“Faith is restored...”

The Salty Rim Grill
Ranked #20 of 145 Restaurants in St. Pete Beach
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: For everyone who loves redemptive powers of the sea and the sensual tastes of the very freshest foods and great drinks, the cure is indeed here: St. Pete Beach’s most festive dining experience, The Salty Rim Grill. The Salty Rim is something from the imagination of an old Florida dreamer or Buffet song. the fresh food is influenced by the great tastes of the Caribbean, Florida Keys and places that rim the Gulf of Mexico. But it’s even more than that, The Salty Rim is a state of mind; the nearest faraway place that the fun loving people of Tampa Bay can escape to… and please when you enter, be sure to check your worries at the door.
Dallas, Texas
“Faith is restored...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

TA will show this is my second review and link to the other one. Clearly, the previous visit was not a good one for all the reasons detailed there. However, I decided to try one more time. This visit was better. Tuna bites were tasty and well cooked. I moved on to try the burger that didn't work last time. This burger was cooked as ordered and wanted. Service also was much more attentive.

Given my first and now third visit were good, I can grant my second was on a bad day for the Salty Rim.

• Visited May 2013

North Laurel, Maryland, United States
“Great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

The grilled mango chicken salad was great! Loved the mango vinagrette. The only bad thing was that as a non-smoker I was unable to sit outside and enjoy the beautiful view...the smoke was intolerable. The doors were left open since it was cool outside, and some of the smoke drifted inside. It's a shame there is not a non-smoking area outside.

• Visited May 2013
Dartmouth, MA
“Not so much..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

We decided to try this as it was an "on the water" eatery. As others mentioned, access is down a dark, dingy corridor. Once in the bar area, there was a funky noticable odor (musty??). We were eating outside on the deck anyway, so I ignored that aspect. On the outside deck there is a big long bar, and lots of tables. It was a fairly slow night, and our service was just fine. Waitress was very friendly and helpful. First disappointment: no frozen drinks! Really?? On the water bar/eatery in FL and none? zippo.nada. OK then... I had a draft beer, my wife had a soft drink. We ordered chicken wings app and they were very tasty. The burgers were just ok (this is not a gourmet restaurant so our expectations were not high anyway), and the fries were decent though not really plentiful. It is on a waterway, so the view was good. The downside was dogs.. yep, welcomed at the place, and I love dogs (we have two at home), but in the restaurant? Really? Barking at each other, and the owners were treating them like spoiled little children (oh, be a good boy now, mummy loves you sweetheart...yuck). That was bad enough, but there was a "love in" going on at the bar. A couple that..ahem... should have just gotten a room somewhere. Strangely, when the fellow left, she stayed, and started in again with another man that she apparently knew as well. Interesting evening :-). I am glad I wasn';t with young kids. Not recommended, and I don't usually give bad reviews, but this place earned it.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Randtor
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Really good food, lots of TVs, fun place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had a large group of people, it was super busy, so service was a little slow, but our server did a great job, the food was really good, and there were so many TVs that everyone could watch the NCAA games no matter where you were sitting. =)

Visited March 2013
1 Thank 5callmemom
Dallas, Texas
“Absolutely unsatisfying...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was actually my second visit, second being a great experience from the first. However, this visit could not have been the more polar opposite. The restaurant was visibly understaffed, and everything suffered because of it. Being visibly busy and staff running around, I really and sincerely was trying to be patient and forgiving.

That said, after sitting at the bar with nothing in front of me for 10 minutes (yes, I started timing after a while on my phone) and nobody offering the smallest acknowledgement, I finally asked someone who walked behind the bar if there was anyone working the bar. She said yes, she was...fine. I ordered a beer and immediately placed an order for a burger and fries - same one I had last time and remembered fondly.

35 minutes later (since I knew I got that first beer at 7:50PM, I know it was 35 minutes later since the phone read 8:27PM), the food arrived. By this point, I had also sat with an empty glass for several minutes with the bartender either too busy or too unconcerned to notice and offer a refill. The fries were okay, but the burger was awful. I really thought about sending it back to give a chance to fix, but if it was 35 minutes first time around how long would I have to wait again - if I could get someone's attention? I was more hungry than picky by this point.

The bacon was hard as a rock - likely from being cooked multiple times, stored, and reheated. The burger, while admittedly ordered medium so I was expecting some pink, was charred on the outside and barely beyond red inside. It seemed obvious the cook saw an extended ticket time and then, instead of cooking properly, slapped the burger on the grill and pressed down with a spatula to "speed up cooking time". Result? Burnt on the outside (and tasted burnt) and undercooked inside. Additionally, since it seems this was the cooking method used the burger was dry, likely from the spatula pressing the juice out of the burger. It was also at best lukewarm so it likely sat on the line waiting to be served after it was rushed.

Again, I get it was busy and anyone could see staff running around. However, this tells me there is poor management going on to either not hire enough staff or not schedule enough staff. If you are unexpectedly understaffed, then you need to stop seating tables you cannot reasonably care for and let groups know there will be a wait to ensure quality service and product.

Though nearby, I am very uncertain if I will return. We will see what response I get to sharing my concerns directly with management.

• Visited March 2013