“Fantastic Location , excellent views of the gulf”
Review of Gulf Strand Resort

Gulf Strand Resort
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Stayed in Unit 401 from May 7-15th,2010. This unit needs to be updated with new furniture and bathrooms need to be updated as well. For a few thousand dollars this unit could look fantastic. Otherwise clean and o.k. The gulf front location and the views of the gulf (especially the sunsets) make this resort a fantastic bang for the buck. The resort is very clean and has a great pool, although a little small. Strategically located across from Dolphin Shopping Center which has Grocery store, pharmacy and a bunch of other little stores including restaurants. The location and beach access makes this place a sure bet.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 6, 2010

I accompanied family members to St Pete for medical purposes. We reserved a condo at Gulf Strand so that our loved one could recover from surgery on the beach & be near the doctor for follow-up visits. We found our Gulf Strand condo to be dirty upon our arrival. Fold out sleeper-sofa unusable due to dirt & dirty mattress pad. Floors were filthy with lots of hair, sand & dirt. Remotes on tv didn't work, lights didn't work & the condo was generally unkempt & in need of several repairs. Talked to people in another condo who had the same complaint that their condo was also dirty. Staff on site was unresponsive. Off site management responded by asking us many many questions & generally approaching our complaints as if the situation was our fault. We drove down the street, found beach front property with friendly staff & cheaper prices & promptly made our reservation for our next stay! Their loss & our benefit!

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed April 5, 2010

The Gulf Strand is a great place, good location, good facilities, immediate access to beautiful beach. We and our friends, 14 individual couples/families moved into this resort from other nearby places three years ago and have been very pleased EXCEPT for the cleanliness. The people TRS has hired to clean the rooms do a terrible job preparing for the next guests. And many of the rooms really need a good, periodic scrubbing. Our room 206, has been thoroughly updated, but the dining table is packed with dust...the rug needs serious cleaning. Our pull-out couch is not the most comfortable to sit on and sleeping on it is like sleeping on a waffle iron. However, there is so much good about this facility that we all come back every year. The office staff (Dave), and the grounds maintenance (Jack & his crew) are terrific. Wireless computer connection is terrible...always going in and out - frustrating!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We stayed in unit 306 and had a great time. The unit was well taken care of and very clean. You could tell the owner put work into it. The staff was very helpful with our needs. The only bad things is that we had to leave to go back home. I look forward to our next time there. I would recommend this place to any one that is looking to be on the beach. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We recently stayed at Gulf Strands Resort, unit 306 June 4-8. We were completely disgusted at the condition of our unit and will not being staying again and neither will our friends or family. Below are the listed issues with our unit:

*unit tile was sticky and dirty
*doors were dirty with food drippings and hand prints
*sliding glass doors were broken and shades did not completely close
*mats in bathroom were visibly dirty with grime and hair, walking in socks made the bottom of our feet filthy
*bed sheets were torn and stained (we had to go buy our own sheets and comforter)
*the TV remote was not functional and the battery case was held on with a band-aid
*the washer broke and began smoking during a load of laundry
*mildew and mold in both bathrooms (we had to buy bleach to clean them ourselves)

This company should really make more of an effort to inspect units before renting them. It is such a shame because Gulf Strands is located in a prime location in St Pete Beach and was reasonably priced (not when you consider the mess we had to deal with) compared to other resorts. If we were not so much in love of the location we would have packed and left this resort. HORRIBLE!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rguerrina
Reviewed April 23, 2009

My husband and I along with our two kids (ages 5 & 7) stayed at the Gulf Strand for one week in April 2009. We booked online and seemed pleased with the process and talked with a pleasant young lady also on the phone.

We arrived to find the place very busy with others checking in so we made our way first to our very narrow (we have an SUV) parking spot next to another SUV. Upon opening our door I thought there had been a huge mistake. This certainly was NOT the lovely unit pictured on the website - modern furnishings, granite counters, oak cabinetry, Oh no, this was what I'd describe is typical, trashy Floridian-style junk. It appeared to have been furnished by a garage sale. Lamps didn't match, the tv stand barely held together, all-mismatched furnishings in the bedroom, you didnt dare run the 1970's ceiling fan in the living room for fear it would fall right out, and did I mention DIRTY? Ugh yes, dirty. Stained carpets (our socks were brown from simply walking on it), dirty couch, nasty grout in the bathrooms and conveniently left hair on the commode. I was almost in tears at the sight of it.

We called the gal downstairs who assured us it had been cleaned but offered to send someone up to clean again, including the carpets if we wanted, but we declined as we saw how well it had been "cleaned " before and really, who wants to deal with someone in your room now with all your belongings (b/c we'd already lugged everything up) to clean your carpets? Luckily I'd packed some clorox wipes and went to town in the bathrooms and put sheets over all the furniture to sit on. We called the manager twice and got no response from him and still never have. The other bad part is this unit is right up front to the street so if your a light sleeper like me all you hear is traffic all night long.

We tried a few other places to stay but of course it being Spring Break it was no use unless we wanted to pay double the amount AND still be left paying for this dump. So needless to say we toughed it out and didn't stay much in the unit itself at all, simply to shower, sleep and eat breakfast on the mismatched dishes and lovely glass top table. I took cups out one morning that were obviously used and put back on the shelves.

Other than the groovy pad we stayed it, our trip was great. The pool was very clean but also very small. It is in a great location as far as restaurants (A+ to Snappers), grocery stores and convenience stores and with a gas station across the street.

With a little investment from the owners of this condo it would be a perfect place to stay but I surely wouldn't rent this unit again. I personally would be ashamed to rent this.

Make sure you ask for pictures of your condo before YOU rent!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank swan7girl
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I spent last New Year's Eve on the beach and had a good time, so thought I'd do it again. By early Dec when I started looking to book a place, most of the hotels in the area I wished to stay were already booked, so when I called the Gulf Strand and was told they had a condo available on New Year's I booked. I was told there was a 3 night minimum stay, and agreed to that- I would check in on 12/31 for three nights. I gave them a credit card, and was told the total came to $499+change; I thought that was OK for three nights, approx $166/night and agreed to the charge.

The unit, 604, that I was assigned was nice, clean and spacious. I was pleased. I stayed two nights, and on the morning of the 3rd day I received a call shortly after 9am to come to the office to sign papers. Upon arrival in the office the woman mentioned me checking out that morning, and I stated that I had booked the place for the minimum stay of 3 nights, and that I planned to check out tomorrow morning. I pointed out that I was told there was a 3 night minimum, which is also indicated on the property's web page. She pulled up my reservation and stated, "No, we've only got you for two nights.", and again I mentioned the fact that the agent that I booked the place with confirmed it was for the minimum 3 nights. She apologized and said the unit was available for the night if I wanted to pay an extra night. I've paid for many vacation rentals, and this one was definitely not worth $250/night, so I told her as much and had to check out that morning. At this point I felt very upset as I was looking forward to a relaxing day on the beach, and having lost my mother on Christmas day really needed this getaway. Obviously whoever booked the room didn't know how to count 3 nights correctly on the calander, and the property manager doesn't know how to make an effort to accomodate a guest when there's been a mistake. I will never return after my experience this morning. I feel ripped off for 2 nights when I planned on 3. I could have stayed at the Don Cesar hotel which is much nicer for about the same amount.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank redddy