this omission in the list of facilities our room had when given to me quickly on the phone. This made it very hard to dry swimming costumes etc, although beach / pool towels weren't a problem as the hotel provided these fresh every day. Funnily enough, when I asked at Reception if they had an airer I could use for this purpose they hadn't even heard of such a thing. Very different from apartments in Europe, where there is always some sort of clothes airer on the balcony. In the end I decided to rig up a line of chairs in front of the windows to soak up the sun and air swimming things while we were out. I don't know what all the other hotel residents with similar rooms did: perhaps they had a different costume for every day of the week! (On second thoughts, I was often the only person in the adult pool in the evenings, and there was hardly anyone in the sea as it was still so cold, so perhaps people didn't actually get wet!)
One other factor worth mentioning is not the hotel's fault in any way at all, but a feature of being in the US: although we had two large televisions in our apartment, we could not really watch tv at all because the quality of the programmes was so absolutely dreadful. Most of the time was taken up with appalling adverts for medical treatments and prescription drugs, which had long lists of contra-indications (obviously compulsory in the US) which usually included a risk of depression, suicide or death. We didn't watch the TV again after one evening of this!
The Toasted Monkey Bar next door to our hotel did have loud music, as mentioned in a previous review, but this was nearly always an excellent live performance, which added to our enjoyment. As said previously, the music had stopped by midnight, so it proved to be no problem at all.
Overall, an excellent hotel on a lovely white sand beach - highly recommended!

Room Tip: If you want lovely views and lots of space, with a kitchen, and don't mind the lack of a balcony...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple